PDA

View Full Version : 5hp B&S cant find carb drain

turfinator
12-16-2001, 09:11 PM
Hi,
I usually put stabil in all my motors after the season. I discovered that in this one particular motor I still had a quarter tank of gas in it. The Briggs engine is used on a power rake (not an IC Motor) I noticed that the carb sits practically right on top of the gas tank on this model. My question is....is there an easy way to drain the carb and the tank on this model. I know this is probably one of those "its right in front of ya" questions, but I looked
Thanks

justractors
12-16-2001, 09:50 PM
The 5 hp B&S engines like you have do not have fuel drains.
If you want to drain it you have two choices, either siphon it out or turn it upside down and drain it that way.
It's up to you but on all of the Golf Course engines all I do is fill it to about an inch from the top, add the correct amount of Stabil, and run the engine for about five minutes to get the mixed fuel throughout the system.
Bill

turfinator
12-16-2001, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the reply. I usually do the same thing. This time I some how missed a piece of equipment. The outside temps here are below freezing (COLD!!) and I dont think that even if I siphoned the gasp out I would be able to start it to run the carb dry. The gas thats in there has been in for a while already so I dont think I could just add a tank with stabil. Also because of difficulty starting in these temps I dont think I could run it properly through the system. Any suggestions?
Thanks

vipermanz
12-17-2001, 02:17 AM
i've used a shopvac with a reducer nozzle and a 3/8 tube

justractors
12-17-2001, 07:09 AM
Add the Stabil, shake the machine to mix it well. and hope for the best.
Most of the evaporation in this type of fuel system occurs in the tank at thr ends of the two pickup tubes.
If you want to remove the Gasoline use a siphon hose preferably the type with a manually operated pump so you do not have to aspirate the fumes.
Another option would be to move it into a heated shop and then servicing the fuel system.
BTW using a shopvac around gasoline could lead to a very dangerous explosion. Most shop vacs I have seen suck the liquids (and vapors) into the same chamber where the electric motor with the brushes and a bunch of sparks reside.
Work smart-work safe.
Bill

heybruck34
12-17-2001, 09:13 AM
I've rebuilt many of those 5 hp Briggs carbs. They're really easy to take off and you could drain it that way. If I remember correctly, there are only two bolts holding the whole carb/gas tank assembly on. One is in front of the air cleaner mount and the other is back by the throttle lever. Again- this is from memory so I may be off a little. Hope that helps....

vipermanz
12-17-2001, 03:25 PM
i made a bypass container for the gas to go in , it was dangerous never the less:blush:

khouse
12-18-2001, 09:11 AM
Don't siphon the gas out and run the carb dry. There is a neaprene (can't spell it) diaphram in the carb that will shrink when dry. Then you'll have to replace it. Fill it with fuel and add your stabilizer and run it a couple of minutes as described above. This would be a good time to change the oil if you want.

turfinator
12-21-2001, 04:35 AM
Thanks for the all the suggestions.

JerryP54481
12-23-2001, 11:52 PM
I suggest that you stabilize the fuel and then run the engine for 10 or 15 minutes to draw the stabilized fuel though the fuel system.