PDA

View Full Version : Head Protection (helmet)

Hogjaw
05-14-2008, 09:33 AM
You ride on guys, do you ever consider wearing head protection when working new properties with low tree limbs, guide wires, etc?

Runner
05-14-2008, 09:58 AM
I always wear a helmet, as I don't have a real good sense of balance. It goes back to my school days when they always made me wear my red helmet. I don't know,...they always told me it was because "I was special",....whatever THAT means.... They even gave me the one with the face mask on it. I overheard one of the ladies one day...she said it stopped me from licking the windows on the bus.;) I always got to ride a special bus, too. I didn't ride with the rest of the kids...there was only 3 of us. It was shorter, but it was ok.:dancing:

Ric
05-14-2008, 09:58 AM
You ride on guys, do you ever consider wearing head protection when working new properties with low tree limbs, guide wires, etc?

Hogjaw

I sold my Motorcycle when the Helmet laws were passed. I bought a Motorcycle when the Helmet laws were lifted. Why would I wear a helmet riding a 5 MPH machine when I don't wear one on a 150 MPH machine???

Real Green
05-14-2008, 10:27 AM
BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

I can't even take this post seriously...

tlg
05-14-2008, 11:00 AM
Lets not give OSHA any ideas. Sometimes a good knock in the head will bring you back to reality anyway. What's next a roll cage and air bags? The only thing that you need to protect you........ is you.

sprayboy
05-14-2008, 11:15 AM
Hogjaw

I sold my Motorcycle when the Helmet laws were passed. I bought a Motorcycle when the Helmet laws were lifted. Why would I wear a helmet riding a 5 MPH machine when I don't wear one on a 150 MPH machine???

I would probably consider a helmet on the magical mystery machine because it will probably spread fert at 150 mph. The trees would probably come at ya pretty quick, but then again is a helmet going to help at that speed?

Ric,
gotta ask, how fast have you had it?

kbrashears
05-14-2008, 11:53 AM
I would probably consider a helmet on the magical mystery machine because it will probably spread fert at 150 mph. The trees would probably come at ya pretty quick, but then again is a helmet going to help at that speed?

Ric,

Awesome. Well played.

yardprospraying
05-14-2008, 12:08 PM

Some of the commercial accounts that we do require hard hats. They are mainly for our r.o.w. apps. in the oil field. We do work around pumping units, pipelines, compressors, and tank farms. You definetly want to wear one in those type of applications.

As far as on our lawn apps, sometimes I wish I was wearing something, especially when your are riding at 8-10mph. I have smacked my head several times on low limbs. It sure wakes you up!!

If you have a magical mystery machine you probably need a huge helmet to protect the big head that comes with the machine. Then again you might not need a helmet if it is magical, it probably runs by itself.

ted putnam
05-14-2008, 09:13 PM
I always wear a helmet, as I don't have a real good sense of balance. It goes back to my school days when they always made me wear my red helmet. I don't know,...they always told me it was because "I was special",....whatever THAT means.... They even gave me the one with the face mask on it. I overheard one of the ladies one day...she said it stopped me from licking the windows on the bus.;) I always got to ride a special bus, too. I didn't ride with the rest of the kids...there was only 3 of us. It was shorter, but it was ok.:dancing:

OMG!!!! You're killing me man:laugh::cry::laugh::cry::laugh:

JB1
05-14-2008, 09:20 PM

Whats wrong with licking windows ?

ted putnam
05-14-2008, 09:39 PM
Whats wrong with licking windows ?

They didn't tell him the real reason they gave hime the helmet. It was because when he banged his head on brick walls they didn't want him to do any damage...to the bricks!

humble1
05-14-2008, 10:21 PM
what does this say about how difficult his pesticide exam was, or does this fall under equal oppourtunity protection?lol

JFF
05-14-2008, 10:36 PM
I wonder, does anyone else wear welders gloves to keep their knuckles from getting scar tissue when they drag the ground? Does anyone who removes their trimmer guard wear an athletic supporter and/or a cup?:laugh:

Man, I'm sorry. I have never considered wearing a helmet while doing anything in the green industry.:confused:

Hogjaw
05-14-2008, 10:52 PM
TED -

They all took this hook line and sinker!!!!!!!!!!

NOOB
05-14-2008, 11:54 PM
Hogjaw

I never say anything bad or wish anything bad But my dad was killed not wearing a helmet on a motorcycle as well as my sister she was a stunt rider on the east coast ryders all her life wore a helmet one time to run but the street to get gas got killed. WTF wear a fricken helmet hell you can kill yourself just by walking and fall and hhit your head .I say People who Drink and Drive Deserve to Die! as well as No Helmet No Future!
sorry to raid your thread

LushGreenLawn
05-15-2008, 06:08 AM
TED -

They all took this hook line and sinker!!!!!!!!!!

Its funny how when people get called out, all of a sudden they were "Joking"

A few threads down there is a thread called "embarassed", If I were you I would read it, and then post my experience about asking if a helmet is required with a ride on spreader on a public forum.:usflag:

Ric
05-15-2008, 07:55 AM

Ric,

Sprayboy

I am past the age of being Young, Dumb and full of Cum. I pretty much drive the speed limit these days. But in my day I have gone about the "L" in Hardly.

Hogjaw
05-15-2008, 10:37 AM
Re-read original post slowly.....nothing said about "helmet is required".

Called out............don't think so, the key to the post is "consider".

Have been hit by many limbs that I didn't see. Some people trim limbs pointing straight down to the ground and they can be hidden in other branches until you hit them, and I have.

Recently fertilized 450 crype myrtles 10 to 15 yiears old. They are planted on both sides and I went down the middle of them, yes I got hit in the head by a couple limbs I didn't see because of the bill of my cap.

Joke, not hardly.......common sense, yes for some, no for others.

Green Industry.........safety should be number 1 on our list.

Is it strange, some people feed on writing degrading remarks. We need to (1) read whats written, (2) comprehend, (3) then respond if it's worthwhile.

Again, the word is CONSIDER.

I have CONSIDERED wearing head protection working lawns with low branches, but I would sure NOT BE EMBARRASED to do so.

You see, it's for MY protection. I have a family and 4 grandsons that I would like to spend a lot of quality time with.

I'll let you post it in the 'embarassed thread' since YOU think it's such a great idea.

Its funny how when people get called out, all of a sudden they were "Joking"

A few threads down there is a thread called "embarassed", If I were you I would read it, and then post my experience about asking if a helmet is required with a ride on spreader on a public forum.:usflag:

Real Green
05-15-2008, 10:53 AM
Ok, give it up already. Can we end this now?

Ric
05-15-2008, 04:56 PM
Hogjaw

I went to a BMP CEU class today for the much needed CEUs. One of the points made was about wearing more PPE than the label requires is not illegal. Have at it and don't forget the Elbow Pads, Knee Pads, Chest Protector and Neck Brace. We wouldn't want to see you get hurt riding that dangerous machine.

LushGreenLawn
05-15-2008, 09:34 PM
Wow,

I thought my little american flag guy would make you realize that I was having a little fun. Didn't mean to offend so much...