PDA

View Full Version : What's the BEST total vegatation killer ???

RobHawkins
05-10-2008, 11:23 AM
I see non-selective herbicides with Diquat, Glyphosate and both as active ingredients.
What can I spot treat my Orchardgrass with to kill it totally? I want to wipe the herbicide on the upper leaves to carefully touch only the Orchardgrass and not the Tall Fescue.
What BRAND of herbicide would you use in this situation?
Thanks,
Rob

Firefighter337
05-10-2008, 11:46 AM
Sahara?

Possible Helpful website
http://www.pestproducts.com/herbicides/herbicidetypes.htm

Firefighter337
05-10-2008, 11:48 AM
Sahara will kill something to desert. Might not be best in your application.

RobHawkins
05-10-2008, 03:05 PM
Roundup Plus is 0.73% Diquat and 18% Glyphosate. Roundup Concentrate is 50% Glyphosate.
Spectracide Tripple Strike is 2.3% Diquat Dibromide.

I don't want to kill the good stuff in the soil. Just the Orchardgrass.

Glyphosate or Diquat?

RobHawkins
05-10-2008, 03:16 PM
I bought a product called Sideswipe Pro Herbicide Applicator so I could brush the herbicide across the tops of the weeds because they grow taller than the fescue in my lawn. Here is a link to the Sideswipe Pro...

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=8273#

...I hope to reduce the numbers of Orchardgrass weeds in my lawn until late Summer. Then I'll spot spray what's left with a backpack sprayer. Then re-seed in September.

bam
05-10-2008, 03:33 PM
sahara is a soil sterilant and will kill anything it touches including mature trees. Unless the soil is excavated out, you won't grow anything in it for 8-10 months.

Firefighter337
05-10-2008, 06:11 PM
sahara is a soil sterilant and will kill anything it touches including mature trees. Unless the soil is excavated out, you won't grow anything in it for 8-10 months.

:clapping: I used it for larger properties around the fence lines. Saved tons of time.

humble1
05-10-2008, 09:49 PM
flame thrower works good

OSCLandscaping
05-11-2008, 01:06 PM
Round up with Diquat I have found will burn the vegitation out before allowing the roots to die. Resulting in the weeds coming back. I have swithched back to Roundup Pro, just the Glyphosate. Seems to work better for me.

RobHawkins
05-11-2008, 05:16 PM
OSC,
Thanks. I found that Diquat burns the leaves so you see results quickly. But like you said, Glyphosate kills the roots for a permanent removal.
I have a lot of Orchardgrass. I'm letting it grow so I can wipe the seedheads with 41% Glyphosate.
Thanks for the help.
Rob

teeca
05-12-2008, 06:29 PM
Round up with Diquat I have found will burn the vegitation out before allowing the roots to die. Resulting in the weeds coming back. I have swithched back to Roundup Pro, just the Glyphosate. Seems to work better for me.

i have played around with the mix of the two... i put in about 1/2 - 3/4 oz in a 4gal backpack of diquat.

the only reason to use the diquat is for the 'visual' effect for the customer, it does nothing to speed the glyphosate action up, but can causes it to not work. if you do anything just ad a surfactant like 'pentra bark'.