PDA

View Full Version : Echo Leaf Blower Bogs Down

ealbertson
12-18-2001, 05:49 PM
I have a BP400 Echo back pack leave blower. It is about five years old. It does great with the exception that when I let it idle for a minute or two it bogs down when I try to throttle it up. I have to very slowly throttle it up. It does this worse when it is first started, but I kind of expect that.

I would appreciate any ideas any of you may have.

Thanks, Ed

trimmer
12-18-2001, 09:13 PM
I have a lot of older echo equipment and they all seem to do that for some reason. Might want to try and adjust the carburator.

Robert Doubrava
12-18-2001, 09:41 PM
Yes. A carburetor adjustment seems like it would work. If it trys to die, it may be gittin' too much gas to the carburator. Just an idea.

Fish
12-18-2001, 11:07 PM
It sounds like it is running lean, but adjusting the carb is not a
cure. You either have a fuel obstruction or a source of air leaking
in places it is not supposed to leak. But it sounds more like
some dirt in your carb. If you find any mixture screws on your
carb, try turning them 1/8 of a turn ccw and it should run a little
better, but going through your carb would be the best thing to do.
Fish

Turfdude
12-23-2001, 09:48 PM
If I remember correctly, the 400's have both hi and lo carb adjustments. Sound to me like it is the lo one for idle and throttle-up that needs adjustment. When you get this one properly adjusted, then just tweak the hi one at full throttle.

Bob

strickdad
12-25-2001, 10:47 AM
i disagree with the above post .. to me it sounds like its running to fat. (rich) have you checked the air cleaner latley???

lawncare
12-26-2001, 06:05 AM
Just had that problem a month ago caused by trash in carb,clean carb,blowout gas tank if you have a air compressor and adjust hi/lo screws as needed. Paid a guy 35 bucks to figure it out n 10 mins i watch so he want get that again. Also try this to prevent problem in the future if you have a snapper(robin engine) with the plastic strainer that sits in the gas tank before you fill up any equip pour you gas through strainer to catch all the trash your eyes cant see you'll be amaze at how much it catches and this should slow up problems and cut down on most carb problems on any engine. ill try to post a pic of strainer if you don't know what it looks like it cost about 4 bucks here but you'll save in the long run

bob
12-27-2001, 09:03 PM
Also look at your muffler (spark arrestor) screen. It could be clogged.

lawncare
12-30-2001, 04:48 PM
Forgot about muffler if screen is clog in muffler that means to much oil in your mix get a handheld torch and burn muffler and screen till it turn fire red and you will see the smoke is the oil burning off make sure u take muffler off of blower.

cnflawn
12-30-2001, 10:36 PM
hi ed,
it sounds like the low side jet is running lean. look at the carb turn the adjustment screw closest to the engine ccw 1/4 turn that should fix it. if the unit will run wot (wide open throttle) the screen in the exaust.and the high side of the carb are fine. this tends to happen from varnish building up on the low jet/needle as it is the smallest opening in the carb.
jerald

keifer
01-06-2002, 01:47 PM
I vote for the spark arester first. if it is clog it would act the same way and does not mean you are useing the wrong mix. take the screen out very simple and see if that helps.

Remo Sid
01-06-2002, 06:39 PM
The first thing I would do before messing with the carb is to make sure it is exausting good. You will need to remove the muffler, although it can be restricted itself, (screen), ( I have known of dirt-dobbers building in mufflers), anyway make sure the muffler is clear. The exaust port can also be clogged with carbon. After making sure the engine can (breath), and it still doesn't run right, then you may want to consider the carb.

click here for small engine repair help (clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/smallenginerepairhelp)

Mgardner
01-10-2002, 01:25 AM
Dirt Dobbers do build in the exhast port because my BR 400 Stihl wouldn`t run right until we cleaned it out .AFTER I put a new carb on it.

CPLLTT
01-12-2002, 10:20 PM
I also have an Echo PB-400, and it often does the same thing. I'm sure its a matter of adjusting the idle mixture screw (the one closest to the engine). These blowers have very big engines on em, and they suck alot of air when you open the throttle. You may be due for a carb overhaul too. Remember, NEVER let gas sit in the tank for more than a month without running it. If it's going to sit, drain the tank and run the engine till every last drop of gas is gone. You will save yourself alot of trouble the next time you really need it!

BRIAN GALLO
01-12-2002, 10:52 PM
It could be a worn diaphram in the carb, but I would check the exhaust ports first then do a compression check also. If your rings are worn they can cause similar symptoms.

mark munday
01-13-2002, 03:28 AM
I have seen this problem a number of times as I have been in the landscape maintenance business for years.It happens to blowers more than other equipment due to the nature of their job ...
I also use PB400'S
It is as others suggested,the spark arrestor..
because to make a smaller pile you don't want to make a mess, so you lessen the power...
Your problem is common and happens with all kinds of equpment when used @ PARTIAL THROTTLE FOR TOO LONG a period.This stops the oil in the mix from getting burned up in the fuel due to the engine low temperature...USE full throttle only with equipment like line trimmers (weed whackers) and with blowers be sure to turn away and rev it up!heat up the engine for a while then the oil is burnt up and no left over oil sent into muffler then on to the spark arrestor
My employees Have called me with the same complaint with blowers, line trimmers, etc.Nine times out of ten it is the clogged spark arrester AND when I ask them to show me how they use the equipment as a test, not telling them why, they use it as if they are scared of the power...backing off of the throttle...gotcha I say...
THE USER IS THE PROBLEM NOT THE MACHINE...
I never have that problem with my variable speed blower because @ the end of each use, I REV IT UP for a while to burn up the oil from the low throttle time

Hope that solves it for you ...seems you get a lot of different ideas but start with the most common and easiest to rectify...PLAYING WITH THE CARB WHEN IT IS NOT THE PROBLEM WASTES TIME AND LEAVES IT SET INCORRECTLY = frustration frustratrion