PDA

View Full Version : advertising idea

mikeklein
12-17-2001, 08:31 PM
Just wanted to thank everybody that replied to my other post on getting a Z or a compact.I checked it out and the Z does go alot faster than the tractor at about half the price!Anyway sitting around thinking of advertising ideas for the spring.Im thinking of putting a sign in my yard out of like a 4x8 sheet plywood painted of course with company name and phone #.I live along a fairly rural road,but have alot of subdivisions going up all around us,and the road is pretty busy during the day.I guess I would have to get a permit from the city.i dont know if my neighbors would like it,but the houses are spaced pretty well(2 acre lots).anybody else have good luck with this ultra cheap way of advertising?------Mike klein

Esby
12-17-2001, 08:46 PM
There's no way I could pull that off in my neighborhood, not to mention we live at the end of a culd a sac. But if I were to do something like this I know I would have the sign professionally made. There is nothing worse than seeing a cheaply made advertisment, people directly relate that to one's work. You want the customers to be impressed with what they see from the very start, even if its not a lawn.

AltaLawnCare
12-17-2001, 08:50 PM
Either put magnetic signs on your truck, or have it lettered. Then set it out in front, with equipment loaded ready to work. ;)

Randy Scott
12-17-2001, 08:50 PM
Merely my opinion, but that just doesn't appeal or seem professional to me. It's one thing to have it on a commercial building site(like the actual business shop) but on a homeowners lawn, seems a little rinky-dink. Just my opinion though.
Glad you decided on the z, it will be your better choice of the two.

KDJ
12-17-2001, 09:07 PM
I like Altalawncare suggestion. Sounds like a clean approach to quality and low cost advertising.

wriken
12-17-2001, 09:09 PM
I've been thinking about doing the same thing, Putting a sign up that is, reason I would'nt put the truck and equipment there is because the house and polebarn are 800' off the road. Might have somebody try to steal something. But ya I'm putting a sign if it goes thru with the zoning or who ever I have to check with. There is a place that makes signs like what were talking about close by, they laminate them, put reflective letters, or whatever kind you want. Have'nt got a price yet but will soon. I have a ? on what goes on the sign, Keep it simple or list what you all do. Also I'm located on a very busy road, on slight of a curve, so I might but a sigh, consisting of 2 in like a V shape. See ya

fivestarlawnken
12-17-2001, 09:33 PM
If you put a sign in the front of your yard,get it done at a sign shop.Have your phone number,name,and your main service listed.You only have a few seconds for the driver by to see the sign.If you do an ad on trailer one side would be name,phone number. The other side you could list several services you provide etc.Good Luck.

chicks-dig-lawn-guys
12-17-2001, 09:45 PM
I think the best advertisement is the type that is displayed on your truck or trailor. A customer looks at a trailor and see's a lot of "fancy equipment" so they automatically think that the company is good. Also someone could drive by see the sign and see that you are doing a good job on the yard you are cutting. You get a different effect when you see that the person either has the equipment needed to do the job or you see the results from the person. So therefore you are advertising when working and when at home park you truck out by the road with the sign facing the road. Sounds good to me.

wriken
12-17-2001, 10:26 PM
Another thing I'm thinking about doing is to put a sign on the ramps of my landscape trailers, I think people will notice that as I move from job to job. Probably put ramp up when I'm doing a job to. See ya:)

1grnlwn
12-17-2001, 11:32 PM
If you like the yard idea, why not go for something smaller like reality sign. Less offensive to neighbors.

Turfdude
12-18-2001, 08:43 AM
A lot of service companies around hre use smaler realtor size site signs for extra advertisement. Cost is approx $5-$10 per sign when ordered in bulk. They are made of a product caled corex or something similar (kind of a laminated corrgated cardboard) and slip over a metal frame. I have 2 types one says landscape installaion by and the second says maintenance programs by. I always ask a clients permission first and never leave sign out for more than 2 weeks. They do draw a few new leads in and of course, the more people see your signs around at nice locations, the more work you'll draw.

Good luck
Bob

Hoosier Mower
12-18-2001, 05:37 PM
I'm going to also be putting up a few signs at key locations iin the area here and have already gotten the property owners okay and best wishes. I currently have advertising on the side of my trailers but are also thinking of a sign for the ramps, just think of the advertising you'd get when you have cars following you on the road. I'm not a big fan of putting the small realtor type signs up in clients yards because I think even if you have thier total permission it's invading thier yard space. The key thing to remember is that any advertising is good advertising! Best of luck.

Runner
12-18-2001, 06:24 PM
I don't think a realty sign would suffice in this case. Like it was said, it will only have a couple of seconds of exposure, so many people won't even SEE it, let alone see what it says. I feel that a large quality sign, if done right, and tastefully, MAY be effective. It has to have nice colors and be attractive and appealing to the eye, though. I would like to add that you may want to later concider a light shing up on it eventually, but 800 ft. is aLOT wire!

Craig Turf Management
12-18-2001, 07:07 PM
Do you really want to live in a home with a great big hairy sign in the yard? If anything, have the nicest, thickest, most weed-free turf for miles around. Have some way cool, super nice landscaping, and maybe a small sign out fron letting everyone know that you are the sweat behind all of that awesomeness.

Just my opinion, Bill Craig!

Atlantic Lawn
12-22-2001, 09:52 AM
We have very large signs on the ramps of our trailers,these ads are starin' someone right in the face every time we stop,people naturaly read things that are put right in front of them.Keep signs or any ads simple. Too much info is cramned in alot of well intended ads and most of it just gets lost.Big sign, simple layout, and easy to recall phone number works for us. The last four digits of our # is 7000 and we don't use area codes around here, so we are really lucky.Oh yea we work hard too.....

Lawn Dog2001
12-22-2001, 10:02 AM
I agree with Alta lawn Care. Get your truck lettered and park it where it can easily be seen from the road. I have seen LCs put signs in front of theyre houses. It always looks tacky.

wriken
12-22-2001, 10:08 AM
Runner,

I agree 800' is a long way, probably will never consider running wire that far, would probably have to run 8 gauge, lots of $, but I do believe they have solar powered light's, Don't know how bright or even if they make the kind that would shine light up or down on the sign, I was talking to a friend and he said they have them that lasts about 6 hrs. Thats if I would go with a lighted sign at all.

BRIAN GALLO
12-22-2001, 11:41 PM
I agree with a lot of these guys that your best advertising is your gear. Put that big painted sign on the tailgate of your trailer with all of your equipment on it and go driving (slowly) around in the neighborhoods you want to service. You would be surprised how many people will see it, and some of them might even think you are already working in the neighborhood, which is also a big plus!