PDA

View Full Version : Matching copper, brass and other finishes

Alan B
05-14-2008, 02:38 PM
With the many new choices in premium light materials and finishes, I'd like to get your opinions.

-Do you usually have the finish of your path and area lights match your spotlights?

Note: if you are using aluminum it is quite easy to match (all powder coated black for example). However, brass, antique bronze finished brass and cooper make it hard to have all the lights with the same finishes. Whatís your thoughts? Does it matter? I have been matching the pathlights and area lights but not worrying about the spots matching them.

If you use cooper pathlights do you insist on copper spots and floods?

It would be interesting to here what others are doing.

Thanks

NightScenes
05-14-2008, 05:17 PM
Hopefully your spots and floods are pretty well hidden and therefore it shouldn't matter what they look like as far as finish. I tend to mix and match and have never really thought about making them all the same finish.

Alan B
05-14-2008, 05:53 PM
That's exactly how I felt, but the customer is another story. Many seem to want them all to match in the same finish and wanted to see if I was on my own in not seeing the need to match them or if most of you felt like many of my customers (tried to match).

Paul, thanks for the input/reassurance.

dwightschrute
05-14-2008, 06:10 PM
when is your line coming out?

irrig8r
05-14-2008, 06:15 PM
After the beets are harvested Dwight.

Alan B
05-14-2008, 06:44 PM
when is your line coming out?

Great memory Dwight. Post came and disappeared in 10 minutes. Not allowed to talk about it yet. But when its about to, we'll sponsor here and tell you all about it.

Pro-Scapes
05-14-2008, 10:35 PM
I agree with Paul. I dont use much powder coated stuff really but as long as a certain type of fixture matches its fine(example...all pathlights match). I tend to use mostly natural metals anyways. Raw copper or brass... with or without a pre antiqued finish depending on the fixture selected and the location its going in. I dont really care for bright copper paths but a few sprays at the shop and they are dark overnight or I explain to the client they will darken quickly. I also do not like putting raw brass bullets in plain view. Its too noticable.

David Gretzmier
05-15-2008, 12:21 AM
My bullets are brass or bronze, and my paths tend to be bronze, copper or bronze powdercoated aluminum. washers are powdercoated aluminum. all pathe and all bullets and all washers tend to match, but not always each other. when the customer wants it all to match, I'll try, but ultimately I won't use an aluminum bullet.

Lite4
05-15-2008, 01:41 AM
Hey Billy,
I heard of a treatment for weathering copper to some really cool brown tones with some green mixed in. I believe it was done with potassium phosphate, but I am not exactly sure. I will have to ask again to find out for sure, but it was nearly instantanius.

Pro-Scapes
05-15-2008, 07:12 AM
Hey Billy,
I heard of a treatment for weathering copper to some really cool brown tones with some green mixed in. I believe it was done with potassium phosphate, but I am not exactly sure. I will have to ask again to find out for sure, but it was nearly instantanius.

I would like to hear that. Right now I am using a mixture I made in a garden sprayer. I add salt when we want green

JoeyD
05-15-2008, 10:47 AM
http://www.uniquelighting.com/Spec%20Sheets/PatinaTreatment.pdf