PDA

View Full Version : Trugreen is beyond persistent

reiterch
05-10-2008, 12:25 AM
I had one application (fert/weeds) done last summer by Trugreen. Ever since they will not stop calling. It is getting ridiculous.

I must have turned them down for additional service 4 times last year, and now this year we are up to about a half a dozen phone calls, as well as two door-to-door visits. I have asked twice now (the second time tonight) to be removed from their solicitation lists. I doubt it'll happen.

Everything I've read here seems to be true, although I didn't read any of it until after the application last year. Honestly I didn't re-hire them because I thought their application didn't do squat. It barely killed anything and didn't green the lawn up barely at all. I've done granular applications myself that turned out better.

Anyways, I just thought I'd share my personal experience and recommend that nobody hire this company.

Firefighter337
05-10-2008, 12:31 AM
What do they say when you tell them to quit calling?

reiterch
05-10-2008, 12:34 AM
What do they say when you tell them to quit calling?

"Ok, we'll take you off our list."

I've only told them this twice so far (the last two times I got the call). The other times my wife answered and just told them, "no, we're not interested".

It's never the same person calling twice either.

Firefighter337
05-10-2008, 12:43 AM
The reason I ask, I had a similar experience with Terminex. (they sprayed for fleas about 5 years ago, It did nothing to them) They use to call once or twice a week.

So one day I called them, and asked to speak to the owner.

The owner was not available. So I wanted to speak to the highest executive available. I was told to hold, then they came back and wanted to take my name and number for them to call me back. I told them I would wait until he/she was available. So I waited 10 minutes on hold and spoke to a man. I told him that I have had several calls to my home for them to conduct business after several requests to be taken off their customer database and call list, all were unsuccessful. He was apologetic and told me he was going to get to the bottom of it.

I got a letter in the mail back in August of last year, from an executive from their office apologizing. I have yet to of been contacted.

mngrassguy
05-10-2008, 03:37 AM
Tell them your moving to a condo. Your house is sold. Works if they believe you

Ric
05-10-2008, 09:36 AM
reiterch

A restraining order by the court might, just might, work for a year. Next year when the new employees are calling you it might be easier to get them to stop because of the court order.

TG has a ton of tricks when it comes selling. Too bad (maybe Thank heavens) their work is so bad. Most of the salesman know nothing and tell the customer anything. One trick is to pull a weed from the customer yard and put it in a TG bag with "LOOK WHAT WE FOUND IN YOUR YARD." I have two stories about that trick. 1st was St Augustine Grass in the bag. (admit the yard was mostly weeds) and 2nd was a grassy weed that can not be controlled selectively.

mikesturf
05-11-2008, 08:06 AM
Tell them your moving to a condo. Your house is sold. Works if they believe you

I had a customer do that, but TG still calls them monthly.

humble1
05-11-2008, 09:21 AM
i think there is something in their contract that to get the discounted first service that you agree to allow them to call you for up to 6 months after you cancel

humble1
05-11-2008, 09:22 AM
if you did to an ex girlfriend what tru green chemlawn does to an ex customer you would be called a stalker

NOOB
05-11-2008, 10:00 AM
it is all about wording
Tell them to put you on the Do Not Call List
Trust me I worked for trugeen for about 6 months I did the calling and door to door it is only legal if you say those words because trugreen does not have a solicitation list they are active customers they had in the past. The condo thing will not work they will still call to see if your are still there if not to see if the new home owner wants the service

Tvov
05-11-2008, 10:04 AM
I've had people ask me for my opinion about their lawns. I tell them that to get rid of the weeds and really greenup and thicken the grass, they should get a fertilizing service. Then they tell me that they've been using Trugreen for the last couple years...

The last year, this has happened at least twice.

Whatever Trugreen is doing, it seems to have nothing to do with lawns!

TLClandscaping
05-11-2008, 11:49 AM
I was a part of Trugreen (NOT ANYMORE), tell them to put you on the do not call list and REQUEST A COPY of it and ask for the marketing mgr, this will work.

The stories I could share, oh the stories..... Marketing mgr before I gave up....

Ric
05-11-2008, 01:45 PM
I was a part of Trugreen (NOT ANYMORE), tell them to put you on the do not call list and REQUEST A COPY of it and ask for the marketing mgr, this will work.

The stories I could share, oh the stories..... Marketing mgr before I gave up....

TLC

My story quick and sweet. A guy I know keeps calling and complaining so they will give half his treatments for Free.

TLClandscaping
05-12-2008, 12:28 AM
Call every 2 weeks for a service call, they are free.... TG will call you evrytime they start something new like, lime, seedings, small 2 or 3 apps, fungies, and since TG has such a turnover, you dont know whos called what, your a name on a paper printed out, just the all-mighty buck, they dont care about you or your lawn...

9/10 dont even know what they are talking about, when they call you, ask them something complex about thier product or what fert are they puting down, come up with somehing.

TG has mixures that are set by corp. in Tennessee, each branch dont always follow it, thats why it wont work....

NOOB
05-12-2008, 12:48 AM
TG has mixures that are set by corp. in Tennessee, each branch dont always follow it, thats why it wont work....[/QUOTE]

That is actaully not true each state is set at different mixures here in florida they buy from Lesco and tell you the truth My lawn look Awesome had them for 2 years now not on phone call plus i put myself on the do not call list since I worked there

DLCS
05-12-2008, 01:21 AM
Tru Green here uses Shaw's fertilizers. The lawns I mow that are treated by Tru Green all usually look nice, but the growth is crazy. Everyone lawn has tremedous growth that is a pain in the ass to mow.

TLClandscaping
05-12-2008, 01:23 AM
All of the spects came though corp. At least our branch did. and yes you are correct about each state.

Im not saying all branch locations are bad, just most lol. Do you think sales reps care about your lawn? If they do, they wont last long @ TG. I still have a couple of friends in TG and I still say what I say because I would like to see some things changed with TG. I miss it sometimes to this day, I really enjoyed it and theres nothing like learning in the field.

Before I left, there was 10 to 15 cancels coming in a DAY! You can only do so much CS if product is not right....

Back to what I was saying, the production mgr always sets the amount by the branch mgr, sales dont have a clue what goes on in that.

How long did you work for TG and what made you leave? Its nice to see a fellow TG employee.

vegomatic40
05-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Bypass the local branch and call corporate.. (901) 766-1105 Generally when they get involved with a customer issue the local branch guys do exactly as they are told.

americanlawn
05-12-2008, 07:05 PM
The "bug in the bag" deal is lower than a snake's belly. How 'bout saying your silver maples need spraying for mites? Spraying trees five times a year, but they never say what the target pest is??? "Ghosting" lawns?? Spray in the rain?? Boom sprayer is always in use on windy days. Six solicitation calls within two days -- One ol' lady was pressured on the phone while she held a funeral dinner for her daughter ------ now that's not good business. When a branch runs out of fertilizer, try spraying water. Or better yet, when root feeding trees, don't bother even turning the pump on....just make it look like you are injecting fert.

The above is merely a fraction of what has been reported to me over the past 20 years by past TruGreen employees that have worked for us and by homeowners. There is much much more, but I must point out that our local TG branch seems to be a good outfit (other than the 1/2 lb of urea etc). Several of their salesmen routinely stop by asking for a sales job, but we politely say, "We don't have any salesmen"...which is true.

Marcos
05-12-2008, 07:39 PM
Anyways, I just thought I'd share my personal experience and recommend that nobody hire this company.

Wow !!!....Reiterch, a homeowner, taking the time and effortto come onto lawnsite to give his / her testimony to the "pros" about the nations largest lawn care company :

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I hope TGCL people out there are tuned into this !!!

:waving::waving::waving:

This is more evidence to support the what I've been thinking about TGCL for the last 10-15 years, at least :

Trugreen Chemlawn can no longer by any means be considered to be viewed as a gargantuan "lawn care company" that swallows up smaller companies.

But rather, it is simply become one of the preeminent global green industry MARKETING CONGLOMERATES , many of which have lost touch with the end-user consumer and/or have deviated too far from their original direction to even notice the people's needs anymore !!!
( i.e..John Deere :hammerhead:)

americanlawn
05-12-2008, 08:10 PM
I started with ChemLawn in the late 70's when the Duke brothers still owned ChemLawn. Then one of the brothers died. The Duke family did their best to keep things running as normal, but eventually the comapany was sold. Waste Management was the first, then another, then TruGreen ---------that's when things went downhill. TruGreen closed down all research stations, and they closed down the research & development facilities. Nothing was left except for "customer base". THEN ChemLawn was called ChemLawnTruGreen, and it quickly became a sales organization. Within the same year, nearly all ChemLawn personel quit. Sad deal.:cry:

TLClandscaping
05-12-2008, 09:13 PM
I didnt know that, sad that TG dont care, reason I had to leave. TG has no room for employees that really care about people, now this is a fact.

Marcos
05-13-2008, 10:06 AM
I started with ChemLawn in the late 70's when the Duke brothers still owned ChemLawn. Then one of the brothers died. The Duke family did their best to keep things running as normal, but eventually the comapany was sold. Waste Management was the first, then another, then TruGreen ---------that's when things went downhill. TruGreen closed down all research stations, and they closed down the research & development facilities. Nothing was left except for "customer base". THEN ChemLawn was called ChemLawnTruGreen, and it quickly became a sales organization. Within the same year, nearly all ChemLawn personel quit. Sad deal.:cry:

I've been in the green industry since I was in high school; which was 1981-82.
I've worked in lawn care off and on since 1985, and have run my own business since '97.

From what I can remember, Chemlawn was bought and sold at least 2 or three times.
But when Chemlawn was sold to ECOLAB in the spring of 1987 was when things went REALLY downhill...as far as "reputation" is concerned.

They've never recovered under the auspices of the name Trugreen.
Servicemaster has only diluted & clouded what TGCL does...probably because Servicemaster has so much else going on...with their vast "menu of services".

pesticide
05-18-2008, 05:25 PM
trugreen is now owned by a private investment group. no longer do they even have stockholders to answer to. bad to worse.

ted putnam
05-18-2008, 06:00 PM
trugreen is now owned by a private investment group. no longer do they even have stockholders to answer to. bad to worse.

Worse for them, good for us. As long as they continue with high employee turnover due to high quotas and the idea of quantity not quality and just overall shoddy business practices as well as workmanship. The rest of us are better off. The bigger they are, the harder they fail, I mean fall!...I say, let the good times roll!

pesticide
05-18-2008, 09:47 PM
no doubt, i had a door-hanger here the other day from a mow-and-go outfit advertising they were the exact opposite of trugreen. didnt mention trubrown by name but anyone familiar with their practices would get a laugh reading the ad.

Frontier-Lawn
05-19-2008, 11:00 AM
in the last 2 weeks i must have had 8-10 door hangers on my front door from dead lawn.

Ric
05-19-2008, 12:55 PM
Yo Guys

I didn't do a search, But I would bet there are more than a hundred posts B1tching about TG/CL.

I think we in the Lawn CARE Business should kiss their sorry butt for giving us the market we have today by creating an interest in Professional Lawn CARE. I think we should even kiss their butt today for doing the louse job they are now doing and increasing our market share. I am a Big Fan of TG/CL and I am glad to see Scotts Lawn CARE following in TG/CL foot steps by promising more and delivering less. God Bless these Morons.

Frank Fescue
05-19-2008, 04:01 PM
if they keep bugging you tell them you're not the homeowner and you rent. and per your agreement you're not allowed to make decisions regarding the things such as pesticide applications.

see these salespeople are told during the first meeting that "not interested" means they arent interested now. maybe because they're eating dinner or too tired to discuss lawn care. you need to say "no". should work most of the time. but the issue is a lot of guys work fromt he same list. they call and the list gets recycled back into the pile to be called again by someone else. a good (rude and pushy) salesman will take "not interested" as a challenge and try to sign you up. usually there is bonus money for signing people up from a cancel/reject list.

if they persist wait for them to ask for mr. or mrs. whomever. ask them whjat their relation is with mr. or mrs. whomever and tell them such a person has been arrested for drug trafficing. inform the person who called that you would like to talk to them regarding mr. or mrs. whomever. they'll hang up.

Tvov
05-19-2008, 06:08 PM
Years ago, a customer of mine got tired of telemarketers, and started telling them that she was only the maid, and the owners were in Europe.