PDA

View Full Version : Roller type pump vs. diaphram type on skid sprayer

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
05-14-2008, 11:46 AM
Looking at a twin tank 50/50 skid sprayer for Perimeter Pest Control & tree/shrub. It comes w/ roller pump, any downsides to that?

yardprospraying
05-14-2008, 12:20 PM
Looking at a twin tank 50/50 skid sprayer for Perimeter Pest Control & tree/shrub. It comes w/ roller pump, any downsides to that?

It would probably work fine for the perimeter pest apps, but if you are doing any tree work, you might consider a diaphram or piston pump. Depending on which roller pump you're looking at, check the gpm and psi ratings. Most roller pumps are no rated very high in pressure or volume. I've seen some rated at only 150 psi. If you are spraying tall trees, you might want more pressure/volume. If they are just ornamentals and shrubs, the roller pump would probably work fine.

Also some of the roller pumps might not last as long if you are spraying WP's (wettable powders) such as fungicides.

John.

LIBERTYLANDSCAPING
05-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Thanks for the reply. I don't spray any trres larger than 12'-15'. I wondered if the wp would be a problem with rollers. I know diaphram types can pass larger particles without problems. Sprayer seemed like a good deal, but looks like the diaphram pumps are 5x cost of a roller, and thats probably why it's less:)

teeca
05-14-2008, 05:01 PM
the diaphram pump cost more at first, but the maintance is nothing, $30 a year for diphrams and a couple 1qt oil changes with 30sae oil and you good for a great many years. (i run may D50 hypro w/ a 8hp honda 8hrs a day 5-6days per week all season long, have so for the last 6 years. the honda starts on the 2'nd pull, smokes for 3-5min (like an old chevy p/u) then clears up and good to go. the pump has had diaphrams replaced yearly (just for maintance) and i put a set of valves in the pump when it was about 3 years old cost about $60) with the diaphram pumps you get great pressure 5-560psi, and 14gpm flow (D50). i had a roller pump and the rollers were easy and cheap to replace, but i like to fix it and forget-it (meaning maintance in the winter and not in the summer) the rollers will give you more volume (flow) but not the pressure (i think there's one that can give 150psi, but in the manual it says do not opperate for extened times at high pressure. also the diaphram pump can be run dry without damage, the roller pump will burn up if it is run dry (meaning you supply tank is empty).