PDA

View Full Version : Wright Stander

samk
12-16-2001, 09:32 PM
Pretty sure I am buying a Stander in the spring and wanted to get some input from those who own them (Danes or Wrights).

Kent Lawns
12-16-2001, 09:52 PM
I own Danes and I would buy a Wright.

GrassChopper
12-16-2001, 10:00 PM
I was using a 36" Lesco belt drive and a 52" Howard Price hydro wb. I bought a 48" Wright stander and it was so good I bought a 36" stander too. Next year I am buying a 61" Stander or Centaur. The only thing that I have had go wrong is a broken belt. I use both of them 6 days a week to mow and they have increased my productivity.

The down sides are that it is more difficult to access the blades for sharpening. I have to use a jack to lift the front.

You have to watch your head while going under trees.

You have to be very careful while turning. I noticed holes at the edges of all the lawns I was mowing. I found out that when you turn one of these, you have to be careful and do a three point turn.

You have to be extra conscious of rutting. Be sure to mow a different direction every time. The added weight will make it easier to rut the lawns.

All said and done, I wouldn't trade my Standers for any other mower (Except maybe a Centaur). I am sold on the Wrights. They are a sturdy machine and the makers really thought out the design and production. Even the local Kubota dealer was impressed when I showed him mine.

The Standers also make it much easier to mow inclines than any other mower I have used.

If I can answer any other questions, please ask.

Turfdude
12-16-2001, 10:17 PM
Most productive machine on market that isn't a z-rider!!

Posted by GrassChopper - The down sides are that it is more difficult to access the blades for sharpening. I have to use a jack to lift the front. Solution, lift up on front caster arm and push on stationary handlebar at top of unit, then slip cinderblock under deck.
You have to be very careful while turning. I noticed holes at the edges of all the lawns I was mowing. I found out that when you turn one of these, you have to be careful and do a three point turn. Actually zero turning can be done but it takes practice and patience. The key is going slow w/ turns. Keep an eye on tire that is reversing as thisis the tire w/ more torque and will rip up the lawns. It can be tough if lawns are wet, if you are on a slope, or if the front wheels are not facing right direction. Basically I have a few "idiots" - employees- that I will not allow to run these machines as they go way too fast and do not take tme w/ turns.

These machines can be a little tough on the hydro belt as mentioned before. Make sure to keep a spare and a good bungee to help hold the idler arm when changing this belt. Aviod the cog type belts for this as they fail a little quicker.

Ric
12-16-2001, 11:38 PM
Wright Also makes a sitting version of this machine. You can sit or stand. It has a small jump seat. It give more head room and is less tiring on the operator. I don't own one but those who do tell me they can wear you out standing. Ask about the sitting model they might not be out it your area. I have driven one and they are great.

GrassChopper
12-17-2001, 12:30 AM
The sitting model is called the Centaur.

scagman
12-18-2001, 12:12 AM
Ive looked into this mower but how does it get over curbs and ive heard they dont do very well on hills

GrassChopper
12-18-2001, 12:23 AM
Curbs were harder than the wb. With the wb I would just press down on the handles, popping the front end up, to get over curbs. Since I am using the Standers, I went to Lowes and bought a ramp kit. I made two ramps, 36" long, to use with the Standers because several of my accounts have grass areas only accessible over curbs. Now I don't have a problem.

As a side note, I obtained one of my accounts because the previous LCO used to pop his wb over the bricks, chipping them. The owner got mad and fired the LCO, hiring me because I use ramps.

The Stander is the BEST mower on hills. The center of gravity is much lower. Plus, you can lean into the hills with them, making them even more able to mow a steeper incline.

scagman
12-18-2001, 12:49 AM
with mowing mostly res with alot of gates and mowing some comm and probably alot more comm in the up coming season what stander should i get also is the sit down stand up mower a good one im eitheir getting a 52 wb with sulky or something else like a ztr or maybe a stander

GrassChopper
12-18-2001, 10:49 AM
If you have alot of residential with gates, and commercial, I would figure out which takes more of your time.

I have the 36" Stander for gates, and the 48" Stander for larger areas. My next one will be a 61".

scagman
12-18-2001, 01:51 PM
I think I want to get a 52 centaur and a 36 scag hydro w sulky

MRPLOW
12-18-2001, 03:28 PM
After you get some time on the Wright curbs will be no problem. You just pop a wheelie right over them, so get out in your yard and start practicing them wheelies, try that on your Z! Seriously though this works and after you get some time on it, it will seem like second nature. For going down curbs just take the mower at angle and you'll go right off the curb without even scraping. I have a 52 inch Wright and like it a lot, the only problem I have is that I only have a 16HP B&S, I'm gonna try and replace it soon though.

Turfdude
12-18-2001, 07:55 PM
Mr.Plow,

I hope you have newer standers. The first onesthat came out had inferior tower brackets for rear wheel hydro pumps. One of my idiots broke several welds "popping wheelies", until I caught him doing it and banned him from using the machine. Also, this causes a lot of stress to frame and hydro belt. Not a good idea. If the curb is too high to back up over, you must find a curb cut or driveway apron. After all, it's not like the oprator is walking behind the machine. How lazy can one be?? Just my $.02!!!

Nothing other than a Johnny Standaround bothers me more than an employee who chooses to abuse my equipment. "Not my mchine, I don't have to pay for parts/repairs"

Sorry for the rant. And I hope I'm not being offensive! Happy Holidays!

Bob

BRL
12-19-2001, 01:56 AM
FYI the Wright sit down model is spelled Sentar LOL.

"- The down sides are that it is more difficult to access the blades for sharpening. I have to use a jack to lift the front. Solution, lift up on front caster arm and push on stationary handlebar at top of unit, then slip cinderblock under deck. "
Or even safer & easier, buy a Jungle Jack & use that, well worth the money spent.

"The Stander is the BEST mower on hills. The center of gravity is much lower. Plus, you can lean into the hills with them, making them even more able to mow a steeper incline."
Agreed!!! Very safe.

"After you get some time on the Wright curbs will be no problem. You just pop a wheelie right over them, so get out in your yard and start practicing them wheelies, try that on your Z! Seriously though this works and after you get some time on it, it will seem like second nature. For going down curbs just take the mower at angle and you'll go right off the curb without even scraping."
Agreed!! The wheelie is a controlled drive up the curve. It should not be a lift the front wheels up & slam into the curb. Jim Velke loves to show off his prowess at this from what I've heard. Takes practice, but I'll agree that some employees will not learn and\or do it correctly. Get ramps for them.

"Actually zero turning can be done but it takes practice and patience. The key is going slow w/ turns. Keep an eye on tire that is reversing as thisis the tire w/ more torque and will rip up the lawns. It can be tough if lawns are wet, if you are on a slope, or if the front wheels are not facing right direction."
Concur!!

Do a search for lots more comments from others. I'm not typing what I already posted again, don't like typin'.