PDA

View Full Version : Flexible, small dia. conduit

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-15-2008, 11:09 PM
I have some extensive pre-wiring to do in and around a very ornate hardscape. I need to be running wire up knee walls that will have a rubble stone veneer applied to them. As there is so much mortar used in rubble wall construction I want to be able to protect the wire jacket from the lime in the mortar.

Do you know of a small dia. flexible, thin wall tubing or conduit that I can use for this application. I checked in at HD and found 1/2 poly pipe, but it is too thick and rigid for the application.

Thanks.

Chris J
05-15-2008, 11:18 PM
Have you checked with an irrigation supplier? Maybe they have some type of drip tubing or the like that would solve your dilemma. I know this is a stupid suggesion, but I can't think of another at the moment. How fast would the lime deteriorate the jacket anyway?

Mark B
05-15-2008, 11:23 PM
Yeah what Chris said. Go back to HD and look in the irrigation area and look at solid drip tubing. The you can paint it to match the stone.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-15-2008, 11:29 PM
The wire will be installed inside the conduit and then anchored to the cinderblock foundation of the wall, then the mason comes and applies the rubble limestone finish to the walls to complete... completely covering the wiring except for a pigtail that comes through the stone/mortar to allow for some flush mounted louvered downlights.

Depending on the mortar used, I would think that a cable might only last 10 years or so in there. The lime in the mortar will eat through the jacket.

Regards

Chris J
05-15-2008, 11:32 PM
So how much life do you think the drip tube idea would provide? Another 10 years maybe?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-15-2008, 11:43 PM
I am hoping so, at least that...

I am actually thinking about using 12/2 BX but not sure if it is rated for the application (inside a masonry wall)

Regards

Chris J
05-15-2008, 11:50 PM
Not sure what 12/2 BX is. Does canadian code specify that it would have to be in conduit for this application being that it is not a wall of the dwelling?

Pro-Scapes
05-16-2008, 12:00 AM
is the cinderblock built yet ? I am doing about the same thing now but speced the conduit to be exactly where I want it during wall construction. They simpy made hole in the cinderblock and stubed the conduit out. I can cut it off and just fish tape my wire up fom the base of the wall.

refridgeration tubing ??

Lite4
05-16-2008, 12:07 AM
James,
Take a look at the PEX tubing. It is commonly used for plumbing where you will need very flexible tubing. Usually what you see under sinks. This stuff is very durable.

Pro-Scapes
05-16-2008, 12:25 AM
tims got it!!!

I also used a copper tubing to run my lead wires in around large palms. I heard roots wont touch copper.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-16-2008, 12:32 AM
Thanks Tim, 1/2 PEX might just be the ticket. Will have to see how flexible it is though.

Copper is ok but $$$ for hidden conduit.

BX is the armoured cable that is used in homes where the wire is not enclosed in a wall or ceiling, like between the water heater and the junction box. It is $$$ but is probably the way to go.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-16-2008, 12:34 AM
tims got it!!!

I also used a copper tubing to run my lead wires in around large palms. I heard roots wont touch copper.

Watch the use of copper around anything living Billy. If that copper tube gets grown over for any reason, you might just end up killing the tree.

JoeyD
05-16-2008, 09:13 AM
Why not just use the Flex Electrical Conduit? I know we always had it in 3/4" not sure if they make it smaller. I am sure you can paint it and still be safe in terms of a proper conduit for electrical? Here is a pciture of some of the metal stuff...I prefer the plastic stuff.

http://images.orgill.com/200x200/6776694.JPG

irrig8r
05-16-2008, 09:41 AM
http://www.easternwire.com/lt-nonmet-home.html

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-17-2008, 08:42 AM
I am going with armoured 12/2 for this application. All of the various conduits and sleeves are just too thick and difficult to bend and place into position.

Thanks guys.

Lumberjack
05-17-2008, 08:52 AM
They do make a flexable conduit for gas-tight and weather tight installs and it does come in 1/2 inch. You have to go to a regular electrical supply house to get it. Its called liquid-tite sometimes but there are several other trade names for it. You should know that it is a bit pricey for the fittings and tends to be harder to pull wires through it. 1/2 is a royal pain unless brand new. Some of the conduits have a steel core which pulls a lot easier but cost more. For your needs 1/2 inch plastic should work well.

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-17-2008, 01:46 PM
Thanks, I know about liquidtight and even the 1/2" is just too bulky for this application. I am going to use armoured 12/2 instead.

Eden Lights
05-17-2008, 10:26 PM
Is there a water tight armoured cable?

vjmac887
05-18-2008, 11:55 AM
12/2 armored cable is not approved for the application in which you refer to. Maybe you might consider ENT conduit.
http://www.carlon.com/Product_FlexPlusENT.html

If the cable will be exposed I would recommend non-metallic liquidtight.
http://www.alliedtube.com/electrical-raceways/conduit/liquid-tight-non-metallic-conduit.asp

The Lighting Geek
05-19-2008, 08:42 PM
we also use a hotbox and /or large torch and heat up the pvc conduit and becomes like limp spaghetti and you can mold it however you want. It is a little more work than liquid tite but it holds it shape better if that is important. I'm sure you already know this James, but just in case. I believe it comes in a size smaller than 1/2, 3/8 maybe?

Landscape Illuminating
05-19-2008, 08:54 PM
This is a MUST have tool when working with pvc conduit. It's called The Pipe Viper. No more plugging in and waiting for a heat blank to warm up. No more trying to mold your pipe that is now warm jello and waiting on it to cool and form. Be sure to check it out. It looks like a spring and is very affordable. I tie a string onto it for easy removal.

Bending made easy (http://www.thepipeviper.com/index.html)

-Chad

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-20-2008, 06:23 AM
By changing the design somewhat, and the fixture selection I have greatly reduced the need to prewire on the foundations of the stone walls. In the 8 locations where I will be installing louvered step lights I can easily use 1/2" pvc conduit to protect the wire from the mortar.

Thanks for all of the suggestions.