PDA

View Full Version : What else does everyone do?

Green Acres
01-19-2000, 07:26 PM
Just curious on some of the other services people provide. It seems most of us just mow or aerate. Trying to see what everyone else does so I know who to ask questions too. Like myself I mostly do mowing but also provide yard clean-ups, drainage problems, light landscaping, and sodding. Hope everyone one is getting ready for spring it will be here sooner than we think.

Cannonturf
01-20-2000, 09:33 AM
The company I currently work for and have for years does the following.<br>Mowing,prunning,tree trimming,chemicial applications,Landscaping,irrigation,seeding and or hydroseeding,retaining walls.sanding,liquid ice melt,snowplowing.<br>We do to many damn things

dylan
01-20-2000, 10:17 AM
I do quite a few things too.<br>Mowing, yard cleanups, tree/hedge trimming,<br>rototilling, dethaching, light landscaping, house/trailer/window washing, snowblowing, repair work and just about any other odd jobs my clients can think of. They like the fact that whatever needs doing I don't mind getting done. For one guy, I even install his lightbulbs. Good job when you can get it! My village is small (Pop 500) so I have to be creative.

geogunn
01-20-2000, 12:22 PM

pogo
01-20-2000, 01:58 PM
Try hanging x-mas lights in dec. i've been doing it for 3 years. Great money maker for Dec. Hey Dylan, what do you mean you live in a village?

dylan
01-21-2000, 07:48 AM
The Population is about 500 people. Even less in the winter. Refered to as &quot;The Village&quot; by locals.

Erika B
01-22-2000, 09:23 AM
Thanks pogo- I was about to ask the question. I was wondering what most of you do during the off season? I know alot are gearing their marketing projects and wrapping up unpaid accounts, but I was going to ask about snow plowing and Christmas decor and things like that. I know there's a Xmas decor booth at alot of the expos - they were at GIE this year. How significant a contribution do these off-season endeavors become for everyone's business, aside from the obvious not having help that is seasonal only and cutting down on turnaround?<br>

Lazer
01-22-2000, 10:34 AM
erika b,<p>We make more net profit from snowplowing than from lawn care/landscaping. We employ about the same number of people and equipment, just plowing has been much more profitable.<p>I know of 4 different people who have sold their lawn business and just plow snow. They do it right and work hard at it, but they have all spring & summer off.

lbmd1
01-23-2000, 10:24 AM
Lazer,<br> How many average snowstorms do you get in a season over there in Michigan? You're right about the profitability in plowing, but relying on it is another matter. Here in New Hampshire, our plowable storms have been greatly reduced to only about 5-8 storms a year! At least with mowing, you can count on about 29 weeks. Let me know.<p>Mike

WorkForce Intl
01-23-2000, 11:02 AM
My company does a variety of things, but perhaps the bulk of of work is related to the INS' H2B program. We work with business that are looking to hire inexpensive, nonimmigrant seasonal labor. We not only get the labor certifications, we actually go to Mexico and through our contacts are able to secure experienced workers. We deal with the American consulate, and deliver the workers to the businesses. It's a year round job, because the process takes from 60 to 90 days to complete.<p>I'd be more than happy to talk about this to anyone who might be interested.<p>Elisama Puente<br>WorkForce International<br>WorkForceIntl@aol.com<br>(713)923-5564<br>(713)923-5517

jeffclc
01-25-2000, 08:46 AM
I try do do whatever my customers ask, as long as I feel confident that I can do it properly. I like bieng diverse. It has many benefits.<p>If the market becomes saturated in one speciality, ie. mowing, I have the other work to fall back on. <p>My sustomers also don't have to try to get someone different to do each thing in their yard. Seems likr they like to only have to deal with one company.<p>So the list goes:<br>Mowing, Trimming Edging, Shrub trimming, Fertlizing, mulching, small tree and stump removal, aerating, de thatching, overseeding, lawn renovations, snow plowing, salting, roto tilling, sod, landscape renovation, and the list goes on and on.<p>The only thing that I really don't dabble much into is hardscaping, sidewalks, retaining walls, ect. I also don't do much excivation work, but most of my customers are established residenses, and don't really need any of these services.

Lazer
01-25-2000, 09:37 AM
lbmd1,<br>We plow 20-22 times per winter average. Last year was light with 13, I think. This winter's been light with 7 so far.<p>Anyway, we have fixed contracts on all our sites, The weather really doesn't affect us finacially. In snow removal 85% of our costs are fixed: Insurance, truck payments, communication, employees draw a fixed base salary, etc. <br>The only additional expense is fuel, some more wear and tear and possibly some overtime. But those additional expenses of plowing are offset by the salting afetr each plow.

Cedar Lawn Care
08-25-2013, 12:27 AM
Standard weekly service: mow, edge, weedeat, blow. We also aerate, spray weeds in lawn, fertilize, clean up leaves, spray weeds around yard, and weed. I talked to another business in town that is happy to take my irrigation requests and bush trimming requests that I get a fair number of. It works out well for us.

banjoman
08-25-2013, 12:45 AM
I do gutter cleaning and leaf removal in the fall, I only offer it from September-November. I have pressure washed some of my customers house's, mostly the ones that are really nice. We also mow a lot of banks, ditch lines, and steep hillsides. Mostly with weedeaters,as you can't get any kind of mower on 90% of them. Most of the LCOs around here don't like to tackle the hardcore weedeating, but I make quite a bit of extra money doing it. We don't get a lot of snow in the winter or I would offer snow removal too.

brycesepp
08-25-2013, 12:39 PM
I do full installs, full service maintence from mowing, pruning, fertilization, leaf clean up and i do concrete work (some decorative) for home owners and a home builder.

orangemower
08-25-2013, 11:00 PM
Standard weekly service: mow, edge, weedeat, blow. We also aerate, spray weeds in lawn, fertilize, clean up leaves, spray weeds around yard, and weed. I talked to another business in town that is happy to take my irrigation requests and bush trimming requests that I get a fair number of. It works out well for us.

You dug that deep to bring up a 13 year old thread to tell members that you do the basic lawn maintenance? If you went back that far, you HAD to run across 500 threads asking the exactly same thing. I'm surprised you didn't resurrect a "newer" thread. :laugh: