PDA

View Full Version : Echo SRM-210 Trimmer Review

punk_rockin2001
05-11-2008, 05:54 PM
Hey lawnsiters. Yesterday I bought an Echo SRM-210 trimmer, and I thought I would share my opinion for anyone that might care. I purchased it from Home Depot for $219. The 21.2cc engine seemed incredibly small and I made sure that I could return the unit if it wasn't what I wanted. The entire unit is very very light, and the cushioned handles are awesome for comfort and anti-vibration. I tested it out on a patch of 8 inch grass, and a very thick 6-8 inch patch of clover that my neighbors were kind enough to lend to me ;-) Oh and it had just stopped raining also. The trimmer started up on the third pull, and I let it warm up for about 5 minutes since it had never been started before. Then I went to work, and it was just awesome. It cut through extremely evenly and quickly. I could easily cut everything down to bare earth w/out even trying if I wanted to. (which I did want to in one spot just to see if I could) The trimming along a fence row, and around trees was effortless. The Echo websites one liner for the unit says "Straight shaft trimmer is perfect for medium-duty commercial applications." And that is exactly right. I suppose if you were trying to cut down 2 foot tall weeds, and lots of them you might need more trimmer, but I, along w/probably 90% of us, do not do that regularly, if ever. I am a very small operator, w/20 weekly accounts, and I am very confident in this trimmer to do more than what I need. Hope this helps someone out there! Now bring on the "you need at least 25cc's or more to cut a weed" comments.

slone
05-11-2008, 06:04 PM
i have one of those not a bad little trimmer. i just bought a echo srm210sb (split boom) on saturday. i will try it out on monday. my echo srm 2601 just took a dive on thursday. it went clink and shutoff and siezed up. not bad for 8 years of reliable service. i want to add some attachments like the hedge trimmer and cultivater for the split boom

js.lawn
05-11-2008, 06:14 PM
I have 6 and never had a problem with them love emm light and run great

yungman
05-11-2008, 06:49 PM
I have 6 and never had a problem with them love emm light and run great

How many hours do you have on those little engines?

Mowingman
05-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Where do you plan on getting it repaired when it needs fixed? It will need work sometime. H.D. will have it sent off and you will be lucky to get it back in 2 or 3 weeks.
I doubt your local Echo, independent dealer, will care much about getting your machine fixed quickly, since you undercut him by buying at H.D.

Green Finger
05-11-2008, 07:42 PM
Wow.... I hope it works out for you. I run all echo (commercial) I Need something with a little bit more power.

js.lawn
05-12-2008, 12:03 AM
you all talk alot of bull s#%$ its the same damn trimmer you would buy at a dealer look it up and find it out yourself same numbers same everything and the dealer sells it for the same damn price and info poeple i didnt buy them from depo cheapo there from my dealer where even they say its the same trimmer they sell now most of the stuff you buy from depot is not the same

js.lawn
05-12-2008, 12:05 AM
How many hours do you have on those little engines?

2 are about three years old and there still running like there new

XterraJohn
05-12-2008, 12:47 AM
I occasionally like to use mine one-handed, by holding it in my right hand and letting the engine come up and rest against my the bottom of my elbow to keep the machine level. Now I've worn a hole in the sparkplug wire and it zaps me if I try to do this. If I buy another trimmer, having the sparkplug located elsewhere or covered by an access panel is on my list of stuff to want.

Pennington Lawncare
05-12-2008, 12:55 AM
I just bought one of those from Home Depot as well and the way the carb is tuned from the factory is quite a bit on the rich side and just does run decent at wide open throttle. I already looked for the carb adjustment screws and hopefully they are hidden under the air filter somewhere. It does start easy enough and the bump feed head works well. The soft foam handles are comfortable and I wish my Husqvarna 323L had those soft handles and I wish the Echo had more and smoother power like the Husqvarna. The main reason I bought the Echo was for the 5 year warranty.

Donald A
05-12-2008, 07:27 AM
I have the 210, have been using it for 3 years on my 5 acres and my son's 3 acres. It is comfortable, light weight, and powerful. I would buy another one without hesitation.

Chop Stuff Up
05-12-2008, 07:47 AM
I've operated the 210, 230, and 260 over a full work day and did a post on this some time back. I felt that the lighter 210, although not much lighter, made a difference throughout a day's work. Someone argued that I was full of crap and that the weight difference is too small to even matter. It has more than enough power for your average lawn. I found it to be underpowered in some cases where the grass was very wet/tall, but not too terribly underpowered. The more expensive head is a must for heavy use to minimize jamming. I believe they call it the pro head? I have found that when using it in tall grass, the grass likes to wrap around the spindle and you have to stop it and untangle it from the spindle. I've not used the attachment version of the 210, not sure if it even exists. I've used the attachment version of the 230 and 260. The 230 did everything I ever needed it to do as far as trimming. A few select attachments were underpowered with the 230, mainly the pruner attachment. My main issues I've ran into with Echo: the safety throttle lockout breaking off (ended up just taping them down), carb issues, the choke jamming (caused by the air box being banged against things), and the Echo trimmer string melting inside the head.

BNR LAWN SERVICES
05-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Mowingman called it have fun getting it fixed at the HD. Spend the money and go to a local dealer who will get you back on the street with your unit or a loaner unit. Ben in TN there are no adjustment screws on the unit and it will need to be taken to a dealer that has the special echo tools to adjust carb. I have a SRM210I and love it I removed the string cutter head and put on plastic cutting blades and it cuts down big stuff to.

slone
05-12-2008, 03:07 PM
i did buy my srm210sb from my local dealer. he was actually $20.00 cheaper then home depot.

4 seasons lawn&land
05-12-2008, 04:10 PM
i have the same one from home depot. I also like it but it can be a bich to start.

yungman
05-12-2008, 04:30 PM
i have the same one from home depot. I also like it but it can be a bich to start.

Echo is known to be a little cold blooded....hard cold start. I finally get this down, and I can get it to start cold between 3 to 4 pulls average. Prime the bulb at least 10 times, prime hard. Close choke and pull. It start in 3 to 4 pulls, open choke a fast as you can and let it idle for 20 seconds and is good to go. Hot start is always 1 to 2 pulls. I can start the Echo faster than my Shindaiwa C4 blower.:waving:

BanvilleLawnCare
05-12-2008, 04:46 PM
I have this trimmer and for the money it is great and hardly ever have I wished I had more power. The only complaint I have is that it takes a little longer than I would like to warm up. I have found that turning the trimmer upside down causes it to warm up more quickly for whatever reason.

ProStreetCamaro
05-12-2008, 09:05 PM
you all talk alot of bull s#%$ its the same damn trimmer you would buy at a dealer look it up and find it out yourself same numbers same everything and the dealer sells it for the same damn price and info poeple i didnt buy them from depo cheapo there from my dealer where even they say its the same trimmer they sell now most of the stuff you buy from depot is not the same

Nobody said its not the same trimmer. They said a local dealer wont be in any hurry to work on it because you didnt buy it from them. We all know its the exact same trimmer. We bought our SRM-230 from HD because we got a heck of a deal on it plus I do all the work on our equipment so no need for a dealer.

topsites
05-12-2008, 09:11 PM
Shoot, by the time I get done mucking through the wide selection of trimmers it's $300 no matter how I look at it.
By then I'm at the dealer's, it just doesn't matter at that point.

I did use an srm-260s that lasted 3 years, not bad in comparison to the FS-85r but I like my current fs-100rx 4-mix better.

One thing I will say is I plop Echo D-handles on all my trimmers, even been thinking of dropping a couple on my edgers, too.
Yes, I actually spend the extra 20 or 25 bucks that it costs to get one :laugh:
That is teh most comfortable thing I have ever used, nobody makes a better handle.

you all talk alot of bull s#%$ its the same damn trimmer you would buy at a dealer

But you gave your money to HD, thus HD fixes it.

js.lawn
05-12-2008, 09:15 PM
Shoot, by the time I get done with the wide selection of trimmers it's 300 no matter how I look at it.
I did use an srm-260s that lasted 3 years, not bad in comparison to the FS-85r but I like my current fs-100rx 4-mix better.

One thing I will say is I plop Echo D-handles on all my trimmers.
Yes, I actually spend the extra 20 or 25 bucks that it costs to get one :laugh:

But you gave your money to HD, hence HD fixes it.

learn how to read i didnt buy it from crapo depo gggggggggggs

freshprince94
05-12-2008, 09:25 PM
First off, the SRM-210 is a great trimmer. It has the right amount of power for most lawn applications.

Secondly, the unit you buy at HD is the same as the dealer one. Actually, I was looking through my local dealer (Makinson Hardware, great dealer and been in the area for 125 years), and their SRM-210 was $20 cheaper than the HD version. What a concept.

Lastly, Echo dealers will service HD units as long as you registered the warranty with Echo. I know this, I own a HD unit and have had it fixed by my dealer who is now the only guy I by handhelds from.

IA_James
05-12-2008, 09:52 PM
I have a 210 and love it, enough power for what I do, always starts. A little cold blooded, yes. Enough to make me not buy another? Not hardly. I'd buy another in a New York minute. I'm also very happy with my ES230. I'd buy another one of those too.

Capemay Eagle
05-12-2008, 10:44 PM
I have this trimmer and for the money it is great and hardly ever have I wished I had more power. The only complaint I have is that it takes a little longer than I would like to warm up. I have found that turning the trimmer upside down causes it to warm up more quickly for whatever reason.
I am not sure if anyone knows this, but Echo requires you run 89 octane in all thier engines. Might make a difference if yours is running like crap.

BanvilleLawnCare
05-12-2008, 10:52 PM
I actually use 93 octane

Pennington Lawncare
05-12-2008, 11:20 PM
I also fill up my pre-mix can with 93 octane. Gas tends to lose octane over time and using 93 helps to avoid detonation. Not usually a problem with trimmers as long as the factory guard/string cutter is still being used but, if you lug the engine by having a little too much string out it probably helps.

Now I need to find some way to give my Husqvarna 323L a foam grip where the throttle handle is.

TomberLawn
05-13-2008, 12:04 AM
I've had my SRM210 for just over a year in part-time commercial service. I think this is probably the best trimmer on the market for 4 reasons: Adequate power, light weight, reliable service, and affordable price. What else can you ask for out of a trimmer? For normal trimming, I've always had enough power. I sometimes have to jog to keep up with it at WOT. I cut some 2-3 ft tall weeds this afternoon, and that did make it bog, but it still cut it.
Mine has never been hard to start. I usually push the primer 2-3 times, pull twice with choke on, once with choke off, and it's ready. It helps it you hold the throttle open while pulling the starter rope. After cranking, it is a little cold, but running it at 1/2 throttle warms it up quickly and you can go ahead and start trimming light grass.
I keep trying to decide if I should get another 210 when I need another trimmer or if I should get a slightly larger one, like a 251E. As good as the 210 has been, I won't have to make that decision for a while.

vateam
06-05-2009, 12:14 AM
Quick question.... want some opinions please... I have the SRM-210 trimmer bought from HD 4 1/2 years ago. I have done all the easy updates(air filter,spark plug, fuel filter) I haven't touch anything else nor has it received a tune up. Its getting sluggish now of course so needs a tune up($70-85). But i also have wore out the top of the spark plug coil so that will need replaced also. I love to trimmer b/c its been so good to me. Main question is should i upgrade to Stihl before spending the $$$ to tune it up and repair parts? I have 15-20 accounts... All input would help.. Thanks!!

Richard Martin
06-05-2009, 04:10 AM
I'm not too sure what would be done in a tune up that you haven't already done. I guess they could remove the muffler and decarbon the exhaust port. Does your muffler still have the spark arrestor screen in it? If it does then remove it and see if your trimmer picks up some power again. If the boot on top of the spark plug wire is worn out just get a boot from and old spark plug wire and put on it.

I don't like to get rid of good running hand tools.

eatonpcat
06-05-2009, 06:56 AM
I just bought one of those from Home Depot as well and the way the carb is tuned from the factory is quite a bit on the rich side and just does run decent at wide open throttle. I already looked for the carb adjustment screws and hopefully they are hidden under the air filter somewhere. It does start easy enough and the bump feed head works well. The soft foam handles are comfortable and I wish my Husqvarna 323L had those soft handles and I wish the Echo had more and smoother power like the Husqvarna. The main reason I bought the Echo was for the 5 year warranty.

I believe the 5 year warranty only applies to homeowners. I think commercial is only 1 year...Maybe 2??

nobagger
06-05-2009, 07:03 AM
I've run a 210 for years, actually since we started. I use it as a back up and a second trimmer a few days a week. I bet it has hundreds of hours on it and the only thing I've done to it is a new spark plug this year and new air filters through out its life. Again we still use it about 3 days a week. My local dealer said he cant believe we still have it and use it. I will say its perfect for guys just starting out who want more than a average trimmer but cant afford a bigger unit. We now buy the 230's and thinking of switching to Shindowa's.

Allens LawnCare
06-05-2009, 08:12 AM
They are great, stick with just the trimmer head, awesome for the price for just trimming. Once you throw a brush blade on it the can over heat quick and seize up

ALC-GregH
06-05-2009, 08:57 AM
10 years on my 210 trimmer. Never changed the plug, air filter or anything else for that matter. Still runs great. I chalk it up to using Amsoil Saber all these years. :)

kaferhaus
06-05-2009, 09:01 AM
We still have a few that are still running. We've switched to Stihl though. The Echo's are okay and gave us good service. But we often felt a need for more HP and the Echo's are very loud compared to the 4 mix engines.... more power, quieter and better fuel economy. Also more expensive....... there's always a down side!

dougmartin2003
06-05-2009, 09:09 AM
have had 2 of them now for over 3 years and still running great, for the average yard they are great.

ALC-GregH
06-05-2009, 09:27 AM
10 years on my 210 trimmer. Never changed the plug, air filter or anything else for that matter. Still runs great. I chalk it up to using Amsoil Saber all these years. :)

With this said, I bought a FS90R a few days ago for heavy growth areas I only trim now and again on 2 farms I cut. The 210 will cut it but it takes time and will bog down in the thick stuff. I think it's getting tired with 10 years of use under it's cover. I haven't used the FS90 anywhere as of yet. I hope to see what it's got tomorrow. I do like the sound of the 4 mix, I just hope it will last as long as the 210 has lasted.

Rons Rightway Lawncare
06-05-2009, 09:35 AM
Where do you plan on getting it repaired when it needs fixed? It will need work sometime. H.D. will have it sent off and you will be lucky to get it back in 2 or 3 weeks.
I doubt your local Echo, independent dealer, will care much about getting your machine fixed quickly, since you undercut him by buying at H.D.

Work on it yourself. Fixing a trimmer is extremely easy work. If you can't tackle this kind of job then I feel sorry for you, cause I can't imagine being in this business and not being able to make simple repairs yourself.

Secondly, as far as Echo goes, Echo sets the price on it's products and the price you pay for the trimmer would be the same at your local dealer as Home Depot..... and Home depot is firm on their price, your dealer might be able to knock a few bucks off the price.

Deori
08-15-2009, 01:34 AM
Hey Chop Stuff,
I agree that the throttle safety clips are more of a pain than anything, but you can actually open the housing box up and remove it very easily. The throttle is then free to work fine and it's no longer an issue. Or you can tape them down :)

My main issues I've ran into with Echo: the safety throttle lockout breaking off (ended up just taping them down)

Thunderhead
08-16-2009, 03:48 PM
I have an SRM-210 trimmer that I've had for over 6 years now. Its done paid for itself several times. The only thing I've ever done to it is put a new primer bulb in it and that was about a month ago! Of course I've put some air filters and fuel filters, but thats just maintenance items. I changed the spark plug twice, and thats only because I wanted to. Whether it matters or not, I have never ran anything but Echo oil in it since the day I bought it.
The only regret I have about buying it is that I bought it from H. Depot- I wish I'd have gave my money to an Echo dealer. But, I was 19 at the time I got it and wasn't thinking about anything like that. (live and learn)

Thunderhead:)

YardBoss Lawncare
08-16-2009, 03:56 PM
This is the trimmer I use and they've worked great for me. They're pretty light and have plenty of power for weekly groomed accounts.

Pennington Lawncare
08-16-2009, 04:00 PM
I'm sure the ones made 6 years ago had adjustment screws on the carbs but, these newer ones don't and the newer ones are hard to start even if you've just used it 30 minutes ago. It's just the new crappy non-adjustable EPA carbs.

I recently had someone give me a curved shaft Echo and I believe the model was GT-200 and the thing has a 21 cc engine like the SRM-210 but, the GT-200 starts easily and it actually revs up pretty good and it has adjustment screws on the older carb. My SRM-210 was purchased a year ago and barely revs high enough to run cleanly. The dang thing used to ooze oil from the exhaust until I started running Amsoil Saber in it.