PDA

View Full Version : Getting a new truck

conepile
12-16-2001, 05:52 PM
I'm looking for guidance on what to get in a truck. This is Chrismastime, and I find myself wanting to order more than I probably need.

I'll preface this with I will be hauling a 16' enclosed trailer, and I eligible for Ford 'A' plan and the GM purchase plan.

I'm considering a Ford F-250 XLT 4x4 extended cab, with limited slip, cab steps, sliding rear window, off-road pkg (skid plates and a sticker), snow plow pkg, and tow pkg.

I have not yet looked at any GM trucks, but have seen enough postings to decide there is plenty of rivalry between the two.

I have no idea at this point if I will plow with this truck, and if we even get enough snow to justify it. If I decide now that I will not plow, I can save some $ by going 4x2, which after removing other associated options can save me close to $3000.

This will be my primary means of transportation, and it may be part testosterone pushing me to spend more. But at this point, I really don't know if plowing is in my future, and if I choose 4x2, it probably won't be.

P.S. On top of all of this, I have to sell any plan to the wife, who wants me to buy a used F150.

Any advice is most appreciated.

odin
12-16-2001, 06:00 PM
conepile

If you have a ralative that is a gm active worker or retiree you can put it on order and get 18 to 20% off.
Im a gm retiree and so is all 3 of brothers and we just got 18% off a duramax
It saved us a bundle.
You can also buy off the lot get 5% and haggle with 'em and also get any rebates.But when a vehecile is selling as hot as the trucks are they useally dont have a rebate.This calender year of 2001 gmc-chevy is gotting to sell more full size pickups than ford,The first time since 1994
They have a good lineup of big pushrod v8's and the duramax is now a serios contender with much more power than the old diesel.
The one we just got is a 3500 duelley pickup and we absolutely love it.
It will pull a mountain.

Randy Scott
12-16-2001, 06:51 PM
conepile, get whatever you want. We only go around once in this world and you should enjoy it. If you want a vehicle that is a little more than you need, so what. In this business we spend a fair amount of time on the road. I've got time to listen to CD's between some jobs and I do. Did I need a CD player? No, but I'm glad I have it. I know others don't view it this way, but I do. If you want a little more extras on the vehicle, get them.
I won't go into what brand to get because they all have their good and bad so it is irrelevant to shout out brands. They all have great programs going on now so it is definately time to buy. Good luck with your purchase!
P.S. They are probably going to move this to the truck forum!

Grass_Slayer
12-16-2001, 07:43 PM
what u need to do is look around at used vehicle dealers to see about older model 4wd fords or chevys. thats what i would do anyway. if you happen to get into a bad situation the 4wd will come in handy especially with that enclosed trailer.

my truck has a really big sound system in it cause its what i ride around in. the guy that works with me always brings cds to listen to on the way to jobs.

my truck was bought used and all the stuff i pull behind it is worth about twice as much as the truck.:confused:

accuratelawn
12-16-2001, 11:39 PM
I have a F-350 PSD 2wd. More truck than I really need, but oh well. I needed extended cad to haul the kids. The truck gets 15 pulling a loaded 16' trailer vs the 7-8 I was getting with the F-150 V6.

brentsawyer
12-17-2001, 01:00 PM
Thought I would share what I'm contemplating doing. I just bought a new 4X2 F-150, stripped and got what I needed. However, I now have two commercial accounts that want me to do snow removal next year and I'm faced with needing a 4X4. I got a real good deal on my new truck and it currently books $1,500 more than what I paid. I don't want to sell it and buy a 4x4 fullsize so what I was thinking of doing is sell my other truck that I had from before and buy a 92-94 Jeep Wrangler to do snow and run around in the summer when I have time. This way I'll be out about $1,500 for the new 'used' Jeep and have a brand new fullsize that I don't have to worry about for a long time.

Also, take a look at used F-150's, they don't depreciate very much at all and you never know what the truck was used for before. In my case, I paid less for a new F-150 than a used 2000, and about $900 more than a 1999

MATTHEW
12-17-2001, 01:03 PM
I remember when I first started, I had the same thought and bought a 2wd. That winter, we had snow after snow, after snow.
I went into a gas station one night and a guy was grabbing a coffee and boasting "I'm making so much money I could probably take the summer off" The north coast may not be getting much in the last few years, but that could change.