PDA

View Full Version : C-lawn

humble1
05-10-2008, 08:56 PM
I bid a lawn today a referal from another landscaper.

-lawn was on the property but customer is unhappy.
I come in at $95 per app hand him the contract and ask what he is paying w/c-lawn 57.00 he says he will talk it over w/ the wife, i doubt ill get it.

RigglePLC
05-10-2008, 09:14 PM
I hate when that happens. A small company recently came by and offered $49.95 to most people on a street. My price for the customer was was $99. Lawn is about 22 thousand sq ft. Customer sent me a copy of most of the quote paperwork. Customer called and asked if I could come down--not that much. Customer called competition's office and asked if the price was correct--office girl said its "good for the year, but might have to be readjusted next year." Sigh.

jbturf
05-10-2008, 09:58 PM
thats a load of sh-t, it would cost me probably that much in
product to treat a lawn that size, at least that company is
only hurting themselves in the long run.

you guys ever hear from new customers " well your a small business,
so you have less overhead , and you should have a lower price"

humble1
05-10-2008, 10:46 PM
thats a load of sh-t, it would cost me probably that much in
product to treat a lawn that size, at least that company is
only hurting themselves in the long run.

you guys ever hear from new customers " well your a small business,
so you have less overhead , and you should have a lower price"

riggles is in a different market than us, but how could it possibly cost you that much in product 2 bags of dimension is like 40.00-46.00 asuming its a good lawn you wouldnt be spraying broadleaf on the whole lawn. other rounds w/ no control are cheaper than dimension..how do you come up w/ that?

ted putnam
05-11-2008, 12:52 AM
riggles is in a different market than us, but how could it possibly cost you that much in product 2 bags of dimension is like 40.00-46.00 asuming its a good lawn you wouldnt be spraying broadleaf on the whole lawn. other rounds w/ no control are cheaper than dimension..how do you come up w/ that?

Just an observation here. I don't use the fert/pre-emerg products but let's say it did cost Riggles 40-46 bucks in material. best case scenario he'd make $9.95 meeting the comp's price. That doesn't include fuel to get there... I'm sorry, but that's peanuts no matter what market you do business in. If they see that big of a price difference and can't smell a RAT,then they deserve each other LOWBALLER+ CHEAPSCATE... A match made in heaven!

bug-guy
05-11-2008, 09:40 AM
when i would go out on an estimate and the homeowner would tell me he is paying alot less than my quote i would tell him prehaps that's why he is unhappy and looking for new service. you get what you pay for... a 100.00 job being charged 50.00 is get that ... 50.00 worth of service

humble1
05-11-2008, 10:18 AM

i misspoke i only was looking at the 99.00 when i wrote the above , i wasnt looking at the 49.95 sorry guys

NOOB
05-11-2008, 11:03 AM
is the c-lawn Chem Lawn
if it is they can do it cheap cuz they have the man power and money to buy products in bulk so Price goes down AS Well TG Chemlawn has No contract people hate contracts !!

Green Dreams
05-11-2008, 02:27 PM
is the c-lawn Chem Lawn
if it is they can do it cheap cuz they have the man power and money to buy products in bulk so Price goes down AS Well TG Chemlawn has No contract people hate contracts !!

Wow...you have been in this business quite awhile, huh?

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-11-2008, 08:51 PM
Are you any different from your competition? If you're offering the same blah package - then price will generally be the focus.

You need to separate yourself from the herd. You need to be able to convey to the homeowner that a price comparison is apples to oranges: and here's why... !!

If you offer no distinction in your service, you may as well low ball with the rest...

turfsolutions
05-12-2008, 08:53 PM
Explain to the customer in a subtle way that if it looks like shi* and smells like shi* then it is probably shi*

humble1
05-12-2008, 11:47 PM
Update the guy called me tonight had a few questions but told me he canceled w/ chem lawn today and was going to talk it over w/ the wife. Could be my account soon I hope

group501
05-17-2008, 07:13 AM
We just had a similar cl experience yesterday only ours involved a current customer. We treat a lawn in an area of million dollar plus homes that is measured at 14,500 sq ft. We are currently charging this customer $480.00 plus tax for our basic 5 service package (no grub, no lime). When we started servicing this lawn it was a basic builders lawn (poor soil and contractors seed blend). Over the past three years we have transformed this lawn from a disaster to one of the best lawns on the street. CL does a few of the neighboring lawns which still look like s**t. Last night the customer calls to question her program and then proceeds to ask why cl can do it for half the price. I politely explained to the customer that you do get what you pay for and explained that there is not $240.00 profit in her property. I also directed her to look at her neighbors lawns which cl is treating. I don't know if we lost this one or not but I imagine we will be.

Before she hung up the customer then stated that the cl said price was for a 4 service program. CL said that they advised an 8 service program but would do a four service program for the $240.00. They told customer that they would fully guarantee their 4 service program and would not charge for service calls.

ted putnam
05-17-2008, 10:44 AM
is the c-lawn Chem Lawn

Yea, and it would be nice if they'd use those bulk priced products on the lawn! I have no contract either. I let the results speak for themselves. If a customer doesn't like what they see, they can cancel. No strings attached. I got one the other day I gave an estimate to who had TG/CL. Literally, her back yard had a wild violet every 6 inches(among other things)...A 10k lawn. She said "well...you're a little more expensive than TG. My response was" and look what you have after 2 yrs of apps". I told her it took a special product to control violets and they weren't willing to take the time or spend the money. I also told her she would see more in 2 apps from me than she saw in 2 yrs with them. SOLD!

Harley-D
05-17-2008, 12:00 PM
As a business, if your complaining about chemlawn's low prices, your looking at it the wrong way. "You get what you pay for!" My favorite saying for sales. Someone wants something cheaper or something for free, guess what is gonna be the first thing they complain about. You might as well charge for it.
What about the highschool kid whose dad buys him all the equipment for mowing and he takes your mowing accounts. Are those clients confident some 15 yr old can actually assess problems with no experience or schooling in the field?
Another 2 cents.

greendoctor
05-17-2008, 01:02 PM
I get this as well here in Hawaii, although it is not a national company doing cheap work. It is the do-it-all "landscaper". I let people know if they want an unlicensed applicator, who is also illterate, has no idea what he is spraying or how to correctly apply it, they are free to let the "landscaper" do it all for what I cost per month to service their property. I keep photos of clients lawns and landscapes with me. Even the lawns that have been hit with multiple applications of MSMA+ simazine+ Image. Yes the lawn is yellowed, but the month after picture sells. There are no more grassy weeds. Spot spraying Sedgehammer or Trimec is what passes for weed control here. I do not do that. There are a number of clients who retain my services and tell the "landscaper" to just mow the lawn, rake the leaves, but do not spread or spray anything on their lawn.

tremor
05-17-2008, 11:23 PM
We just had a similar cl experience yesterday only ours involved a current customer. We treat a lawn in an area of million dollar plus homes that is measured at 14,500 sq ft. We are currently charging this customer $480.00 plus tax for our basic 5 service package (no grub, no lime). When we started servicing this lawn it was a basic builders lawn (poor soil and contractors seed blend). Over the past three years we have transformed this lawn from a disaster to one of the best lawns on the street. CL does a few of the neighboring lawns which still look like s**t. Last night the customer calls to question her program and then proceeds to ask why cl can do it for half the price. I politely explained to the customer that you do get what you pay for and explained that there is not $240.00 profit in her property. I also directed her to look at her neighbors lawns which cl is treating. I don't know if we lost this one or not but I imagine we will be.

Before she hung up the customer then stated that the cl said price was for a 4 service program. CL said that they advised an 8 service program but would do a four service program for the $240.00. They told customer that they would fully guarantee their 4 service program and would not charge for service calls.

Show me another LCO who over-seeds with Thermal Blue & GLS resistant Ryes. None in Metro NY that I know of.

Be like John. Provide the best service possible, charge the right price & hold your head up.