PDA

View Full Version : That nightscaping hybrid well thing

David Gretzmier
05-15-2008, 09:03 PM
I was working on a job today, 42 fixtures installed. I agreed to try and repair and rebulb the original nightscaping fixtures he had installed a few moons ago. classic pathlighters, and of course well lights. Instead of the ole-time pars, these are the modified hybrid 2 axis mr-16's. So this fixture can't be much older than 15 years old or so. they still make this item, and I am guessing the same design.

It boggles my mind that I go out of my way to find bullets that are ABOVE ground that have silicone or high heat rubber o-rings at the glass or shroud cover, AND they are sealed where the wire goes into the bottom, preferably with liquid silicone at the factory as opposed to a rubber grommet. I even add silicone at the bottom sometimes.

And the Nightscaping fixture, you know, the name folks associate with quality landscape lighting, folks that have made fixtures for what, 20, 30 YEARS they have...nothing. no orings. the bottom just has 2 dimples and you turn it 1/8" ( 2 of them broke apart that were so corroded) and there is nothing to keep water from coming in. the wires go in the back throough 2 holes and they have no gasket or anything. The covers sort of do, but 3 of the 6 are loose. I found 1 that looked like someone put silicone on the top.

How could it not be important when this fixture was made to make efforts to be water tight? All of them were like this. This thing sets below grade ! snow just sits in it, it is easy to flood this fixture with water during a downpour.

Of course the previous installer did not use any type of water proof connection so it didn't matter, but still, WHY did nightscaping sell it this way?

I believe this fixture runs around 70-90 bucks at my local distributor, so I would gather they sold this for enough dollars to build it right, Why didn't they?

sprinkler guy
05-15-2008, 11:53 PM
Dave,

Which light are you referring to?

Chris J
05-16-2008, 12:20 AM
Dang Sean, didn't you read the post? The Nightscaping fixture! Need we say more?
Ha Ha! :laugh: Just kidding. :dizzy: Couldn't resist.

sprinkler guy
05-16-2008, 12:32 AM
Dang Sean, didn't you read the post? The Nightscaping fixture! Need we say more?
Ha Ha! :laugh: Just kidding. :dizzy: Couldn't resist.

:laugh: That one had me laughing so loud, my 6 year old told me to be quite she couldn't get to sleep. Seriously, some of their fixtures I look at and think, "how can they still make that?" Some of the newer stuff you look at and think, "Is that the same company?" because they look so good. Who knows?:confused:

Lite4
05-16-2008, 01:04 AM
Well, you also need to consider that this industry has changed dramatically in the past 10-15 years. A whole lot more engineering goes into these fixtures nowdays. So it is no surprise you have found them in that condition. I have never installed a nightscaping fixture but I have got to believe they have elevated the quality of their product line since then.

Chris J
05-16-2008, 01:06 AM
I hope you're right Tim because every one that I've encountered is falling apart... I'm not knocking the company, just stating my experience. The same could be said, I'm sure, about every manufacture's equipment.

Lite4
05-16-2008, 01:09 AM
This is true. I am sure there are some fixtures out there that some manus would love to forget about. Achieving the perfect fixture is an evolutionary process that takes time and often a lot of trial and error.

David Gretzmier
05-16-2008, 01:46 AM
I guess I am struggling with the whole evolution thing. Your sitting in a room designing a new fixture for outside. "hey guys, should we make this waterproof? NAH. why? "

5 years later " hey, you think we out to improve that fixture that we put in the old par pipes? you know that dual axis thing that you can put an mr-16 in? water can come in the bottom, and the place that the wires come in. alot of folks are bringing these back. should we make it water proof? nah. why? "