PDA

View Full Version : Can You Really Weed & Feed?

WETSCAPE
05-10-2008, 09:29 AM
I want to fertilize the lawn. Its been 4 weeks since the Billy Goat set the seed down. I have heard that you should use weed control seperate from your fertilizer. I don't want to spray.
The real question is if a weed and feed to be used. what one?
If I do use a weed control what one?
If I do use a separate fertilizer what one?

All products will come from my local lesco dealer here in CT.
Thanks......(as always)!

WETSCAPE
05-10-2008, 09:52 AM
Heres what I am thinking about?

MOMENTUM FORCE 21-0-11E WEED AND FEED

I used there perenial turf rye grass....

Hissing Cobra
05-10-2008, 12:55 PM
If you seeded 4 weeks ago, the grass seed that you've planted is not even close to be able to withstand a conventional weed control. Generally speaking, a newly seeded lawn is not ready for weed controls or crabgrass preemergent controls until it's full and thick, and has been mowed twice. Until then, there's not much you can do in regards to weed or crabgrass growth.

There is a product that you can buy that will control weeds and crabgrass as it emerges in your new seed and that product is called DRIVE. It will not damage your newly seeded sections if it's mixed and APPLIED correctly. It comes in a 1 lb. bottle and retails for around $100.00. It must be sprayed - which you indicated that you didn't want to do.

As far as fertilizer goes, you should be reapplying a starter fertilizer at 3-4 week intervals until it's full and thick. You can and probably should use a granular 12-24-12 Starter Fertilizer + Siduron instead, as the Siduron will stunt the Crabgrass seeds and some weed seeds, but will allow your seed to prosper. It's expensive though and retails for around $115.00 for a 50 lb. bag.

Good luck!

Subterfuge
05-10-2008, 05:52 PM
MOMENTUM FORCE 21-0-11E WEED AND FEED

YES!!! The "E" means elite particles which really means small particles. To get this stuff to work properly you need to apply in a heavy dew so the particles stick to the leaf surfaces and so you can see where you have been as the particles are so fine and dark and are hard to see. If no dew run some irrigation for a minute or so. That is the key. It is absurd that fertilizing and weed control not go together. They are synergistic in fact, as phenoxy herbicides(i.e. 2,4,D) cause the plant to "grow" itself to death through uncontrollable cell division. This is same reason that when you spray during a drought the weeds only turn purple and then rebound. Phenoxy's cause the plant to do the exact opposite of glyphosate(Round-up).

WETSCAPE
05-10-2008, 07:02 PM
Thanks Both! Great advice.