PDA

View Full Version : Is this a Chinch bug? two pics

Liendeni
05-10-2008, 03:28 PM
These are all over the dying areas in this particular St. Aug Grass. Any good formula that I can buy without a license? Will be apply this to my mother's house....not a "for profit" residence. I'm not licensed so please don't send me any information to complicated. Thanks in advance.

greendoctor
05-10-2008, 03:30 PM
Its too big to be a chinch bug. I think it is one of the many species of predatory bugs. They do not eat grass or plants but will eat caterpillars and harmful insects.

RAlmaroad
05-10-2008, 03:42 PM
Here's the culprit:
http://bugguide.net/node/view/47695
Plus, What the doctor said. They love dry hot turf.
Roy

Liendeni
05-10-2008, 03:45 PM
Those white lines you see in the back ground are what makes up a piece of printer paper....unseen to the naked eye. This bug is extremely small - I just have very expensive quality camera....used for things other than bug catching.

greendoctor
05-10-2008, 03:57 PM
Try this for confirmation. Cut off the bottom of a coffee can. Drive that into a section of turf that straddles damaged and undamaged turf about 3 inches into the ground. Fill the can with water. The chinch bugs will be small and as described in that good link Roy posted. The water will make them float to the top. I suggest liquid Sevin or something containing bifenthrin, cyfluthrin or lambda-cyhalothrin. It is a good idea to water the whole lawn before spraying and water again lightly after applying the insecticide unless you are doing this through one of those ready to spray bottles that attach to the hose. St augustine in hot, dry locations gets this pest the worst. I remember maintaining a St augustine lawn in the 1990s. This was on a corner lot, 90 almost every day, less than 10 inches of rain per year. Back then, there was no Talstar or Tempo. I was on a rotation of Orthene, Sevin, Dursban, Turcam and Diazinon. If any of you have never heard of these insecticides, this is right before the EPA banned most organophosphates on residential turf and took Turcam off the market completely.

Liendeni
05-10-2008, 04:12 PM
Thanks doc. I actually saw that "coffee can" trick on the nightly news here in FLorida last night when they were talking about Chinch bugs. Probablem is...I don't drink coffee but I'll find something. Thank you for the information. My mother resod her entire yard about three years ago so I'm simply hoping to help her solve the problem before it gets out of hand. Thanks again for all your help. You don't need a license to purchase Sevin? Correct?

FL-lawnjockey
05-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Take all the advise given here & choose the best that suites your particular situation, needs & wallet.
Then give http://www.southernag.com/ a call. I usually talk with Daryn or Wayne but it don't matter. Explain your situation, your equipment limits, $$ limit & see what products he/they recommend. They'll do you right.

Rob

olive123
05-10-2008, 07:47 PM
looks like a big-eyed bug...chinch bugs natural predator

greendoctor
05-11-2008, 05:29 AM
In most states, a 25% liquid Sevin is an insecticide permitted for use by homeowners. I found out that the three pyrethroid insecticides are sold as bifenthrin(Ortho Bug-B-Gon), cyfluthrin(Bayer Advanced) and lambda cyhalothrin(Triazacide). If this is a large lawn, I think it is best to call in a professional and have him put down a suitable insecticide with a power sprayer. I am a licensed LCO that rountinely deals with smaller turf areas under 10,000 sq ft and I still like the coverage obtained by a high pressure, high volume liquid application. For a 2000 sq ft lawn, I am applying insecticides at 3 gallons per 1000 and at 300 PSI through a boom.

Ric
05-11-2008, 10:20 AM
Take all the advise given here & choose the best that suites your particular situation, needs & wallet.
Then give http://www.southernag.com/ a call. I usually talk with Daryn or Wayne but it don't matter. Explain your situation, your equipment limits, $$ limit & see what products he/they recommend. They'll do you right.

Rob

Rob

You have got to both Like and Respect Daryn, But don't ever expect a simple yes or no answer to your question. :D

BTW Anyone in south west Florida looking for a good supplier might want to talk with Southern Ag. They deliver. Daryn and J C are 3rd generation of a family owned business. They are a repackage plant that buys Chemicals in bulk and repackages them into all size containers. I have had the same delivery guys for over 10 years which tells me they are good to employees as well as me as a customer. I have never had any problems that they didn't stand behind.

44DCNF
05-11-2008, 02:04 PM

It sure does.

Liendeni
05-11-2008, 05:00 PM
TruGreen comes out every month....but she can never tell that it is making any difference to when they weren't there. Not sure what exactly they do....and I am pretty sure neither does she. Anyways, I'll tell her its probably best to call a professional. I just thought it might be as easy as me laying down one certain chemical but looks to be not so easy. Thanks for the help.

Ric
05-11-2008, 05:54 PM
TruGreen comes out every month....but she can never tell that it is making any difference to when they weren't there. Not sure what exactly they do....and I am pretty sure neither does she. Anyways, I'll tell her its probably best to call a professional. I just thought it might be as easy as me laying down one certain chemical but looks to be not so easy. Thanks for the help.

Liendeni

We in the Lawn Care Business owe a big THANKS to True Green for making our industry what it is today.

However True Green is a Professional Marketing Company NOT a Professional Lawn Care Company. They hire $ 8.00 Spray employees off the street and pay them a 5% commission if they bill $ 1,000 a day. At the end of the day and the Employee is tired but just short his $ 1,000 billing for the day. How do you think he turns in his paper work??? How fast do you think he will do tomorrows route???

Big Hoss
05-12-2008, 06:45 PM

I have to agree take a look at the head.
Albert

lawnguy26
05-14-2008, 09:32 PM
Liendeni

We in the Lawn Care Business owe a big THANKS to True Green for making our industry what it is today.

However True Green is a Professional Marketing Company NOT a Professional Lawn Care Company. They hire $ 8.00 Spray employees off the street and pay them a 5% commission if they bill $ 1,000 a day. At the end of the day and the Employee is tired but just short his $ 1,000 billing for the day. How do you think he turns in his paper work??? How fast do you think he will do tomorrows route???

Actually there pay system is based on hourly and commision. With most routes they frown upon any day less then $1000. And if you want to make any money you better do a $1000 a day. But there pay system will punish you if you return to the shop at 2 o'clock everyday even with a $1000 done. Bottom line is they suck because of there turnover in employees.

By the way that is a big eyed bug. It's beneficial.

lawnguy26
05-14-2008, 09:47 PM
These are all over the dying areas in this particular St. Aug Grass. Any good formula that I can buy without a license? Will be apply this to my mother's house....not a "for profit" residence. I'm not licensed so please don't send me any information to complicated. Thanks in advance.

that is a big eyed bug. a natural predator of chichbugs. If they're around there's a good chance the chichbugs are too. Purchase two different products for insect control on st. augustine. By different products I mean products with different active ingredients. This will be posted on the front of the bag. Treat heavy and check for control in 3-5 days. Chinchbugs can be found very easily along the edge of the damaged area usually located where the grass blade meets the stolon. Good luck. These insects are tuff to control.

OOHH.... fire TruGreen and find an independent guy!!

Liendeni
05-15-2008, 12:19 PM
Thanks Lawn Guy....it could very well just be me...but I can't seem to find any Chichbugs in the grass, although it certainly looks more like something is killing the grass versus just plain old lack of water. I'll tell her to get rid of the Truegreen guy and higher an independent guy. Thanks for the input....greatly appreciated!