PDA

View Full Version : Buying Lights Online

gibsonsg311
05-12-2008, 09:55 PM
I've been trying to find a website to purchase lights. If anybody knows of any good online stores that would be great. Thanks

David Gretzmier
05-12-2008, 11:42 PM
You can find some quality stuff on ebay if you know what you are looking for. I have seen closeouts on Kichler Pro, Unique, nightscaping and Fx. Buyer beware however. If they are on ebay, then the manufacturer has dumped them for a reason. replacement parts may be an issue, and it may have a defect such as a hot socket/shorts and or blowing bulbs etc. All that being said, I have bought pro name brand bulbs, fixtures and tranformers off ebay and have had 95% good luck.

Atlas supply on ebay/online has 10 guage wire shipped in 500 ft spools for around 60 cents a foot, that is 20 cents cheaper than my supplier right now.

Ive also got a few ryco trans I've gotten off ebay I am testing in my home and 2 long term customer locations, it's been awhile ( 1 year now? ) and they are going ok. photo-cell went out in one, but put it on an external timer and it is fine. again, buyer beware.

Chris J
05-12-2008, 11:48 PM
What are you doing about warranty return items if you got it off ebay? You might also want to do a bit more shopping for your wire. There are better deals through real companies.

David Gretzmier
05-13-2008, 12:03 AM
I'll name names Chris- multi store chains -I've shopped at Keeling Company, Ewing Irrigation, Upchurch Elecrical Supply, Meeks, National Supply, Grainger, and all other one store local electrical supply brick and mortar companies here, all electrical and irrigation/landscape light supply houses. probaly a dozen or so serving the 400k folks we have here in NWA arkansas. all are at 35-45 cents a foot for 12 and 80-90 for 10. One roll or 30. I buy at lowes for 12ga around 30 cents a foot and 10ga is 74cents. So I buy from atlas on 10 and 12 from Lowes.

Name some real companies with real phone numbers and I'll make real phone calls or emails. PM me if you have to.

irrig8r
05-13-2008, 01:25 AM
I've been trying to find a website to purchase lights. If anybody knows of any good online stores that would be great. Thanks

Your profile says you're 18 y.o. and in business 6 years. If that's the truth, then I'd suggest you take the time to get some good training and do a little studying of the subject before you go out and try to sell yourself as a professional illuminator.

If you're simply looking to buy lights at the lowest prices you can find you won't last long in this business.

Build up a long-term relationship with a distributor, whether local brick and mortar, or online with somebody like CLL, Terradek or FOLD for example.

Chris J
05-13-2008, 05:45 AM
I'll name names Chris- multi store chains -I've shopped at Keeling Company, Ewing Irrigation, Upchurch Elecrical Supply, Meeks, National Supply, Grainger, and all other one store local electrical supply brick and mortar companies here, all electrical and irrigation/landscape light supply houses. probaly a dozen or so serving the 400k folks we have here in NWA arkansas. all are at 35-45 cents a foot for 12 and 80-90 for 10. One roll or 30. I buy at lowes for 12ga around 30 cents a foot and 10ga is 74cents. So I buy from atlas on 10 and 12 from Lowes.

Name some real companies with real phone numbers and I'll make real phone calls or emails. PM me if you have to.

Billy, will you PM David the number to Cables Plus. I am on my way to the FOLD seminar, and don't have the number.

steveparrott
05-13-2008, 08:05 AM
There are so many advantages to building a relationship with a good distributor. Our company does not, and will not, allow our products to be sold by Internet-based sellers. They undercut the many types of support that good distributors offer.

To name a few that most of our distributors offer:

- Local in-field and over-the-counter technical support by well-trained and knowledgable people
- Local training events
- Credit and payment terms
- Fully stocked inventory for often-times same-day purchasing and pick-up
- No shipping fees and no hassles with picking up large product orders
- Many distributors will deliver product to your worksite
- Many distributors will give you homeowner referrals
- Many distributors have co-op dollars available for your advertising

All these types of support are valuable in the long-term success of your business. They help you streamline the ordering, pick-up and payment of your products so you can spend your time selling, designing and installing.

The few extra dollars you pay for buying through a good distributor are nothing compared to the benefits you receive.

NightScenes
05-13-2008, 12:39 PM
Your profile says you're 18 y.o. and in business 6 years. If that's the truth, then I'd suggest you take the time to get some good training and do a little studying of the subject before you go out and try to sell yourself as a professional illuminator.

If you're simply looking to buy lights at the lowest prices you can find you won't last long in this business.

Build up a long-term relationship with a distributor, whether local brick and mortar, or online with somebody like CLL, Terradek or FOLD for example.

Here are some real words of wisdom from one of the top pros in the country and you would be well served to listen to them. There is nothing wrong with supplementing some supplies via the web but you need to develop relationships with distributors who can help you when you need it. This may mean that you pay more for your product but it beats the hell out of going out of business after a short stint in this profession. Besides, if you work off of material markup percentages than the more you pay, the more you make.

Just a thought,

extlights
05-13-2008, 09:39 PM
We tried to work with Cables Plus and I talked to them a few times but they said that we would have to go through a local supplier. They were supposed to have their sales rep or whoever call us, but never did...even after I called more than a few times. I was going to order 50,000 ft. of 12/2 to start just to see how we liked the wire, but apparently that wasn't a big enough order? If I have to call 3 times to try and buy something from a company and get no response then it's off to the next guy. Our season is too short to deal with poor customer service from our suppliers.....just another reason to get in good with your suppliers...if you do good business with them they will usually bend over backwards to make sure you're happy.

NightScenes
05-13-2008, 09:53 PM
I had an interesting experience with Cables Plus as well and decided that I did not want to do business with that company. I do by my wire direct from another manufacturer who takes very good care of me. As for my lighting product, I buy most of it through 3 different distributors of which I have a very good relationship.

bmwsmity
05-13-2008, 10:27 PM
the ability to get defective products quickly replaced under warranty (often same-day) is well worth any extra cost of going through a local distributor. not to mention having product available for pick up on the same day so you can keep lead times down.

NiteTymeIlluminations
05-14-2008, 07:56 AM
Cable Plus isn't going to sell a contractor directly UNLESS a distributor had instructed them to do so. They are not going to endanger taking a distributor's client and selling them direct. I'm sure you can all understand that. It would be like Kichler or Unique selling direct.

Those of you who do buy from Cables Plus direct should keep it on the hush and hush and thank the person who hooked you up with them directly.

As far as online suppliers of lighting. man every distributor would prefer to sell online and a distributor who doesnt have a comprehensive website is shooting themselves in the foot. I, when I was a distributor, spent way more money keeping my website up to date than any other type of advertising. I landed many huge clients because of it. It polishes your professionalism.

I dont like the way FOLD keeps their website so inaccessible. But I do like the password game, that being said, when a contractor does get a password the prices list need to be either Retail or contractor price, not a hybrid. I hate when distrbutors try to sneak in a 40% markup on naive guys.

Keep posted sooner or later someone will list a distributor with a good website whom you can buy online. Good luck!

by the way, sometone tell James at Cables Plus i said hey! And that he still owes me dinner!!!!

David Gretzmier
05-15-2008, 12:39 AM
I guess I'm on the other side of the distributor thing. my local distibutors-Keeling and Ewing, don't even typically stock enough bullets for one of my jobs. they may have 16 or 25, but I have 2 jobs currently that exceed that. also, on bulbs, they may carry a few, but if you need 50 20 watt 60 degrees, they don't have them. If I have to wait for them to order them, I can order them. They will stock one or two trans of each size, and a few lights of each style of either nightscaping or FX, but that is it.

my distibutors don't really offer terms to someone my size. They will deliver.

I've never gotten a homeowner referral after shopping for miscellaneous items for 8 years, but then I don't buy much.

both my distributors sell to homeowners at pretty much the same price they sell to me for. Since homeowners can price shop me, I have to find items they cannot do that on to be able to mark up goods.

going with a distributor costs WAY more than just a few dollars. silicone wirenuts at a distributor, 80 cents each, my cost, 35cents. that's a dollar a connection. that's easily 50-70 bucks a DAY. I've already commented on other threads what my distributor wants for wire.

I could go on, but in my world, Every extra dollar I spend at a distributor needs to be coming back to me in benefits. I am not seeing the benefits others are seeing and the incresed cost is easily in the hundreds per JOB.

Lite4
05-15-2008, 01:26 AM
I have noticed I pay quite a bit more going through my dist. but they do give me some credit terms which frees up some cash which we all know is important to small business. I will buy some things online, fuses, fuse blocks, fuse enclosures, bulbs, connectors, lenses, tools and the like. I wish I had a distributor in my area for the superflex wire. My JDL can't bring it in, and cables plus wont talk to me. Anybody, know where I can get some at decent prices?