PDA

View Full Version : New water source... why isn't my herbicide working?

hobbsd
05-15-2008, 08:25 PM
I just moved shops and am having some issues with weed control. The amount of control is really limited!!

Could my water be the problem? Is PH a problem??? it seems that we are dumping tons of herbicide on with minimal results.. Not sure why, but i've never had this problem before.

Thanks for the help.

PSUTURFGEEK
05-15-2008, 09:12 PM
If your'e Ph is off it's just like spraying water, the chemical binds to the minerals and clay in the hard water and affects the control, The strips I use are really accurate, basically it's green is awesome and dark orange is really bad, you want it to be atleast between green and yellow for good control.
This happens so much more than people realize, usually when guys are filling on the road.

RigglePLC
05-15-2008, 10:51 PM
What kind of weeds? And what are you using for weeds? At what rate? And is the weather too cool for good response? We are seeing veronica--very tough. Violets--very tough. Henbit--too mature. Take a water sample in to your local Culligan man or bottled water dealer. They'll find out in a minute. Jest be prepared for the sales pitch.

mngrassguy
05-16-2008, 05:29 AM
Get the test strips at any pool/hot tub supply store.

TLS
05-16-2008, 01:16 PM
How would you adjust pH in tank fill water? Is there an additive?

grassguy_
05-16-2008, 06:24 PM
most pool supply places will have Muratic Acid to adjust water Ph. Warning: only a small amount of acid will change the Ph considerably, so if you do adjust do so in very small amounts and check regularly.

(wi) Roots
05-17-2008, 01:59 AM
I.D. should be your first step.
Season in which the thrive would be your next.
Choosing your herbicide according too your findings.
and
Apply at the recommended rate on label.
Follow all law that goven your State when applying any herbicide and when in dought, hire a pro!

humble1
05-19-2008, 12:31 AM
so what pH should the water be? I dont see any reccomendation on the jug of SpeedZone Southern

txgrassguy
05-19-2008, 04:27 PM
The worst possible additive for acidifying your spray solution is Muriatic Acid - unless you want to keep replacing seals especially in a chlorinated water source.
Instead use clear vinegar available in the restaurant sized two gallon containers - much less expensive than acid, no where near as corrosive to pump seals, much safer to handle and at about 1.5ounces to 3 ounces per gallon depending upon pH in the host water supply you can use it as a rinse aid in your large measuring cup.

americanlawn
05-19-2008, 09:07 PM
We use city water that has a pH between 8.2 -- 8.7 depending upon the time of year.

(8.0 pH is ten times more alkaline than 7.0. 9.0 pH is 100 times more alkaline).

Acidifiers like LI700 do a nice job -- just follow the label, and you should get better results.

PHS
05-20-2008, 08:25 AM
Since almost none of my labels mention a recommended pH range what would you guys recommend for general herbicide use? The pH of my water source is around 8.

Ric
05-20-2008, 11:44 AM
most pool supply places will have Muratic Acid to adjust water Ph. Warning: only a small amount of acid will change the Ph considerably, so if you do adjust do so in very small amounts and check regularly.

GrassGuy

Phosphoric acid might be a better choice for adjusting pH. It can be purchased from any good Fertilizer supplier and is labelled for adjusting tank pH. Tank water pH should be slightly acidic or about 6 pH to protect the effectiveness of your pesticides. A pH meter like a Hanna for just over $ 100 is a good investment that will pay for itself.

Marcos
05-20-2008, 03:12 PM
The worst possible additive for acidifying your spray solution is Muriatic Acid - unless you want to keep replacing seals especially in a chlorinated water source.
Instead use clear vinegar available in the restaurant sized two gallon containers - much less expensive than acid, no where near as corrosive to pump seals, much safer to handle and at about 1.5ounces to 3 ounces per gallon depending upon pH in the host water supply you can use it as a rinse aid in your large measuring cup.

We had this exact same problem some years ago...back in the late 80's...when I worked for a somewhat rural lawn care company that drew water from a well that had "sweet" alkaline well water, here in limestone-laden southwest Ohio.

Just like txgrassguy stated, we'd just add 7% white vinegar to the water in variable amounts to the volume we were mixing at that time.

I distinctly can remember dumping in 2-3 gallons in the 200 gallon sprayer, definitely before any other chemicals were added.
The guy I worked for at that time was able to find 30 or 55 gal drums of white vinegar from a restaurant food supply / vendor relatively cheap, I'm certain.
(I know he beat up on all his other vendors regularly !)

PHS
05-20-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks Ric, picked up some LI700 today.