PDA

View Full Version : finding laws

tandclawncare
05-15-2008, 11:07 AM
could any one point me to a web site for the regs on what i can and can not put down in nys(upstate). i am not having much luck and i dont want to be breaking the law.

(wi) Roots
05-15-2008, 01:11 PM
What is your intent?
Residential
Commercial
or
Nursury?

tandclawncare
05-16-2008, 12:08 AM
Residential and Commercial
i have people asking me to lime and fert and im not sure of the rules in ny .i have looked at the state dec web site but cant seem to find a yes or no to what i can and cant apply.there is no one other than true green around so i havent fond anyone to ask that might know. i know weed killer is off limits.

Whitey4
05-16-2008, 12:25 AM
Residential and Commercial
i have people asking me to lime and fert and im not sure of the rules in ny .i have looked at the state dec web site but cant seem to find a yes or no to what i can and cant apply.there is no one other than true green around so i havent fond anyone to ask that might know. i know weed killer is off limits.

You can do lime and ferts legally. Any pesticide, including herbicides are off limits unless you get certified by the DEC, which I would suggest you do. No RoundUp, no crabgrass prevention, no dandelion spraying, no grub or other insectidicides.

if this is a full time biz, and you want to make a go of it, get certified. It's a 30 hour course, and maybe 60 more hours of study to be sure will pass the state test. There are more profits in apps, and you can offer something tru-green can't.... a weekly visit to scout the property. If you don't know what that means, you will once you get certified. It is a MAJOR selling point over Tru-Green.

This is my fist year as a cert'd pesticide tech, and my profit margin on labor went up 300% (and that includes deducting material costs). Need any more encouragement?

Want to seperate yourself even more from Tru-Green? get a GOOD pH meter.... and do the soil test right in front of the customer. If it's 6.5 to 7.0, "Mr Customer, we don't need lime... and I just saved you $XXX." Always say "we".

The $$$ is in apps..... mowing alone is for sweathogs. (Yes, I do the mowing thing too).

Saltydawg
05-16-2008, 12:27 AM
http://www.dec.ny.gov/permits/209.html

tandclawncare
05-16-2008, 12:39 AM
thanks for the help .ill do some more looking in to things as far as the costs. im stuck in a very small town so im not sure how much demand i will have.it has been my thinking if i can sell it it will really help up my $$$$$ incoming.
agin thanks for all the help ,its guys like you that make this such a great site .

Whitey4
05-16-2008, 01:00 AM
thanks for the help .ill do some more looking in to things as far as the costs. im stuck in a very small town so im not sure how much demand i will have.it has been my thinking if i can sell it it will really help up my $$$$$ incoming.
agin thanks for all the help ,its guys like you that make this such a great site .

If Tru-Green is there, that means that the market is there too. Join your local LCO assocociation... figure 100-150. They will likely offer the pesticide courses you would need, and figure $300 for the 30 hour course. (mine knocked $50 off because I joined as a new member, so the total to join and take the course was $400) Then the state test fee... $50, and the state fee for the ID card... $100. The kicker is the stinkin state fee to become a registered pesticide biz.... that's $450, but at least it's good for 3 years.

You will find a LOT of people unhappy with Tru-Green. With the profit margin on apps, you can afford to travel to surounding towns for apps.... it's not like mowing, you don't go there every week. It takes little time compared to mowing, even if you are only using a backpack sprayer.

Whatever your mowing charges are for a property, triple it for an average ordinary pesticide app. Good rule of thumb, although on real lagre properties it doesn't hold up. It will take you less than half the time of a mow, even with backpacks, (or a broadcast spreader). Do the math. The materials (most) aren't real expensive.

One word of caution.... the paperwork in this state for being certified is ridiculous. Customer contracts, record keeping, it's a pain in the butt, but still worth the profits. My advice.... do it, or at least look into it. Best of luck!