PDA

View Full Version : Grass wont grow.

Yfzjim
05-11-2008, 11:56 PM
My yard seems to be greening up but there is very little growth. I put down some 28-3-3 about a month ago to kill the weeds but I am getting very litlle growth. only needs to be mowed about once every 2 weeks and everyone elses yards need mowed every 5-6 days. Someone local suggested 19-19-19. what do you guys think?
Thanks in advance
Jimmy

BCSteel
05-12-2008, 12:19 AM
What do I think? I dont see what the problem is. You have turf that is greening up as you put it but little growth. Might just be me but thats kind of what I try to get, healthy, slow growing grass. Massive growth sucks to cut and isnt too good for the grass either.

Yfzjim
05-12-2008, 12:39 AM
let me clarify a little more. it is greener then it was. spots are growing normal, rest is very slow to grow. I want it to grow so it will thinken up and will look nicer, I can stripe it etc.

amscapes03
05-12-2008, 12:54 AM
Try seed-slicing the yard. What type of fert. did you put down?

Yfzjim
05-12-2008, 02:10 AM
it was a weed and feed from an ace hardware store.

mngrassguy
05-12-2008, 06:38 AM
What kind of grass do you have? Get a soil test lately? How much are you watering? How tall are you mowing?

RigglePLC
05-12-2008, 08:27 AM
Ryegrass greens up quicker than Kentucky bluegrass. And you need plenty of water for good growth. And you need plenty of fertilizer. And warm temperatures suited to the type of grass you are growing. What is soil temperature? Excess growth is not a good thing. If you can mow once a week that is ideal. Heavy rain, high nitrogen, and high soil temps could make it almost impossible to mow in September. Appreciate what you 've got.

Blink74
05-12-2008, 08:14 PM
Read the bag of weed and feed. There is probably a recommendation in regards to reseeding or use on new turf. My guess is the broadleaf herbicide is stressing out your new grass. I typically won't use herbicides on new grass until it has been cut a few times.

Yfzjim
05-13-2008, 05:53 AM
Read the bag of weed and feed. There is probably a recommendation in regards to reseeding or use on new turf. My guess is the broadleaf herbicide is stressing out your new grass. I typically won't use herbicides on new grass until it has been cut a few times.

its not new grass, it is about 2 years old. I dont know what kind of grass it is. It seems to be some kind of contractors mix. I am mowing it at 3.75". I havent watered it due to the rain we have been getting every 3 or 4 days. How often can I put down more fertilizer?

Blink74
05-13-2008, 08:31 AM
In that case it's probably a soil issue. ie. compaction or Ph levels. Find a local John Deere Landscapes Center and get the soil tested.

I have seen starter fertilizer work some wonders. It can be applied as often as every 4 weeks. Read the label on the bag.

Smallaxe
05-13-2008, 09:01 AM
I would look at compaction due to overwatering. I have a couple of lawns that the HO watered everyday. One lawn 10 years old is growing a bit and has been mowed once. The 2 yr. old lawn may not need mowing this week but we are going to anyways to clean it up.
My non-irrigated lawns are growing healthier than those 2.

mngrassguy
05-13-2008, 04:02 PM
How much fert did you put down on what size area (rate)?

Yfzjim
05-13-2008, 06:03 PM
I have a scotts spreader and I set it on 5 3/4. per the instructions on the bag. Now that I think about it I used the scotts super turfbulider plus2 weed control not the ace brand fert. I think its still 28-3-3