PDA

View Full Version : portable jump starter/compressor

Shady Brook
12-17-2001, 11:31 PM
Has anyone used the portable jump starters on the market for starting a truck? Some list amperage's, but I wonder how long they list at a given amperage before they have little or know value. Anyone have suggestions on a decent quality one?

Anyone recomend a good portable air compressor? I know some of the starters have them as well, I just don't want to buy a piece of junk. I usually buy junk first, and then buy something decent a second time around. Call me a mizer. :D

Has anyone actually used the DC power output jacks on one of the jump starters to actually use anything? I just wonder how much value they actually have. I am a skeptic, but if I hear it from guys who are in the business, I will trust you way more then the box.

Thanks
Jay

David Gretzmier
12-18-2001, 12:00 AM
I saw one at Sam's wholesale I was impressed with, but have not bought it. it has a compresser, booster, lamp, 12v and 120 v outlets w/ a 400 watt maximum on the 120. it'll run a drill, not a saw. the shop we get our trucks repaired at uses a booster pack all the time and they keep it charged, and it works. I like the idea of getting a few extras rather than just a booster. it'll get more use that way. Dave g

Shady Brook
12-18-2001, 12:05 AM
Dave

Thanks for the reply. Do you remember how much the one at Sams was? The 120 volt deal makes more sense then the DC stuff. Is it the same type as they use at the shop you mentioned?

Thanks
Jay

Randy Scott
12-18-2001, 12:49 AM
Guys, I bought the jumper pack/air compressor about two weeks ago. It was from Fleet Farm, it is a yellow unit made by Rally. It has the little work light, booster , and air compressor. DON'T buy it, it sucks. The air compressor can't even put 40 lbs. in a trailer tire, oh yeah, it says it has 260 psi, NOT. It tells you to jack the vehicle up to get the air in. If I am going to do that I'll just put the spare on. Nowhere on the box does it say it's boost capacity, it has it IN the box in the directions. 200 amps only. I'm returning it this week and will just get the regular booster pack alone that has 600 amps cranking boost.