PDA

View Full Version : What size pressure washer??

4 seasons lawn&land
05-11-2008, 12:23 PM
What size pressure washer should i get to spray off the equipment. Would the smallest 2-300 dollar gas powerd ones be strong enough to get the dried grass and junk off the mower and clean up my truck nice? Are the ones at home depot good? Hondas i think, Excell Brand? I dont think the electric ones would be good enough. Thanks for any help.

totallawncare25
05-11-2008, 12:29 PM
i have a 13hp honda 4000psi unit works great for me

4 seasons lawn&land
05-11-2008, 12:40 PM
what size is that comparitively? Big? How much was it?

totallawncare25
05-11-2008, 12:43 PM
around 1000.00 it is made by karcher the whole unit weighs over 100 lbs. you could also pressure wash houses, driveways and walkways for more money with a professional heavy duty pressure washer like mine

4 seasons lawn&land
05-12-2008, 01:50 PM
tttttttttttttt

Mic_bug
05-12-2008, 08:58 PM
more pressure equate to less time washing

Don M.
05-12-2008, 10:58 PM
more pressure equate to less time washing

LOL. More pressure=more damage. Its the gpm that speeds things up.

DAFFMOBILEWASH
05-14-2008, 01:03 AM
GPM is king in the wash industry. Anything which is 4.0GPM and higher with a belt driven system will be good. Stay away from the bargain washers, the parts are expensive and impossible to find. Plus you will be shopping again next year for a new one. The direct drive units usually have a 300-800hrs life span. While the belt driven ones usually double or tripple the life span.

DAFF

Barry M
05-19-2008, 01:17 AM

Oh come on Don, it's the pressure that makes it faster. I'm thinking of buying a 2gpm 6,000psi so I can really clean houses....lol

mverick
05-19-2008, 01:23 AM

Unless you need the pressure. Then the gpm does nothing for you.

Just washed mudd off a drive way after digging out with a track cat for a concrete pour. It was in the street packed into the asphalt. GPM wouldn't have done a lot for me. But the 5000psi did.

GPM is for when you're using chemicals for the cleaning. Which is what you should do.

But, the psi does tear stuff up if you ain't carefull... lol It ain't the way to clean a house though.

Don M.
05-19-2008, 02:09 AM
Unless you need the pressure. Then the gpm does nothing for you.

Just washed mudd off a drive way after digging out with a track cat for a concrete pour. It was in the street packed into the asphalt. GPM wouldn't have done a lot for me. But the 5000psi did.

GPM is for when you're using chemicals for the cleaning. Which is what you should do.

But, the psi does tear stuff up if you ain't carefull... lol It ain't the way to clean a house though.

Hey Mav,

I'm not going to argue with you, but when I got my new 5.6 gpm 2500 psi machine, I washed off our church parking lot since they were going to get it redone anyway. It was really muddy from construction and in some spots you can see my wand marks. Just my .02

mverick
05-19-2008, 07:44 PM
Well, mine is 5gpm and 5000psi. So it does have a little more on the GPM's then the standard ones. 5000psi is kinda rare too. Or, was when I bought it. When you get up the the 8gpm models, those are nice. Throw some heat on it and even better. I'd say heat is the number one concern, then GPM's as long as your around 2500psi. Heat will do more for washing then the GPM's it seems.

There's always a trade off.

FCPWLLC
05-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Higher GPM = More water running across surface and taking more dirt with it. Higher GPM's will always clean faster than lower GPM's. Pressure is merely a bond breaker while flow is the true cleaner. Most cases, a good chem will break the bond and decrease the time needed to clean.

mverick
05-21-2008, 10:14 AM
Higher GPM = More water running across surface and taking more dirt with it. Higher GPM's will always clean faster than lower GPM's. Pressure is merely a bond breaker while flow is the true cleaner. Most cases, a good chem will break the bond and decrease the time needed to clean.

Then, why don't you just use a garden hose? As they will flow more water.

And, if you can't break that bond because you have too low of pressure you're gonna be there all day.

Packed in dirt, ie, a trackcat has been running wet dirt on your asphalt, is not going to clean up well with chems. But, if you get it wet, it will break the bond. But, some of that packed dirt/clay takes a long time to soak in. When high pressure will just strip it. But, it can also strip the asphalt.

You need both pressure and gpm. But, i doubt you need more then 2500psi as long as you get 5gpm or up.

For me, I strip carbon deposits from metal. 2500psi won't do that. I don't care what chemicals ya use. I can also etch concrete without hydrochloric/muratic. 3500psi does it barely. Organic people tend to not want acids in there lawn. So, it's a upcharge. You don't have the pressure, you can't do the job.

It all depends on your application.

I'm looking at the new 7000psi with 24hp now. I might just buy the pump. Swap it out on my washer. The big tow behinds usually only get to 10,000psi. Can't remember the flow. I'd like one compressor with 2 pumps that you can swap from with one motor. One 3000psi with 8gpm with the other 7000psi with 4gpm. You don't need to run both ever. Delevan Diamond is still best for chemical pump.

FCPWLLC
05-21-2008, 07:10 PM
Agree... You need the pressure for those sufaces. Just not Vinyl or wood. You must do more industrial and commercial where the pressure is needed. Still, Higher volume couple with that high pressure will clean like a mad man. Also Agree on that Delavan. I have the Diamond series on my roof cleaning Bandit.

punt66
06-30-2008, 02:03 PM
The guy asked about small washer to clean his equipment. I have the excell and it does just fine. I even use it occasionally on customers houses and decks. I did a deck today. Its about 18' X 12' second floor deck. Start to finish 2hours and $225 bill. And yes with a excell home depot unit. Dont recommend it for everyday use of course. It cleans my equipment every saturday!

CCPC
06-30-2008, 03:08 PM
The guy asked about small washer to clean his equipment. I have the excell and it does just fine. I even use it occasionally on customers houses and decks. I did a deck today. Its about 18' X 12' second floor deck. Start to finish 2hours and $225 bill. And yes with a excell home depot unit. Dont recommend it for everyday use of course. It cleans my equipment every saturday!

How did you clean the deck? When you pressure washed it did you use chemicals, or did you just use pressure?

punt66
06-30-2008, 06:54 PM
How did you clean the deck? When you pressure washed it did you use chemicals, or did you just use pressure?

No chemicals, however the washer can be used with chemicals. This deck is well taken care of but gets little sun. So it had sealer on it but black mold on top. Washed away easy. They are resealing it again. Your in Florida im in CT so im sure we have different scenarios as well. I typically dont do pressure washing but maybe 3 or four times a year for regulars.