PDA

View Full Version : Lawn Color Differances

Wright48
05-11-2008, 09:03 PM
:confused:Im having trouble with a customers lawn its growing great no weeds but the lawn has some spots in it that are lighter green and some spots are darker green im having trouble deciding what to do any ideas?

jbturf
05-11-2008, 09:13 PM
if they are patches, maybe look at what types of grasses you have gowing
there, in know in my area there are patches of bentgrass everywhere -
that look neon green compared to the desireable turf present

the only other thought that comes to mind is dog spots

PSUTURFGEEK
05-11-2008, 09:19 PM
Considering youre from a similar part of the country as I am, You more than likely are seeing patches of Poa trivialis and Annual. Certainty will help with the Triv but not the annual, which will become less noticeable as the spring goes on. Just make sure you do three seperate apps at the lowest labled rate, All of the certainty plots I have done with Jeff Phillips from Monsanto here in Pa. on Rye,Blue,Fescue mix plots Our best results as far as not damaging desirable grasses have been with the split or Tri apps. and not single apps just to much stress at one time, Some new field studies at PSU now are showing how good Certainty is now working as a growth regulator and that as a label possibly, This is more Golf related but I thought I'd throw it in.

RigglePLC
05-11-2008, 09:22 PM
JB is right. Different types of grass. You probably have some Kentucky bluegrass, (which greens up slow) plus some perennial ryegrass which greens up quicker. And fine fescue in between. And there are major variations depending on the exact cultivar within each species. Baseball stadiums probably use something that greens up quick. Does anybody have any idea what types they use--so it is green by the first game?

PSUTURFGEEK
05-11-2008, 09:52 PM
Usually Fertigation and high rates of iron.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
05-11-2008, 10:37 PM
, All of the certainty plots I have done with Jeff Phillips from Monsanto here in Pa. on Rye,Blue,Fescue mix plots Our best results as far as not damaging desirable grasses have been with the split or Tri apps. and not single apps just to much stress at one time, .

If I read that right, you are using Ceratinty on desirable Rye plots without it severely damaging the rye?
I know Certainty is labeled to take Ryegrass out of overseeded Burmuda. I have ~3 acres of my own lawn that is KBG/Rye mix, but has some Tall fescue(really got ahold during the drought last year:cry:) I've been afraid to use Certainty for fear of damaging most of the desirable Rye...

teeca
05-11-2008, 10:56 PM
JB is right. Different types of grass. You probably have some Kentucky bluegrass, (which greens up slow) plus some perennial ryegrass which greens up quicker. And fine fescue in between. And there are major variations depending on the exact cultivar within each species. Baseball stadiums probably use something that greens up quick. Does anybody have any idea what types they use--so it is green by the first game?

dito... it'll work it's self out as the season progress's.. i've seen this many years and talked to purdue about it.. it's the difference in the grass species that you seeing.

tlg
05-11-2008, 11:09 PM
:confused:Im having trouble with a customers lawn its growing great no weeds but the lawn has some spots in it that are lighter green and some spots are darker green im having trouble deciding what to do any ideas?

The other guys are right about different grass types and color variations. Some grasses respond slowly in the spring while other may green up faster. Other factors like soil temps, water amounts, soil compaction can all effect grass growth and color. Sometimes rapid growth in the spring can also cause flush growth that can cause discoloration or yellowing in patches. If you do have different grass types getting even color may never happen.

tlg
05-11-2008, 11:25 PM

Comerica Park home of the Detroit Tigers has a playing field of Kentucky Bluegrass. The variety is Moonlight. I believe they force it to get it green for the first game. They cover it with tarps to warm the soil from what I was told. They also mow it to 1".

tremor
05-12-2008, 12:55 AM
We've blasted Yankee Stadium with Ammonium Nitrate for the same reason. Most improved Blues are slow to go in the spring.

Wright48 sounds more like patches of Poa or Bent. Overseed aggressively with Perennial Ryegrass to even things out for next year.

teeca
05-12-2008, 06:20 PM
We've blasted Yankee Stadium with Ammonium Nitrate for the same reason. Most improved Blues are slow to go in the sprig.

man i bet that grows an inch over night!

Tscape
05-12-2008, 06:35 PM
Comerica Park home of the Detroit Tigers has a playing field of Kentucky Bluegrass. The variety is Moonlight. I believe they force it to get it green for the first game. They cover it with tarps to warm the soil from what I was told. They also mow it to 1".

The varieties are Midnight, Blacksburg, and America. The tarps are not used to green up the grass, but to control the moisture in the clay of the infield skin. Iron and fertilizer apps begin in March and the mowing height is dropped to cut out as much dead tissue as possible, which stimulates growth as the sunlight reaches live tissue easier.

I worked on the crew from opening day 2000 until the end of 2001. Good times.