PDA

View Full Version : Skimmer and pump preferences?

Toker
05-13-2008, 11:02 AM
Hello to all - new on forum and need some advice.

There are tons of product out there and some it's easy to see it's not so hot. Then there all the others....so I am seeking some advice.
I'm turned off by Aquascape, mainly because of the distribution manner and sea of dead pumps I saw stacked at a retailer. That was enough for me.

In the mid-range priced skimmers I see these being menioned - Savio, EasyPro and Aquascape (ruled out). Sometimes Atlantic but was under impression they more low end? than mid-high end. Experience with any and a preference if you have one?

Pumps-so many out there and what a crazy range in prices. Is there that much difference between them? I see the electrical useage ratings comes into play t some extent but if it's somewhat close it's not a concern. So it's price to performance and quality I guess. Preferences and why?

I've been reading and following the weir vs no weir and natural falls. I suppose at times a waterfall weir will be needed too - any vendor preferences here to?

The way it is around here I sense the bids will be tight - I don't want any junk that will cause problems in days ahead but I'm bidding on the VW pricing diet and not a Mercedes Benz one. Solid value and quality vs the absolute top dog stuff.

If you can offer up any help or direction I'd love it as I need it. I'd love to get 10-15 installs out there this year to get a foothold for the future. Thank ya

TRBIGCREEK
05-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Atlantic has a retail line and a pro line, both are very good and cost efficient. In fact on some of our more budget jobs we still use the retail line and get great results. Savio is good as well. I use mostly Cal pumps with a riser screen.

TR

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
05-13-2008, 05:28 PM
Aquascapes is still my pick for skimmers. They are switching out all thier pumps for Tsurumi pumps.Currently I'm playing with Anjons Big frog pumps. They come with an in house 2 year warranty which can help down time. I also use Cal pumps if the budget is tight. I plan on going the bog filter route in the future and if I need a biofalls it will depend on the customers budget. NOW if I could only find the leak on a project I inherited. UGH!

Toker
05-13-2008, 09:58 PM
Atlantic has a retail line and a pro line, both are very good and cost efficient. In fact on some of our more budget jobs we still use the retail line and get great results. Savio is good as well. I use mostly Cal pumps with a riser screen.

TR

I'll look into the Atlantic skimmers more. On the Cal Pond pump I don't think I understand what the riser screen is? I'll search some more.

Toker
05-13-2008, 10:00 PM
[QUOTE=STL Ponds and Waterfalls;2320828]Aquascapes is still my pick for skimmers. They are switching out all thier pumps for Tsurumi pumps.Currently I'm playing with Anjons Big frog pumps. They come with an in house 2 year warranty which can help down time. I also use Cal pumps if the budget is tight. I plan on going the bog filter route in the future and if I need a biofalls it will depend on the customers budget. NOW if I could only find the leak on a project I inherited. UGH![/QUOTE

Second comment on Cal Pond pumps - first on the being "budget" pump. They seem to be liked, priced right. Is there another reason you call them "budget"??

Leaks - that word is one I'm sure I'll learn to dread too. Good luck

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
05-13-2008, 10:17 PM
I call them budget pumps because they are cheaper priced than most other pumps. I can't say what is a good quality pump since I've been primarly dealing with the ADI pumps for the most part. Submersible pumps have a very hard job to deal with, rocks, slime, dirt, grit etc. I did come across an old ADI pump last week that was at least 5 years old the homeowner said.

TRBIGCREEK
05-13-2008, 11:39 PM
Toker,

The cal pumps are good, low cost, fairly high gph for the money. I spend an extra 15 bucks for the riser screen that attaches to the bottom of the pump because the stock bottom inlet holes are two small and tree fuss, leaves, or sludge can semi clog and limit your flow. Savio solids pumps are great too but be prepared to spend 40% more for the same gph.

TR

n2h20
05-17-2008, 01:26 PM
i prefer savio skimmers and if im going to install a sub pump, id go with OASE or EASYPRO