PDA

View Full Version : 1 or 2 whel sulky's

luv of green
12-17-2001, 12:01 AM
i was just wondering which more people are using right now i have all jungle wheels, but new mower thinking of trying something different.any coomments

Runner
12-17-2001, 12:35 AM
One wheel or two. It depends on what you want, I guess. Wobbles, more drag, and a third wheel track going down the middle of your rows, or stability and greater comfort, ease of pulling without sinking, and a nice clean row. There are the options. Just my opinion, of course.;)

LAWNGODFATHER
12-17-2001, 07:11 AM
I use 2 wheeled velke. Doesn't leave the third line down the middle.

Also much more stable on hills and soft ground.

Grassman
12-17-2001, 12:14 PM
I agree with the rest. We used to use 1whl Velkies but switched to the 2whl Haveners. Much more comfortable too. Russ

lawrence stone
12-17-2001, 12:55 PM
My sulkies are as old as dirt. They were made in 1994 and where the prototype of the turf specialty hydro sold today. One of them is a chain drive model for help in laying down a pattern.

As you can see in the picture the construction and design are superior to anything made today. I cut the rear corners off and have bigger castor wheels (better ride and easier turning) installed.

What I do if I get tired standing doing athletic fields or industrial sites is to park my butt on top of the left then right fender for a period of time to rest the legs a bit.

They also fold right up against the handlebar to save floor space.

SCAPEASAURUSREX
12-17-2001, 05:21 PM
No Sulkies here,, We only use PRO SLIDE... Much safer and easier to operate and use... Great striping too...

Visit.. www.novae.com

mdb landscaping
12-17-2001, 05:34 PM
wrong link chris. i think this is what you want:

www.novaecorp.com

SCAPEASAURUSREX
12-17-2001, 05:48 PM
Thanks Matt, I was close.. LOL

AltaLawnCare
12-17-2001, 06:04 PM
You'll want to go with a two wheeled deal...

If you want a single wheel sulke, I got one I'll sell ya! ;)

luv of green
12-17-2001, 08:47 PM
thank you the proslide is going to be my next sulky,that sucks my dealer doesnt sell the proslide he will see that i have been somewhere else

No Sweat L/C
12-17-2001, 10:11 PM
I have to vote for two wheel sulkys. I've had mine since 1993 my first year. I traded a 21" Snapper Mower for it. It has a 1 7/8" trailer coupler on it so it is very easy to attach and remove. It also has a highback seat. If I"m going to ride, I'm going to sit and be lazy. both of my mowers have a ball on them so the sulky works on either mower.
I found the Snapper in someones trash by the street, only needed the carb cleaned !!

David Gretzmier
12-18-2001, 01:21 AM
I'm a one wheel velke man. got an original velke that is 8 years old and still going. welded twice, new tires , still rolling. Dave g

eslawns
12-18-2001, 12:52 PM
I don't recommend a 1 wheel to any person over 180 lbs. I've been using a 2 wheel Velke for 2 years. Before that, 1 wheel Velkes since 1995. IMO, the 2W is far above the others.

scott's turf
12-18-2001, 03:24 PM
if you step off a proslide (to go up a steep hill) does it raise up?

LAWNGODFATHER
12-18-2001, 06:46 PM
Yes and when you back up also. Any time you step off one it will raise up.

Runner
12-18-2001, 07:10 PM
That has to be a rough ride, though. It seems like you would take the shock of every little bump and lump in the ground. There is no way that this thing would pull with less resistance than two free rolling tires that spin freely.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-19-2001, 01:16 AM
http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23047

Might want to check this thread out also.

TJLC
12-19-2001, 09:10 AM
I've never tried a one wheel velkie so I can't give an opnion there.I have however owned and used the Bullrider from Trimmertrap. It's a very heavy duty, well handling velkie. The only reason I don't use it anymore is I recently purchased an Exmark sitdown sulky. I now prefer it over standing. It steers as you steer, so it's very easy to handle. It's a little pricey, IMO, but to me it's been well worth it. I would highly reccomend it over any velkie. This is just my opnion from personal use.

jnjnlc
12-20-2001, 12:38 AM
I have a single wheel velke. I wish I had spent the extra money for the two. The single wheel leaves a third wheel mark down the middle of the stripe. I have looked at mine and I think I can modify it to use two wheels.

Also, I tested out the proslide at the expo in Kentucky last summer. I was impressed. It was on the Husquavarna wb. Worked great. I stepped off and it folded up. Stepped on it and it came right down. I did not have too much rough ground to test on though. I would think that with that much surface on the ground that it would slide easily over bumps and small moguls.

Atlantic Lawn
12-21-2001, 10:25 AM
The only time we still use our one wheel is cuttin' shoulders in developments.I just can't get rid of it.Two wheels are the way to go if you're still standin'.

thfireman
03-01-2002, 01:57 PM
I have had single wheel velke's for 11 years now. All I ever had to do was replace the tires and the bushings about every other year. I weigh 240 lbs and never had any problem and one of them was on a 36" gear drive for 6 years!

However!!! I am thinking seriously about gettin a 2 wheeler for my Scag 52". I think it would run out smoother and Im getting older and my back aches a lot now. I also priced one today for $249.00 and the single wheel type is $229.00, and for $20.00 you would be a fool to get the single wheel. Besides as was mentioned earlier the single wheel leaves an extra tire mark in your stripping pattern.

My vote is now for the 2 wheelers.

Roger