PDA

View Full Version : Stolen equipment has it happened to you?

Bennett scape
05-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Hi all I was wondering if your equipment has been stolen before or not? I personally have not have my equipment stolen but some places i use to work have had there's stolen. One time a guy broke into are storage area and took everything in there including chain saws, trimmers, mowers, blowers, tools and hedge trimmers. it totally sucked and the company had to buy all new stuff and spent lots of money just so we could continue our work. :cry:

Bennett scape
05-14-2008, 02:49 PM
no one has had it happen?

yardtamer
05-14-2008, 03:00 PM
It happened to me last year!! I was mowing on a roadside and had parked my truck and trailer at the corner .When I go to get in the cage to get my weedeater ...guess what ??? My weedeaters and my stick edger were gone!! My truck was right across from a fire station and right in front of a house!! Somebody had balls!! If I find out who took my stuff, they won't have them any more !! Anyway its a shame that lazy people steal from us working people!! They will get what is coming to them, Karma is a *****!!

scchamblee
05-14-2008, 03:11 PM
Brand new Huscky chain saw stolen out of my truck last year.

Bennett scape
05-14-2008, 03:23 PM
that sucks

ProStreetCamaro
05-14-2008, 03:43 PM
We had an echp PB-400 that blew up after years and years of hard use so my father decided to see just how long it could sit in front of our garage before somebody took it.

Next morning it was gone!

We had a backpack stolen off our trailer in a neighborhood that we cut 8 lawns in.

corey4671
05-14-2008, 03:53 PM
there's a thread on here somewhere about a guy catching a bum trying to steal something off his trailer while it was parked in a lowe's or home depot parking lot. He came out of the store, caught the guy, beat the crap out of him and the whole thing was caught on the store security cam if I remember right.

TomberLawn
05-14-2008, 04:07 PM
We had an echp PB-400 that blew up after years and years of hard use so my father decided to see just how long it could sit in front of our garage before somebody took it.

Next morning it was gone!

We had a backpack stolen off our trailer in a neighborhood that we cut 8 lawns in.

Maybe I ought to try that with our Husqvarna chainsaw. I know they have a great reputation, but ours is junk. Leaks bar oil all over the case, cuts slower than a beaver (right after the chain was sharpened), and won't crank after using it for a little while. I bought an Echo CS-370 last week, filled it up with oil and left it in the case a couple of days, and there's no oil in the case. Cuts like a sawmill and cranks on 2-3 pulls.

I have bicycle locks in my toolbox that I use to lock everything up if I'm going to be away from the truck/trailer.

JT1304
05-14-2008, 06:03 PM
[QUOTe
I have bicycle locks in my toolbox that I use to lock everything up if I'm going to be away from the truck/trailer.[/QUOTE]

Locks are for honest people. I had my shop broken into. stole everything they could carry. Weed eaters, edgers. blowers and assorted hand tools. I had a blower stolen from the LOCKED rack on the trailer once. I couldn't have been more than 15 feet away when it happened. Just working away and didn't turn in time to catch to lazy bum stealing it. Ballsy, thats all I'll say

JohnnyRoyale
05-14-2008, 06:17 PM
I once had a couple of guys come by a house I was cutting trying to sell me back my blower they stole from me the week prior. When they saw my face go red, they darted (tumbled) down a ravine I wouldnt have scaled down with a tether-realizing they took it from me. Pricks were lucky I wasn't in the mood to chase after them. A buddy of mine had oneo f his trucks and trailers stolen right out of his yard-they drove the truck right through the gates. In every instance, the cops would find the truck and trailer a few days later on a a side road. They stole and he bought 8 new kubota ZTR's that year. My yard is fully fenced and it occupies 2 german sheppards. If they really want something, they gotta get through them first. Heres a pic of my last two sheppards at my old yard. These guys are in puppy heaven now-I miss them alot.

Bennett scape
05-14-2008, 08:37 PM
I like the beware of dog sign and the Alsatians. a good deterrent if you ask me. beautiful dogs as well.

HBLandscaping
05-14-2008, 10:24 PM
I've been hit twice over the last 8 yrs, Both times I've had my trimmer and backpack blower taken and one of the times my chainsaw went also. Both times the stuff was recovered the next day at a local pawn shop by the PD. The detectives go every few days around here to the pawn shop and have a recovery rate of 83%. Everything was checked out by my local dealer after I got them back with nothing but the engine cage on the blower broken.

JohnnyRoyale
05-14-2008, 10:26 PM
I like the beware of dog sign and the Alsatians. a good deterrent if you ask me. beautiful dogs as well.

Alsatians?

jpp
05-14-2008, 11:16 PM
Well, this is from this year: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=227646

5 years ago I had three other trimmers and 2 backpack blowers stolen.

F3Nelson
05-14-2008, 11:48 PM
I had 3 WB mowers and a trailer so new it wasnt even insured all stolen............

and the guy that took the stuff to his house didnt call me untill 10 am!

Oh yeah, employees suck

Wonder why I am solo?

TomberLawn
05-14-2008, 11:57 PM
A detective that goes to my church said that a thief will steal anything, no matter how good it's locked up, but he doesn't want to take so much time that he gets caught. My locks are mainly a deterrent to make scum look elsewhere. Thieves just really upset me. They are about as worthless as a person can get, especially if they hurt somebody in the process of taking what doesn't belong to them. Our society has gotten so soft on crime that crooks don't even care. Charlotte is pretty close to me and they are having a lot of crime problems and citizens are demanding more police on the streets, but the police are doing their jobs. They keep catching the same crooks over and over again because the courts let them back out on the streets.

ACA L&L
05-15-2008, 03:09 AM
we had all of our stuff stolen from a warehouse/storage facility last year.

5 stihl trimmers with all the attachments for each one. (hedger, saw,weed eater)
2 bluebird aerators
1 powerake buebird
2 chaainsaws stihl
5 toro 21 " prolines
fert/roundup/pre emergent/speedzone
4 stihl blowers
all my tools.

they left the crow bar used to peel door back.
2 employees didnt show that day. cops filed report with serial numbers never heard back.
I immedietly tarcked the two employees down dog the bounty hunter style. didnt find one piece of equipment.

I had my trailer at house with my walker and two prolines and a new blower and weed eater. I worked late and instaed of taking it back i just went straight home. The other trailers were left untouched but empty at shop.as well as the trucks.

at least 10gs...........and still no sign of anything. I have since replaced everything for the most part scaled the operation down, oh yeah the insurance company cut me a check for 3gs. not even close to what was taken.

lifetree
05-15-2008, 04:43 AM
I've been hit twice ... both times they backed up a truck to my house and took stuff !! They second time they had maximum kahuna's, they cut trhough 2 steel chains and stole my lawn tractor ... that means they had to have backed up not only a truck, but a trailer, to haul it off !!

ken gustafson
05-15-2008, 10:49 AM
Yes....it has happened to me. I am doing everything that I can to slow it down. Personally I have stopped the theft of my own stuff. And now I am trying to help others. No sound system is big enough to get the attention needed. 10 BILLION in trailers stolen in 2004....15 BILLION in 2006....just in the USA. The attention is ONLY worth while when it is your stuff and it is gone. Law enforcement is way to busy with important events to actually work on anything like missing trailers and equipment....AND insurance companies.... it is even easier to just raise rates than to entertain...ANY....other options.
www.trailerlocksonline.com and still working on other locks. Ken

sfddelta1
05-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Well,

We opened a office in Hot Springs AR this year and I am running this end of it and my dad is running our Mississippi office now.

He hired a young man to run one of our crews that was doing well and came with a great recomondation from one of our subs.

After working for us for about 3 weeks he worked on a saturday while my dad was out of town. He dropped of his help and left with a

1995 Ford F350 Crew Cab long wheelbase and a 16' trailer with 2' expanded metal sides. 2 Honda comercial push mowers, and misc string trimmers and blowers.

Nothing has been located as of yet

Ford2000
05-16-2008, 06:41 AM
Friend of mine got hit last week.Hooked up to his trailer and took everything.
Very busy street and in the middle of the afternoon.

jpp
05-16-2008, 10:02 PM
Friend of mine got hit last week.Hooked up to his trailer and took everything.
Very busy street and in the middle of the afternoon.

Was it not attached to his truck? Was he out working?

Bennett scape
05-16-2008, 10:41 PM
Alsatians are just another name for German Shepherd's it is what they are called in Europe. :)

topsites
05-17-2008, 01:36 AM
Yes, it has.

Here's what has changed:
1. Both sides of the gate to my trailer stay padlocked.
2. When I park for the night I back my trailer against a tree (harder to steal).
3. I lock my 2-cyclers with chain and padlock, both at home and in the field, the toolbox too.
4. Locking gas cap, locked truck box.
5. Two real security cameras with a monitor, plus a fake one (at home).
6. A motion detector light turned to MAX sensitivity.
7. I almost NEVER park at HD / Lowe's with the truck unless I HAVE to!
Not anymore anyhow, I'd rather take the car.

8. I ALWAYS pull the keys out of the ignition, stick them in my pocket.
9. I travel light, only the equipment I need for the day comes with me.
10. Where the equipment is stored, locked door.
11. Any equipment stored outside due to size, chain and padlock.
12. The tongue to my trailer is padlocked onto the ball, then the receiver has a locking hitch pin.
13. As I work I throw an eye at my truck at regular if random intervals.

Now that don't guarantee it...
If someone wants it bad enough they will take it, nothing I can do about that.
But it seems to help.

Ford2000
05-17-2008, 05:49 AM
Was it not attached to his truck? Was he out working?

The trailer was parked in his drive not attached.It was parked between his boat and the front door to his house.

jpp
05-17-2008, 10:24 AM
The trailer was parked in his drive not attached.It was parked between his boat and the front door to his house.

Now that does take some guts to do that.

JP

CALandscapes
05-17-2008, 07:16 PM
10 BILLION in trailers stolen in 2004....15 BILLION in 2006....just in the USA.

I seriously doubt that there's even close to 10-15 billion trailers in the US to have stolen.

Ford2000
05-17-2008, 08:23 PM
HERE WE GO :nono::nono:This will take about four or five.

ken gustafson
05-17-2008, 08:40 PM
Yes...I can understand why such a large figure is hard to believe. But all you have to do is check it out...FBI statistics say 10 to 30 BILLION... trucking industry says 5 to 15 Billion and a bunch of that theft is not reported. Horse industry says a few billion but not exactly and the boat industry says a bunch and the construction industry says billions and the farming industry says much theft...AND no one breaks it down...how much is trailers only and How much is equipment and how much is freight but does it really matter when it is all gone. It could be 10 BILLION in trailers and 30 BILLION in freight and equipment. There is much said about theft..30 million in Dade County, Florida alone so what is a big number when no one does anything about it until...it is yours and it is gone. They took mine and now it is going to really take an effort far beyond bolt cutters and crow bars and common stuff plus the one thing that makes everyone of the thieves really nervous...time. So come on check it out...how much is stolen each year...all I read is MANY BILLIONS....Ken

ken gustafson
05-17-2008, 09:31 PM
All of the figures...I quoted were in U.S. dollars not in actual trailer numbers. The FBI figure is 10 to 30 Billion U.S. dollars..whatever number they are using is in U.S. money...just the same that's 30,000 million dollars and I know that it is a guess. I have tried talking with a trucking outfit and they said that they do not report all theft to insurance companies. Anyway I believe it is a big number but have no way of breaking it down. Ken

TomberLawn
05-17-2008, 11:46 PM
I figured that had to be $ value of stolen items, considering there are probably not more trailers than people on the planet.

ein999
05-18-2008, 12:21 AM
i got robbed on and still do on a daily basis. i could go on but ill stop Right there.

Grasshog
05-30-2008, 09:59 PM
It happens to everyone sooner or later.. I recalled once a buddy of mine was at a red light.. A couple of punks pulled up beside him in the turn lane.. When the turn light went green. One of those punk bstrd jump out of their truck grab two back pack blowers off the trailer and raced off. Now my bubby couldnt give chase them down cause he's loaded down with his euipment plus in the straight lane.

Dunn's
06-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Hell here in st. Louis they have had two giant Komatsu machines stolen from the major highway renovation going on highway 40. the whole highway is just down for a few miles for the next two years. They stole these couple hundred thousand dollar, 40 ton plus machines in broad daylight. Just pulled up with a big truck and flatbed trailer and where wearing hard hats and drove off.

4ngoods
06-07-2008, 11:15 PM
One more on the list I was the victim today as I start my day secound house in the morning I went around the house and when I came back to my trailer to put my zt in it I notice to my left that something was missing My 7001 red max blower :cry: I hope the person that took it get's suck in the blower and died :cool2: lol basters so I went and got a new blower 30 mins later I got a maruyama so far I'm happy with it :drinkup:

GreenWay Grounds Co.
06-13-2008, 10:33 PM
Yep, it happened within 20 mins. I was in Home depot for only 20 mins and my echo chain saw, echo hedge trimmers, and Stihl BR 550 GONE. Astards.

The cops said .... they sit and wait for contractors to pull up and walk in ... I asked ... then why don't you sit and wait for them? no answer... go figure

Dunn's
06-14-2008, 10:38 AM
because they have other crimes to worry about besides the guys that are pretty much giving their stuff away to the crooks.

ccondie
06-15-2008, 01:45 AM
I had a brand new Stihl Handheld blower stolen last year when i was no more then 50 ft away from my truck. after i thought about it there was another lawn co down the street when i showed up. i would be it was them. worst thing was that the lady i did the work for still has not paid me to this day. double whammy!