PDA

View Full Version : white tip

RigglePLC
05-11-2008, 11:53 AM
I think I have seen this several times. A customer mowed his lawn last Saturday when it was a little wet. This week large parts of his lawn have a brownish tinge. Upon close inspection, I found many cut leaf blades appeared to have a white tip. It was as if a fungus had invaded the cut tip of the leaf blade and moved down the leaf blade about an inch or two--turning it white. Almost as if dollarspot had infected the cut area and the infection worked its way down the leaf blade. Weather is too cool for ordinary dollarspot (I think), about 50 at night and 65 during the day. Bluegrass and rye.
Has anybody else seen this? Is the white tip caused by mowing when it is wet? Is it dollarspot? Some other fungus?

Tim Johnson
05-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Seen the same thing last week on a property we do both fert, and mowing. We mowed during the spring clean, then we put down round 1 a couple days later and I saw the same thing as you described. Then we cut it again, and I went back five days after the 3rd cut to seen if the problem was still presist, and no signs of anything. :confused: I'm confused too. It was wet when we did the first cut too, but not too wet to mow.

LawnTamer
05-11-2008, 12:03 PM
I've seen urea wick up the grass blade and cause something that looks like what you are describing. Was the lawn recently fertilized?