PDA

View Full Version : Chinese quake and global supply chain?

irrig8r
05-13-2008, 11:23 AM
My heart goes out to the Chinese families suffering from the recent earthquake. It's a great human tragedy.

Prior to looking it up last night, all what I knew about the area had to do with spicy food that comes from there.

Sichuan had a population of 42 million in 2000. Chengdu is the largest city with over 10 million people. According to Wikipedia, they make everything from shoes to aircraft parts there... and....

"Chengdu has long been established as a national base for electronic and IT industry. Several key national electronic R&D institutes are located in Chengdu. Chengdu's Hi-tech Industrial Development Zone has attracted a variety of multinationals, including Intel, IBM, NOKIA, Alcatel, Motorola, SAP, and Microsoft, as well as domestic powerhouses such as Lenovo. Intel's Chengdu factory is its second one after its Shanghai factory in China and the first such large-scale foreign investment in electronic industry in interior mainland China."

According to NPR, 80% of the buildings in Chengdu were leveled in the quake.

I'm wondering how the quake will effect the supply chain of any companies we do business with who might manufacture there.

NightScenes
05-13-2008, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the info Gregg, I'm wondering the same thing. We import so many things from that region of China that it could have a huge effect on us.

JoeyD
05-14-2008, 09:39 AM
No affect on the factories we use for our molds.

Tomwilllight
05-14-2008, 05:11 PM
This is going to have a major impact on us... the damage to the computer industry will take a while to recover. But consider those who built those collapsed buildings and the victims of their incompetence, greed or both.

Schools... for God's sake...

The NYTimes ran some photos of crumbled buildings; the concrete support columns were broken and visible. The only rebar I saw was in the corners of the square columns. I'm no structural engineer but I've seen enough construction to know that was not enough steel... certainly not in earthquake country.

We all have our problems with inspectors at one time or another, but thank God they do a pretty good job of avoiding the worst kinds of structural or installation flaws.

Some of the work done by Naomi after the MGM Grand fire and the chaos in the exit stairways following the first attack on the WTT prompted an upgrade to battery back-up exit lighting in the Twin Towers. That single retrofit saved many thousands of lives on 9/11. Without those exit lights many people would never have gotten down those exit stairways in the short time they had.

High design standards and quality installation are important. Think carefully about that the next time you place a pathlight by a curb or stairway.

Tom