PDA

View Full Version : Roebellini's before/after

justanotherlawnguy
05-11-2008, 02:57 AM
this guy thought it would be nice to have a butt load of roebellinis installed along the fence line behind his pool. Man it was thick in there trimming those things...

soccerlawn
05-11-2008, 04:20 PM
nice work, looks a lot cleaner

DoetschOutdoor
05-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Nice work. How long did that take you?

Az Gardener
05-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Are those palms or Asparagus? :laugh: You guys must be kidding. Moderation is a term you should learn. You think that rotting wooden fence is more attractive than some nice green palm frawns? How about some privacy? Now anyone can look over the fence and see whats going on in the spa. Sorry pal that's a hack job if I have ever seen one.

I will grant you that they were a mess before but trimming just the dead frawns would have been much more healthy approach for the palms and would have left a much more attractive look at the end of the pool. It would also have given you more work in just a few months. Those things will not need trimming again for a year or more. You will be lucky if they remember who you are by that time.

It doesn't matter if they liked it you are supposed to be the professional, educate them. That pruning job breaks every horticultural practice known to man.

Hope that was not to harsh, I'm beginning to sound like older than dirt.

justanotherlawnguy
05-12-2008, 01:33 AM
Are those palms or Asparagus? :laugh:
Neither, they are carrots...

Moderation is a term you should learn. You think that rotting wooden fence is more attractive than some nice green palm frawns?
IT will grow back, I appreciate moderation, however this customer wanted them like that...

How about some privacy? Now anyone can look over the fence and see whats going on in the spa.
IF they wanna peep, so be it...

Sorry pal that's a hack job if I have ever seen one.

Maybe so, but you were not the one writing the check. He loved it by the way...

I will grant you that they were a mess before but trimming just the dead frawns would have been much more healthy approach for the palms and would have left a much more attractive look at the end of the pool.

With that many roebellinis growing that close it would have been a monster to just get the dead ones out. As far as health of the tree, with the freeze we had in Feb, many roebellinis got hit hard with frost damage and I saw many homeowners and other lco's just completely topping these things. That was 3 months ago, and now many of those same palms have recovered just fine...

It would also have given you more work in just a few months. Dont want/need to come back in few months, i would rather come back in a year..

Those things will not need trimming again for a year or more. Good, I stay busy enough as it is...

You will be lucky if they remember who you are by that time.
You would be surprised how people around here save cards and numbers. I get calls from people that I did 3-4 years ago as a one time job....

It doesn't matter if they liked it you are supposed to be the professional, educate them. That pruning job breaks every horticultural practice known to man.

You could not be more accurate, i am the professional. I am sure every trim/prune job you do is for the benefit/health of the tree/shrub/hedge or whatever you are trimming. In 3 months those things will have so much new growth it will be pathetic. I have given my speech to customers who have requested such trimmings over the years and many speeches have fallen on deaf ears. So I just give them what they want, they pay and everyone is happy..

OH yeah, I got 2 referrals from this guy..
Hope that was not to harsh, I'm beginning to sound like older than dirt.
Nope, typical lawnsite response. I would have been surprised if people did not pick the pic apart.

I am not out to please the guys on lawnsite.....

justanotherlawnguy
05-12-2008, 01:34 AM
Nice work. How long did that take you?

bout 2 hours

Mimowerman
05-14-2008, 10:47 PM
just another lawn guy- I like your response... thats all pretty funny..... u got him

South Florida Lawns
08-08-2008, 08:09 PM
Sorry pal that's a hack job if I have ever seen one.

Nope you are wrong. That is how they are supposed to look down here in Florida. They even look that way when you buy them at a nursery.

Man I can only imagine how many times those b***hes stuck you.

dura to the max
08-08-2008, 11:54 PM
You would be surprised how people around here save cards and numbers. I get calls from people that I did 3-4 years ago as a one time job....

i have said many times before, there is NO such thing as a one time job. almost everything i do leads to a call-back in the future, as well as friends of "one time" , or my regular customers.

You could not be more accurate, i am the professional. I am sure every trim/prune job you do is for the benefit/health of the tree/shrub/hedge or whatever you are trimming. In 3 months those things will have so much new growth it will be pathetic. I have given my speech to customers who have requested such trimmings over the years and many speeches have fallen on deaf ears. So I just give them what they want, they pay and everyone is happy..

this is true, i try to educate my clients on proper horticultural prodedures. however doing it the right way costs them more, and if they see a nice green canopy on mrs jones shrubs they think that they must be healthy so they want it the same way. it doesnt matter what i say usually. i dont wear myslef out trying anymore, if theyre happy im happy. they're the ones writing the check anyway.

A Leaf Above
08-10-2008, 09:23 AM
Lokks 100% better ....The Robollinis will need a good trimming in 4 months again , Most of these guys on Lawnsite do not understand that everything that we have growing down here seems to be on steroids ...As far as trimming those i have to disagree with SOuth florida lawns .This is pretty much whats called Peacocking , If you did this to apalm that was in your front yard and code enforcer came around ...You would prolly get a citation or warning ...Now go and sell them some mulch or rock to put around those Palms :).