PDA

View Full Version : Brown spots

RigglePLC
05-11-2008, 08:37 PM
After round one(granular crabgrass control, a customer canceled without reason on the phone. So last week I was next door and I noticed some big brown spots in her yard. Got to talking with lady and she said she took it to a garden store and they told her it was probably grubs. Neighbor said he had grubs, too. She blamed me for not killing them. Cancelled and treated them herself, with stuff the store sold her. I looked at the spots which she said happened right after I treated during spring break when they were out of town, (so my fault).

I checked for grubs, sampled 3 places and found one dead grub. Looked carefully at the spots and pattern. Looked like Roundup injury to me. Some areas had straight lines. Some circles. Some looked like a person stood in one spot with a hand sprayer and sprayed as far as he could reach. Vandalism. She was not convinced. (Sigh.) Frustrated. :cry:

Ever had this happen?

tlg
05-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Were the brown spots there when you did the first application? What did she take to the garden center the grass?? Did the spots look like chemical damage on your second visit? Did she have a preventative grub app last year? It amazes me that a garden center can sell a homeowner a grub control product without anyone being sure there was a grub problem. Not to mention it's a little late to worry about the grubs now.

teeca
05-11-2008, 10:35 PM
after the dry season we had last year, the people that didn't irragate all had brown spots in the lawn... and as history has shown.. last year showed grub/insect/drought damage this spring, the year before we had a wet growing seasonn and little to no damage.

all i know for sure is that the lawns in central indiana that we left alone without irragation looked like a$$, and had major dandy problems this spring, but are looking good now going into the 2nd round... water! water! water! water! if people did this like recommend, we'd all be on easy street reeping the benifits!

whoopassonthebluegrass
05-11-2008, 10:39 PM
Ever had this happen?

That sucks. Never dealt with that specifically, but lost an account this year b/c the homeowner said his lawn never came out of dormancy so poorly...

He didn't want to listen to the fact that b/c of our crazy winter, the same thing could be said of every lawn in the area...

What do you do? You can't please all the people all the time. So many people are too quick to point fingers and jump to conclusions...

turfsolutions
05-12-2008, 07:51 PM
Not sure if this is the case but I have had customers get impatient between step 1 (crabgrass w fert) and step 2 (broadleaf weed spraying) and go out themselves with non selective weed killer or too highly concentrated selective weed killer and leave brown spots all over the lawn. Just a thought.

teeca
05-12-2008, 10:01 PM
Not sure if this is the case but I have had customers get impatient between step 1 (crabgrass w fert) and step 2 (broadleaf weed spraying) and go out themselves with non selective weed killer or too highly concentrated selective weed killer and leave brown spots all over the lawn. Just a thought.

i have a hotel like that... maintenance man who knows everything. he went out and sprayed dandy's with round up... lol what a dumb a$$

humble1
05-12-2008, 10:42 PM
After round one(granular crabgrass control, a customer canceled without reason on the phone. So last week I was next door and I noticed some big brown spots in her yard. Got to talking with lady and she said she took it to a garden store and they told her it was probably grubs. Neighbor said he had grubs, too. She blamed me for not killing them. Cancelled and treated them herself, with stuff the store sold her. I looked at the spots which she said happened right after I treated during spring break when they were out of town, (so my fault).

I checked for grubs, sampled 3 places and found one dead grub. Looked carefully at the spots and pattern. Looked like Roundup injury to me. Some areas had straight lines. Some circles. Some looked like a person stood in one spot with a hand sprayer and sprayed as far as he could reach. Vandalism. She was not convinced. (Sigh.) Frustrated. :cry:

Ever had this happen?

sounds like frankfescue and his roundup ballons

Whitey4
05-12-2008, 11:56 PM
sounds like frankfescue and his roundup ballons

:laugh::laugh::laugh: