PDA

View Full Version : daycare centers and fertilization program

ant
05-13-2008, 07:01 PM
i normally stay away from these clients because the amount of kids at those places. i was asked to bid on a property that is a daycare and only treat the back where the kids play.
any of you guys treat property's like this? whats your program like?
i was going to shy away from it but i need the work!

Tscape
05-13-2008, 07:11 PM
Aerate and overseed as often as possible! A child's footprint has more PSI than an adult's, and there will be immense traffic on the turf. I always did the one I had on a Saturday or Sunday. I was happy when they canceled.

RigglePLC
05-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Not interested. Michigan has so many laws and rules, and requirements to inform parents aboout chemicals--it's not worth it. Probably we have the most roaches in our school cafeterias. Lots of regulations that make business difficult.

jc1
05-13-2008, 08:49 PM
check the laws you may not want it. Everyone needs to be notified for schools etc.

turf hokie
05-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Notify the owner/agent of the daycare of the app date and then it is the responsibility of that person to notify the parents. At least in NY.

I have one stand alone I currently do and a few corporate sites that have onsite daycares. We usually do that after 5pm Friday or first thing Sat AM that way they have 48 hour re-entry covered for Monday morning.

ant
05-13-2008, 10:49 PM
i need to look into the law..(i should know it)

heritage
05-13-2008, 11:00 PM
i need to look into the law..(i should know it)

http://www.nj.gov/dep/enforcement/pcp/ipm-laws.htm

Read #2.

Then give them a call at DEP in Trenton, to see if there are any changes.

Looks like you will be ok.

Pete

Ric3077
05-13-2008, 11:11 PM
You may want to do it with organic apps

tlg
05-13-2008, 11:32 PM
i normally stay away from these clients because the amount of kids at those places. i was asked to bid on a property that is a daycare and only treat the back where the kids play.
any of you guys treat property's like this? whats your program like?
i was going to shy away from it but i need the work!

Here in Michigan servicing these types of properties (day care and schools) you will spend more time making sure the pre-notice requirements are met then doing the work. Every parent must be told when you will be spraying and the school or day care must have an intergrated pest management program for the building or property. Sometimes it's better to avoid the problem before it starts.

LawnTamer
05-14-2008, 12:46 AM
Here it isn't bad at all. I do a couple private schools and have done a daycare. I do them Sat. AM then they water Sat. PM and Sunday PM. Not a issue at all. I hit them hard April and may with fert, prodiamine and weed control, so the rest of the year it is basically just fert.

Runner
05-14-2008, 10:48 AM
Here in Michigan, doing the public schools isn't as bad as the day cares, as they put out their notice required by law (usually a small section in the first newsletter) about the notification system. How it works, is they inform the community that they (the community members) have a right to be informed and contacted when an application is going to be applied in the common areas of the school, or in the the buildings. They must contact the district to let let the district know that they want to be informed. I just did a bunch of work for a public school district this past week. You can rest assured that I checked into them having ANYone on the pre-notification system. I don't believe the athletic fields count, but all the spraying I did up around the buildings sure would have. Also, this area (around the buildings) all had to be done after school hours, as it is classified as sensitive area (100 ft. perimeter). I could be wrong about the athletic field thing, also. As far as the day cares, - I won't touch them. Nor, will I do any rest homes for the elderly. These things are occupied 24 hours a day, and the first 100 ft. around the perimeter is classified as sensitive area that can't be sprayed in the first place.

humble1
05-14-2008, 10:05 PM
children and families protection act in MA cant do anything unless there is a 5 plus day period when no kids will be there. so when can you do your apps? plus there has to be a ipm plan on file with the state. ill pass plus add a bunch of kids and one of them could have a sensitivity to the chemical and end up in the hospital. can you say lawsuit, ill pass