PDA

View Full Version : 32 hydro?

scagman
12-16-2001, 01:37 AM
I use the scag lineup I do almost all res and go through alot of gates i use a 32 belt drive I want to get a 32 hydro but scag only makes gear drive can anyone help me find a good mower with pistol grips

Albemarle Lawn
12-16-2001, 01:42 AM
Is that some spooky new STD?:blush:

Runner
12-16-2001, 01:53 AM
I don't know of ANYone that makes a 32 hydro, but why don't you just go with a 36? There isn't a gate made that a 36" won't go through, unless it has walls on both sides of it. I understand there is some company named "S" mart, or "X" mart, or SOMEthing like that, that is supposed to make a pretty nice one.;)

Kent Lawns
12-16-2001, 02:03 AM
Originally posted by Runner
There isn't a gate made that a 36" won't go through, unless it has walls on both sides of it.

Huh?
We have a number of clients that have a narrower gate. Some won't even allow a 32" thru, gotta go with a 21".

Runner
12-16-2001, 02:31 AM
There's a trick to it.
I used to put a 52" through a 40" gate all the time.;)

Green Care
12-16-2001, 02:52 AM
Yeah ?????????

Runner
12-16-2001, 03:44 AM
Yeah, let me see if I can find the thread with the "carefully written instrukshuns".

O.k., found them. Here we go.

52" cut through a 36" gate. I do it all the time. With the gate open, pull the mower up and turn it sideways.(not up on it's side, but facing the same way as the length of the fence) Roll it back just a little, and stick the sied edge of the deck into gate opening. If the gate opens to th left as you're looking at it, then stick the right side through first. If the gate opens to the right as you're looking at it, then stick the left side through first. This is only if the gate opens inward-if it opens outward,(toward you) then it is the opposite of this. Now, once you have the edge of the deck poking into the gate opening, shimmy the mower toward the fence (pivot the front and pulling the back sideways) so the rear tire goes right up against the pole. Now, this SHOULD be the pole opposite the one with the gate. Pull the mower back slightly and pivot the whole mower so that the post goes between the front of the back tire, and the rear of the deck. (that little gap) As you pivot the mower in, the front caster(s) will hit the gate and post. Push down on the handlebars to raise the front of the mower (keeping the other post still tucked in that gap) and follow through with the pivot - the front casters will roll or rub on the gate at what ever height they are at (usually about 18" or so) Make sure your casters are swiveled inward of the mower to shorten it's length. After you pivot it straight, set the front end down, and wha-lah! you're in! When coming back out, repeat, only I pull the back of the mower through first, then tick it in to the post and lift. Also, I try to do this on the opposite side of my battery. I know this sounds like alot, but it really isn't all that bad, as I have just explained it in detail. The whole procedure takes only about 30 seconds each way. Once you do it a few times, it comes naturally.

casey
12-16-2001, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by scagman
I use the scag lineup I do almost all res and go through alot of gates i use a 32 belt drive I want to get a 32 hydro but scag only makes gear drive can anyone help me find a good mower with pistol grips

Exmark Viking 32 hydro. As usual the leader determines the pace.
But you'll have to make due with superior ECS controls.

Kent Lawns
12-16-2001, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Runner
There's a trick to it.
I used to put a 52" through a 40" gate all the time.;)

A 52" thru a 40" is easy.

I'm not as convinced about a 36" thru a 28" gate, though, perhaps you could elaborate.

Turf Cutters
12-16-2001, 01:57 PM
Encore was still making 32" hydros a while back.

Runner
12-16-2001, 03:00 PM
scagman,
Yep. Casey's right. Exmark does now make a 32" hydro. Slick. Kentlawns, as long as the front end is lifted up far enough, and the mower is already wrapped around the opposite post, the length of the mower is then shortened enough to pivot through sideways. It SHOULD work. The only thing I could think of, that would hold this up, would be that because of the larger (taller)tires of a hydro, there might not be as much room between the front of the tire, and the rear edge of the deck to put that post. Let's try it! Anyone else do this?

odin
12-16-2001, 05:18 PM
Out all all ouir jobs with a gate only one we cant get in a 36 and it was because you had a concrete steps and brick walls on each side .
If it were'nt for gates we wouldnt need a 36in

LJ lawn
12-16-2001, 10:32 PM
great dane makes one.if you get your FREE copy of TURF or PRO magazine they always run the full page ads.SCAG used to make one a few years back.i was looking for one a couple years ago when i bought my exmark 32" belt drive(nobody made it then)it's a pain if the customer has a big back yard but a small gate.i wanted to put the velky on it and ride.the other problem was finding a 32 with a KAWI engine.all the other manufactures make them with either briggs or tecumseh,I would have bought the bobcat but i couldn't get it with the KAWI either.luckily the exmark came with the 12hp KAWI.

casey
12-16-2001, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by LJ lawn
great dane makes one.

They make a 32 hydro unit? Do you have a link? I was looking for one last year but was unable to find. Perhaps this is why.

http://www.lawnmowerdealers.net/articles/111000.htm

geogunn
12-16-2001, 11:37 PM
sorry I cannot be helpful to this thread. but because I can't resist I have to submit something.

I routinely get a 48 through a 40 inch gate. FWIW

but for the need of a 32 inch I think that you would hardly ever need a hydro. the cost is more than a belt unit and the possibility of return on your investment is low.

why don't you consider a belt?

GEO

Grassman
12-17-2001, 01:10 PM
It's foolish to spend the $'s for a hydro on a 36" or less mower.

casey
12-17-2001, 02:57 PM
Is it foolish if 90% of your props are gated & 40% of gates will not allow a 36"? Alleyways between houses are a prelude to small gates so fitting a bigger mower through is not an option.

Trimline
12-17-2001, 05:34 PM
We purchased a 32" Exmark this past season, our first WB from Exmark. Best machine I've owned (beside the lazers, of course) Won't ever buy anything but Exmark when it comes to mowers. As far as hydro or not, we went with the belt drive, and are regretting it every time we use it. Most lawns with gates are small, with close quarters inside. Turning at the end of each pass is tough without making 2 or 3 loops around the yard, since its only 32". Hydro would save you that time with the reverse mode. Not to mention the corners of the lots, with fences, as well as mowing under and around obstacles and landscape. It's going to be worth the extra money my next time around, I'll tell you!

strickdad
12-18-2001, 03:42 AM
great dane does make a 32 hydro call them at 1-877-246-8770

casey
12-18-2001, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by strickdad
great dane does make a 32 hydro call them at 1-877-246-8770

"36 is the smallest we go"

Great Dane rep.