PDA

View Full Version : University or Scotts? (chinch bug)

kacj777
05-16-2008, 08:31 PM
History of my lawn. Last year my yard started getting little round dead spots that got bigger (St. Aug). Now the major part of my front yard is dead. I took a soil sample and sent it to Clemson U. The results were chinch bugs and some sort of fungus. So I treated with some stuff from lowes. (didn't't help) it kept dying. So this year Scotts came out and he said that we didn't't have chinch in this area (Easley SC about 4 hrs from the coast). And proceeded to tell me I killed it by cutting it to close I cut at 3.5 in. So i agreed to let him treat it. But now my grass is starting to do it all over again. So do I trust my U. or scotts? Any suggestions on how to fix?

tremor
05-16-2008, 10:34 PM
Ric???

You're the C4 guy.

Ric
05-17-2008, 01:13 AM
Kacj

IMHO Scotts is a marketing company and will tell you any thing to get the sale. Every since Organophosphates came off market Chinch bugs have been a real problem. Talstar doesn't get them all the time. So I would go the University and Chinch bugs as your problem with the little information supplied. Try using Sevin insecticide to control chinch bugs.

Brown patch is another possible problem. Pull on the center blade of a leaf cluster. If the Blade pulls out real easy and you see the white end, then you have brown patch. Try this on several blades to be sure. If the blade snaps off, the turf is healthy. If you have Brown patch, have it professionally treated with a Liquid systemic fungicide.

Really not Knowing your weather and local conditions, I am at a loss as to being able to help you.

RigglePLC
05-17-2008, 07:48 AM
Get an experienced professional to take a look. Find a company that has someone that has been around for more than a year or two. Get two opinions to be sure.

KACYDS
05-17-2008, 08:38 AM
Try using Deltaguard granules for Chinch Bugs. It has worked great for me. Also if you think you have Brown Patch, you can use almost any fungicide for that, I would use Revere or Bayleton. It also is granular. Bayleton is great because its a systemic fungicide. Brown patch normally grows when the night temperture is cool and the humidity or rain is high. Normally I dont see brown patch in the late spring and summer here in New Orleans.

Also chinch bugs like hot, dry weather. We normally start seeing them in late June and July.

Hopefully all of this will help. The chemicals I mentioned, can be purchased at Lesco/John Deere.

:jester::jester::jester:

bug-guy
05-17-2008, 08:44 AM
if it is chinch bugs (do a search to find chinch bugs)go to lesco/jdl and get some aloft or arena granular.

this is a pic of chinch bugs on a blade of st. aug grass

http://elkhorn.unl.edu/epublic/live/g806/build/graphics/chinch1.jpg

Ric
05-17-2008, 10:55 AM
Try using Deltaguard granules for Chinch Bugs. It has worked great for me. Also if you think you have Brown Patch, you can use almost any fungicide for that, I would use Revere or Bayleton. It also is granular. Bayleton is great because its a systemic fungicide. Brown patch normally grows when the night temperture is cool and the humidity or rain is high. Normally I dont see brown patch in the late spring and summer here in New Orleans.

Also chinch bugs like hot, dry weather. We normally start seeing them in late June and July.

Hopefully all of this will help. The chemicals I mentioned, can be purchased at Lesco/John Deere.

:jester::jester::jester:

KACYDS

The reason you don't see Brown Patch (also call Winter Patch) in the spring and summer is because it is too hot. Everything is everywhere but the environment selects. Rhizocotonia Microbes are a soil born microbe that is almost impossible to control but can be suppressed. If you have Brown Patch this year there is a 90% change you will have it in the same spot next year. Best Management Practices and record keeping is very important when dealing with Brown Patch. Preventive treatments of a Granular Systemic fungicide work. BUT once Rhizocotonia microbes have infected turf plants they can not up take fungicide with roots very well. Foliar applications of Systemic fungicides can gain control much quicker when curative measures are needed. Surfactant that help leaf penetration like Lovelands LI 700 can increase the effectiveness of fungicide 10 fold. Macozeb is no longer on the market but by adding LI 700 I got curative results with one application at preventive rates. IMHO Granules on the other hand can only stop the spread of Brown Patch to healthy turf and cause very little effect to infected turf.

Delta Guard is in the same chemical family as Talstar and we are having Resistances to that Chemical family by Chinch Bugs. I recommended Sevin because it is available in every hardware store at affordable homeowner prices and is a different chemical family. Aloft and Arena are more a professional product at a cost and quantity not favorable to home owners

bug-guy
05-17-2008, 12:14 PM
aloft can be bought in 40 # bags for less than 8.00 per 1000
puts value to want the pro's do

Ric
05-17-2008, 02:38 PM
aloft can be bought in 40 # bags for less than 8.00 per 1000
puts value to want the pro's do

Bug Guy

Sevin can be purchased for around $ 12.00 and will do 5,000 sq ft or about $ 2.40 a thousand. BTW I am a Pro and I use Liquid Sevin as my rotation insecticide.

bug-guy
05-17-2008, 04:12 PM
aloft @ the heavy rate can get you 2-3 months protection. sevin gets you 2-3 days
and that price was retail... for homeowners

Ric
05-17-2008, 06:43 PM
aloft @ the heavy rate can get you 2-3 months protection. sevin gets you 2-3 days
and that price was retail... for homeowners

Bug Guy

Consider the fact that a Homeowner is asking for help. Confusing a homeowner with professional products really doesn't help them. Most homeowner who are here asking question, really don't want to spend $ 8.00 a thousand for a product, Heck I wouldn't spend $ 8.00 a thousand for a Pesticide.

tremor
05-17-2008, 10:11 PM
Some cheapskate home owners won't pay $8/M for a service let alone the materials!

Good job trying tough!

bug-guy
05-18-2008, 08:44 AM
down here with the chinch bug problem being widely reconizible now i find just the opposite. i'm on my second pallet now

Ric
05-18-2008, 09:47 AM
down here with the chinch bug problem being widely reconizible now i find just the opposite. i'm on my second pallet now

Bug Guy

I am Glad it works for you and Thank Heavens I am smart enough not to spend that kind of money. I know Central Florida is having a real resistances problem with Chinch Bugs. But the rest of the Country is not experiencing the heavy Chinch Bug resistances of Central Florida. We are starting to see Chinch Bug Resistances here in South Florida. I believe this a direct result of Dursban being taken off the market. It is Diazinon that I miss more than Dursban because it also got Grubs.

But a look at COMMON SENSE is needed here. Green Grass is lovely to look at and walk on. But in today's economy of Mass Foreclosures you can't eat grass. You can't bag it and sell it for hay. So how much is the average homeowner going to pay for Green Grass?????

playersc
05-18-2008, 10:55 AM
Do a search for hgic.clemson.edu has some great info that helped me last year with same exact problem.