PDA

View Full Version : kubota diesel zero turn mowers

JEFF ZALMANOFF
12-18-2001, 05:20 PM
does anyone have one of Kubota zero turn mowers . do you like it .does it cut well in all kinds of grass . does it have enough power for cutting wet grass . is it holding up well . any info you have about them first hand would be great . THANKS jeff

Prime Seasons
12-18-2001, 05:58 PM
I saw demoed one at the Expo this summer. Seems like a real good contender for Exmark perhaps in a few years. Like the diesel motors, overall design and ease of access. Lo, did not have opportunity to cut grass... Seems like ground speed was a little on the low side, also. Priced competitive with the high end Z's.

Hope this is helpful.

Devin
12-18-2001, 06:14 PM
Talked th the Kubota dealer today. He said Kubota is coming out with a 28HP and a 30HP Diesel on 60 or 72 " decks. He is taking delivery on them in March.

Devin
Wilson's Lawn Service.:blob2:

Cutter1
12-18-2001, 11:24 PM
I have cut with the Kubota Z. I was very impressed with it. Cut very good and had plenty of power!! Did not like the fact that you can only have 1/2 heigth adjustments. I like the hydraulic lift also. Overall, if I were to buy a diesel I would buy one of these before anything. THats right guys, above Exmark and Dixie Chopper!! :)

Fine Lines Lawn
12-19-2001, 12:12 AM
I demoed one a year ago and was very impressed with the bells and whistles on the machine. Very comfortable and powerful. Rode like a Cadillac. I didn't like the stamped garden tractor type deck and found that it didn't stripe very well.

Cutter1
12-19-2001, 02:06 PM
That was my one concern testing the unit. The deck has basically not changed at all from the old G-series tractors. It has no baffles underneath, but to my surprise, it cut good and impressed me.

AltaLawnCare
12-19-2001, 05:47 PM
Blade tip speed is slower too. May be because of the drive shaft drive to the deck?

You can't beat the price for a diesel! A dealer told me he sold a ZD18 with a 60" deck and it still had plenty of power. It seems to have a 'floating' front axle - like a Gravely.....also with that James Bond built in jack system. ;)

They are supposed to be good on hills too.

bharrison
12-19-2001, 09:50 PM
I own a ZD21. No regrets. Awesome unit. Extremely comfortable seat with 2 large springs (horizontal) and arm rests. Hydro deck lift. Wet disc PTO clutch. Shaft drive deck. Pivoting front axle w/ built in jack. The list goes on. E-mail me if you would like some pics or specs.

I don't have the specs in front of me but I think the blade speed is in the 14K fpm range. If that is not fast enough for you, Kubota sells a High Speed Gearbox for the deck.

Do a search on "ZD28." I posted a link to the new ZD unit (2002) a while back.

It is 28hp, 72" cut. Hope this helps

-Ben

1stclasslawns
12-19-2001, 10:16 PM
I demoed 1 back in the summer it was OK not great though it was very quiet and comfortable but the blade speed does need to be faster.
I liked the front pivot that has the jack in it, but I didn't like the thin deck i dont think it will stand up to what is needed in my aera. We mow flint rocks on a regular basis.
The other thing I didn't like is the hydro unit, it worked very smooth but it is all one unit with out replaceable componets, if a pump goes out you have to get a whole unit, I think it could be costly if you ever do have a problem.
The hill I tried it on it didn't hold as well as my great dane.

Jim

WREBELMACHINE
12-20-2001, 02:38 PM
I looked close at one and thought it was ok! I do not like all the bells and whisles on the machine! I have learned from other machines that its nice at the dealership but when you use it everyday its just more things to go wrong!! I personally like the KISS method which means keep it simple stupid! The simpliar the machine the more effecient and more productive it is especially in the downtime and repair bill area!

Just my opinion!

Rodney Johns
12-21-2001, 05:45 PM
I have been around them at Louisville. Good ride but generic appearance to me. As far as performance it depends on the application of use. I like the Walkers with the Kubota engines better. Kind of the best of both worlds for long term use. I have not been around the new models refered to on here. Hopefully they will have a couple at the National Farm Machinery show back in Louisville in a couple of months. I have to say they make a heck of an engine!

David Gretzmier
12-22-2001, 11:31 PM
my brother ran one all year on his 60 accounts and it ran all day every day, no problems. 60"cut, 21 horse, fast enough for him and he had a laser 60 before.

Dave g