05-11-2008, 01:48 AM
Here is a nice before and after pics:

Supper Grassy
05-11-2008, 11:49 AM
Nice Job
Looks good

theguynextdoor
05-11-2008, 07:50 PM
I don't know anything about pruning palm trees because I live up North, but why does everyone strip all the branches off? I don't get it. I don't think they look good at all with just a few branches at the top.

TheChiefsLawnCare
05-11-2008, 11:29 PM
Well, Im not sayin what you did was wrong or right, but those trees look like crap. Sorry, they jus ugly.

KrayzKajun
05-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Well, Im not sayin what you did was wrong or right, but those trees look like crap. Sorry, they jus ugly.

i agreee! i hate palms though!

justanotherlawnguy
05-12-2008, 12:17 AM

Say what you want, customer loved it and they are the ones writing the checks. Trimming palms is a cash cow, far more lucrative then just mowing.....

This lady had the HOA all over her a$$ because of the palms looking like this. HOA's love to send out the violation notices when the palms get too unruly, and they are everywhere, and everyone needs them done and lawn guys cant/wont do it...

TheChiefsLawnCare
05-12-2008, 12:55 AM
Yeah, like I said, I never knocked your work, I just knocked the trees themselves.

Clapper&Company
05-12-2008, 01:17 AM
O agree LOL

I Know nothing about triming them, I just dont care for the Trees..

But Keep up the good work!!

justanotherlawnguy
05-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Yeah, like I said, I never knocked your work, I just knocked the trees themselves.

I agree, the trees are garbage. THey are full of bugs, have wasp nests in them. Some times rat nests, and/or squirrel nests. Not to mention the fronds are extremely sharp and if not trimmed right will snag skin. I have many war wounds from these things......

TheChiefsLawnCare
05-14-2008, 11:31 PM
I agree, the trees are garbage. THey are full of bugs, have wasp nests in them. Some times rat nests, and/or squirrel nests. Not to mention the fronds are extremely sharp and if not trimmed right will snag skin. I have many war wounds from these things......

My dad was painting a house for a couple who has a HUGE palm tree, and he dosnt trim it, its like his baby. He actually did an addition to the house and in order to do the work he trimmed some... of the branches, well when this guy came back home from Maryland, he was so mad that my dad trimmed some of the palms off. Anyways, when he was painting the house, my dad fell off the ladder and fell into the tree and one of the tips broke off and got lodged into his leg. He now has a scar from it and wobbles a little. I member when he first fell, his leg got so swolen, he was forced to take medication and could bearly walk on it. I think an inch broke off into his leg. It was pretty. He still has problems and this was about 3 years ago.

cpel2004
05-14-2008, 11:48 PM
Just a fyi justanotherlawnguy, according to the Univ of FL Hort std for cutting palms are 9-3 position by cutting that thin you are promoting rapid growth. Otherwise nice job. I hate trimming palms they are dirty and most people dont charge enough for them.

44DCNF
05-14-2008, 11:50 PM
why does everyone strip all the branches off? I don't get it.

I imagine part of it is that they want any dry material that could be potential fuel for wildfires removed.

sunray237
05-15-2008, 10:00 PM
Ilived in florida in th 60's and loved it, the palm trees are all that's left in my opinion of what was once was a great place.

DISTURBEDSMR
05-15-2008, 10:56 PM
Yeah I'll trim palms all day good money if you have the right equipment Stihl telescoping pole saw got a lawn account about a month ago because existing guy wouldn't trim dead limbs off her queen palm sorry about his luck

cpel2004
05-15-2008, 11:26 PM
Disturbedsmr you very well may know this but cutting fonds and cleaning a palm are two different things. I will cut limbs all day long, but cleaning them is a different story, you can have that, unless I had one of those 70k bucket trucks.

GrassmasterB
05-15-2008, 11:31 PM
Yeah I'll trim palms all day good money if you have the right equipment Stihl telescoping pole saw got a lawn account about a month ago because existing guy wouldn't trim dead limbs off her queen palm sorry about his luck

do you charge per tree? about how much would you charge? just a ballpark figure (i know noone likes to give out exact numbers). where i'm at, everyone thinks it should just be included with the weekly mowing since you only do it once or twice a year and it only takes a few minutes. but with telescopic pole saws costing $500-$600 there's no way it can be done for free.

Mr. Vern
05-16-2008, 01:07 AM
No problem with your work, but I hate those fan palms. Look at that landscape, those trees are probably less than 10 years old and are completely out of scale with the landscape. You either see the landscape and a bumpy pole, or you see the foliage on the palms and the sky. They are completely worthless with regard to the overall landscape.
Palms are so overdone in most places in my opinion!

DISTURBEDSMR
05-16-2008, 03:24 AM
I charge it based on an hourly rate $60 per hour plus add in for disposal and I don't have any that are that bad , but I see plenty that are if they aren't bad and I can reach them with feet on earth I include it with monthly just add in a little per month for it like three dollars per tree and clean once a year. I do agree tall palm doesn't do anything for the landscape

justanotherlawnguy
05-16-2008, 12:02 PM
I charge it based on an hourly rate $60 per hour plus add in for disposal

Your leaving alot of money on the table. Do you have any idea how many palms you can trim in an hour? For the most part, people dont mind paying decent money to have them trimmed.

I charge by the job. I have done countless jobs that took 15 minutes and charged the customer $50. For the most part, I shoot for $100+ an hour...

$3 per tree monthly thats way underpriced...

just my $0.02

DISTURBEDSMR
05-16-2008, 02:23 PM
With 3 dollars a month per tree you average 140 - 200 per hour 3 x 12=36 the average palm if trimmed every year like you said takes 10 -15 minutes at most 36 x 4 =144 if it takes you 15 minutes which it seldom does usually 10 with the stihl ht 101 which by the way I bought of craigslist for $300 and my neighbor borrowed it the next day to trim his palms and gave me $150 to use it.

Military Lawns
05-20-2008, 11:00 PM

Most of the dead fronds are cut off making for a cleaner cut. Those old fronds should have been cut off but the older and taller the tree the more difficult it is to clean up. Had those palms been kept up, they would look a lot better.

DJ-

boonehockey
05-21-2008, 06:49 PM
i surprised it doesnt have bees in it

ed2hess
05-21-2008, 10:47 PM
Say what you want, customer loved it and they are the ones writing the checks. Trimming palms is a cash cow, far more lucrative then just mowing.....

This lady had the HOA all over her a$$ because of the palms looking like this. HOA's love to send out the violation notices when the palms get too unruly, and they are everywhere, and everyone needs them done and lawn guys cant/wont do it...

Yep they do generate a lot of business....and most of them in Texas could be cleaned from ground. How did you do the big one?

justanotherlawnguy
05-21-2008, 11:20 PM
How did you do the big one?

with a 32 foot ladder. I think the one in the pic was like 25 feet or so...

I can do up to trimming as high as 40 feet, thats about as far as my long monkey arms can reach. I am 6' 2" at the top of the ladder with another almost 3 feet of reach . In case anyone asks, yes I use a harness and lanyard and the ladder is tied when it is extended above about 20 feet...

Happy Frog
05-22-2008, 12:07 AM
No way you'll get me on that ladder for that kind of money... :nono:
Ladder=Danger=$$$
I charge $20.00 to trim a palm with my feet on the ground. I would charge no less than $40.00 to get my feet off the ground...

South Florida Lawns
08-08-2008, 06:56 PM
I actually think it looks great. Now thats an apartment for all sorts of rats and bugs lol.

justanotherlawnguy
08-09-2008, 01:37 AM
I actually think it looks great. Now thats an apartment for all sorts of rats and bugs lol.

True, True, i do keep a can of wasp spray in my hip pocket when i go up to trim palms....

kleankutslawn
08-09-2008, 02:52 AM
well be safe up there but you don't have to worry bout me going that far up!