PDA

View Full Version : Grassy Weed ID

mrkosar
05-14-2008, 12:39 PM
What is it? Will Drive get rid of it?

RAlmaroad
05-14-2008, 02:43 PM
On first glance it could be Johnsongrass--hard to see root and collar blade. Or maybe Dallisigrass, but Ohio may be too far north for it, then it could be something like Orchardgrass or just tall fescue. Need to see the seed pods and roots to be sure. Check the label for these four (4) and see.
Roy

americanlawn
05-14-2008, 07:02 PM
Orchard grass.

RigglePLC
05-14-2008, 08:42 PM
Could by timothy. Timothy looks like quackgrass, but has a tall ligule and no rhizomes.

rcreech
05-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Too early for Johnson Grass to be that size....

Looking at the clasping auricles, and the "clumpy" look....if it has a rhizome root structure it is probably Quack!

lawnguy26
05-14-2008, 09:21 PM
Orchard grass.

Ditto!! !

GREEN-UP
05-14-2008, 09:29 PM
if your area was once a corn field, in past 5 yrs, might be associated w the johnson weed. Although, looks like quack to me.

rider
05-14-2008, 10:57 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Weeds-Northeast-Comstock-Books-Richard/dp/0801483344/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1210820153&sr=1-1

Victor
05-15-2008, 12:18 AM
I'm not seeing any clasping auricles there guys. It can't be Quack since it doesn't have them. I'm with Larry. I'm going vote for orchard grass. If it was Johnson grass, it would have that trademark white stripe running down the blades.

rcreech
05-15-2008, 06:27 AM
I'm not seeing any clasping auricles there guys. It can't be Quack since it doesn't have them. I'm with Larry. I'm going vote for orchard grass. If it was Johnson grass, it would have that trademark white stripe running down the blades.

Look closely Victor....I think they are there. You can see them really well on the second stem on your right! With the "blur" in the pic it is hard to see....but I think they are definilty there. Good point on the prominant midrid on the J Grass!

DiyDave
05-15-2008, 06:45 AM
Orchard grass is lighter in color, and the stems are folded flat. It might be fescue, but I would have to see it peeled at the root area, peel it like an onion, and look to see if there is a purplish stain there, if so, its fescue.:waving:

mrkosar
05-15-2008, 07:30 AM

there are clasping auricles. it was in a clump though. does quackgrass grow in clumps? i didn't see any rhizomes like quackgrass has that is what threw me off.

TLS
05-15-2008, 07:42 AM
Regardless of exactly WHAT it is.....I'm guessing the next question is how to control it?

rcreech
05-15-2008, 07:09 PM
there are clasping auricles. it was in a clump though. does quackgrass grow in clumps? i didn't see any rhizomes like quackgrass has that is what threw me off.

Quack does grow in clumps. We may not see any rhizomes...but there are also very little roots showing.

Whitey4
05-15-2008, 08:26 PM
I also find many of these broadleafed grassy weeds often hard to identify. Dallas, quack, goose? let me ask this question, as it is my inpression that most of my customers with grassy weed problems seem to have all three of these... along with some annual rye and others.

What do you folks recommend as a good (maybe tank mix) general purpose grassy weed killer? (I know a shovel and seed is likely the most efficient means, but let's not go there)

In another thread, I mentioned inquiring to the manufactuurer (Bayer) what I might use in a mix with Acclaim, and they say they frankly, in so many words, don't recommend mixing. They did have data for one mix, Fusilade.

In NY, the paperwork trail for legal apps is a killer.... that is why I want to keep whatever my app arsenal bag of tools might need to be at a minimum. I'd like to use the same mixes for broadleafs, grassy weeds, and whatever for both inventory management and paperwork trail reasons.

rcreech
05-15-2008, 10:41 PM
I also find many of these broadleafed grassy weeds often hard to identify. Dallas, quack, goose? let me ask this question, as it is my inpression that most of my customers with grassy weed problems seem to have all three of these... along with some annual rye and others.

What do you folks recommend as a good (maybe tank mix) general purpose grassy weed killer? (I know a shovel and seed is likely the most efficient means, but let's not go there)

In another thread, I mentioned inquiring to the manufactuurer (Bayer) what I might use in a mix with Acclaim, and they say they frankly, in so many words, don't recommend mixing. They did have data for one mix, Fusilade.

In NY, the paperwork trail for legal apps is a killer.... that is why I want to keep whatever my app arsenal bag of tools might need to be at a minimum. I'd like to use the same mixes for broadleafs, grassy weeds, and whatever for both inventory management and paperwork trail reasons.

Whitey,

Grassy weed ID is actually pretty simple

Before you try and ID grassy weeds, you just need to know the parts of the plant that are key for IDing grasses.

Ligule
Auricles
Leaf Sheath
Root System
etc.

There is a great chart in every weed ID book that allows you do look at the parts of the plant and it will tell you which weed it is!

Let me know if you need any info on this.

Whitey4
05-15-2008, 11:34 PM
Rodney, is "Weeds of the Northeast" a good reference for grassy weeds? Not being in the NE, you may or may not know the answer..... but it's pretty cheap, like under $30 with shipping. The other book I have my eye on is the Ortho ... forget the exact title.... it's a HUGE book on all sorts of diseases, and runs $200. I think it's like 450 pages, full of pics.

I'm off to a good start me thinks, but man, so much more to learn..... it's easy to see a grassy weed, but without great close up pics and stuff.... very hard to ident. I want the magic bullet.... one tank mix for all grassy weeds... and it likely does not exist.

mngrassguy
05-16-2008, 04:26 AM
Any who, the op asked if Drive would kill it. IMO, no.

rcreech
05-16-2008, 08:46 PM
Rodney, is "Weeds of the Northeast" a good reference for grassy weeds? Not being in the NE, you may or may not know the answer..... but it's pretty cheap, like under $30 with shipping. The other book I have my eye on is the Ortho ... forget the exact title.... it's a HUGE book on all sorts of diseases, and runs $200. I think it's like 450 pages, full of pics.

I'm off to a good start me thinks, but man, so much more to learn..... it's easy to see a grassy weed, but without great close up pics and stuff.... very hard to ident. I want the magic bullet.... one tank mix for all grassy weeds... and it likely does not exist.

Weeds of the NE is an awesome reference for grasses and broadleaves! I would definitly get it for that price! The thing that is nice about that book is that it show you pics of the weeds at different sizes, root systems in some cases, seeds, and the plant when flowering etc. This book at 380 pages of ID and info!

Some books only show you small seedlings....or fully mature plants.

It has a great ID table in the very back for grasses!

You will find it a very good book!

mattfromNY
05-16-2008, 08:53 PM
Weeds of the NE is an awesome reference for grasses and broadleaves! I would definitly get it for that price! The thing that is nice about that book is that it show you pics of the weeds at different sizes, root systems in some cases, seeds, and the plant when flowering etc. This book at 380 pages of ID and info!

Some books only show you small seedlings....or fully mature plants.

It has a great ID table in the very back for grasses!

You will find it a very good book!

X2! I have the book. Another plus is the book is small enough to keep in the door pocket of my truck, and pull it out whenever I get the chance to ID another weed. It has come in very handy.

rcreech
05-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Here are a couple of pages for example so you can see what you would be getting! One page is all info (type of plant, plant family, growing habits etc.) and the other page is pictures.

Great info!

(wi) Roots
05-17-2008, 12:37 AM
What do you want to do with it?
What kind of grass is it growing in?
Is it your own or someone who your taking care of?
Do you have a license?
If so, why don't you know?
If not provide answers.