PDA

View Full Version : Guess what I did today ????

SCAPEASAURUSREX
12-15-2001, 04:27 PM
Cant' believe it s December and today I put down sod for a client.. Yes SOD.... This is unbelievable in NJ this time of year... never would have thought about doing this... Crazy or what ?? Cant believe I actually found SOD at a garden center too..Had no choice.. a commercial client with a franchise needed it done to reopen after a major renovation.. The franchise would not let them reopen unless it was done... Ohh well .. It's done... And will probably get redone in the Spring...

Highpoint
12-15-2001, 04:42 PM
We laid 1000 yrds last week. The sod farm we got it from said they had orders for 40,000 yards that week:blob3:

mdb landscaping
12-15-2001, 04:58 PM
i saw another LCO putting down sod the other day as well. crazy weather. they still say the snow is coming. who knows when?

Turfdude
12-15-2001, 05:12 PM
As long as farms can cut it, you can install it. The fact that the sod is in its winter dormancy just eliminates the need for watering,unless it it continally above averae temps. We've laid sod in January and February and I prefer this to the drought restricted period in late summer '99. Clients had to water 2 - 3 times a day then for it to take and had we not received the above avg.rainfall that fall, it may have continued to have been under stress.

Bob

scottt
12-15-2001, 08:14 PM
That is one thing I like about this area. You can lay bermuda anytime of the year as long as there is no snow on the ground. I have NEVER had to replace any bermuda either, its tough stuff. I was finishing up a landscape install at a local restaraunt and there was another company laying sod at the business next door. It was in the low 20's and the flakes were just starting to fall. We got a little over 6" that night. When spring rolled around it greened right up and looks great now.

Albemarle Lawn
12-16-2001, 02:03 AM
In Virginia.

Ken

yergus
12-16-2001, 03:43 PM
I will be laying sod if it ever stops raining and the ground dries up enough to cut it. that is if the freeze doesn't beat the dry spell.
hoping to have it done before christmas.

HOMER
12-17-2001, 07:07 AM
It gets laid year round down here. Much better to lay it in the fall and winter than in the heat of the summer. We do have to water it though until it gets rooted in.

David Gretzmier
12-18-2001, 12:19 AM
Scott, I'll have to disagree on that bermuda thing. last winter with all the ice and stuff, LOTS of dead bermuda around, new sod and existing turf. we picked up a wallgreens drugstore , and even though we poured nitrogen on it, it couldn't spread far enough to cover all the dead sod from the icestorm. it was laid about a week from the permafrost. Dave g