PDA

View Full Version : Need website advice

landscaper22
05-17-2008, 10:40 PM
So, I have been thinking of getting a site for my business. Is there any real advantage to having someone create my website from scratch for several hundred dollars vs. just using someone like godady to host it for a few dollars per month? Well, I realize some will say that with godaddy or however you use one of their templates. But my thoughts are it is a lawn care business. Only current customers and potential customers in my area even care to look at the site. So, if some other LCO across the country has the same template, who cares? But, other than that is there any real problems or any other reason not to use one of those hosting services for $10 per month or less?

Turf Troll
05-18-2008, 08:05 AM
If I was only going to do 1 website I would do it with Yahoo. Everything will be easier for you to do they have decent tutorials and instructions.

TLClandscaping
05-18-2008, 09:41 AM
I am working on mine now, I build with Dreamweaver mx and Flash 8 pro. You can do some really cool designs with it. It is a little advanced for most people but if you want something good and helpful to whomever sees it, get it. I wouldnt use any other program.

landscaper22
05-21-2008, 04:18 PM
I think Yahoo seems to have a good plan. Turf Troll, do you use them? Or does anyone else? Has anyone tried using vistaprint's new web service? It seems decent too.

TLClandscaping
05-21-2008, 10:38 PM
godaddy is good for hosting, I would/am going to use them and publish/build my own site.

Turf Troll
05-23-2008, 04:28 PM
landscaper22

I built my first site with their plan, I am talking to someone now to make some graphics for me for it, I am going around this summer and take pictures of past jobs to put up also.

Bill S. has some nice sites with yahoo for his business,

If your not looking to get into building a website

I'll host your site for $7 a month,
I''l put a 5-7 page site up for you for $100, if you have pictures or a logo if you can email them to me I'll put them on it,
you can set it up to take some credit cards like visa and master card,

I hire people to make graphics for me like a banner across the top or on the bottom of the page they go $30 to $50 depending, I saw someone here who was doing graphics not to long ago but I couldn't find him again

the most important part of a website is the work to get it at the top on all the search engines, the more populated your area the more business you will get off a website,
if you have some competition in your area you can do it over 3 to 4 months figure to spend $200 to $400 over that time and $20 to $30 a month on going to keep it there,
a little competition a couple of weeks and maybe a total of $100-200,

You can make life easy and follow examples of steps that work quickly or you can set your website up and it will make the work harder to get your site where you want it,

If someone does a search for my main "landscaping town" 7 out of 10 results on the first page of a Google search will have my phone number on them, it's all about getting links,

Bill S
05-25-2008, 01:43 PM
Nothing better than dominating a front page! I often vary between 3 to 5 results on the first page with typically a couple more on page 2!

The way I look at it, the more that I have the less my competition does

jaredslawnserv
06-04-2008, 07:53 PM
try freewebs.com.

KevinACrider
06-04-2008, 08:05 PM
I've been with GoDaddy for years. They are top notch.

kleankutslawn
06-06-2008, 04:40 PM
landscaper22

I built my first site with their plan, I am talking to someone now to make some graphics for me for it, I am going around this summer and take pictures of past jobs to put up also.

Bill S. has some nice sites with yahoo for his business,

If your not looking to get into building a website

I'll host your site for $7 a month,
I''l put a 5-7 page site up for you for $100, if you have pictures or a logo if you can email them to me I'll put them on it,
you can set it up to take some credit cards like visa and master card,

I hire people to make graphics for me like a banner across the top or on the bottom of the page they go $30 to $50 depending, I saw someone here who was doing graphics not to long ago but I couldn't find him again

the most important part of a website is the work to get it at the top on all the search engines, the more populated your area the more business you will get off a website,
if you have some competition in your area you can do it over 3 to 4 months figure to spend $200 to $400 over that time and $20 to $30 a month on going to keep it there,
a little competition a couple of weeks and maybe a total of $100-200,

You can make life easy and follow examples of steps that work quickly or you can set your website up and it will make the work harder to get your site where you want it,

If someone does a search for my main "landscaping town" 7 out of 10 results on the first page of a Google search will have my phone number on them, it's all about getting links,
what can i do to make my site come up in the search engines better?

Kressious
06-06-2008, 09:20 PM
what can i do to make my site come up in the search engines better?

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=204443

kleankutslawn
06-08-2008, 02:41 PM
thanks for the info

Partsangel
06-08-2008, 04:42 PM
If you are considering a web site for your business you.. Ya better get started and fast! I started along time ago using Front Page and some plan from AT&T and its been a long road of pounding on these keyboard keys to get it up to what is basicly a part-time job for me now. The key is getting started with and affordable plan for you then start learning about search engines and how they work. If you are paying someone to do this for you (I understand) but make sure they know about Meta-Tags thats the keywords that let search engine spiders (long story) find you. If you have a web site already ..open the front/home page, then if you have IE in the tool bar click on the down box next to (Page)..scroll down to (view source) then click it and another page will pop up.
it should say something like this.....

meta name="KEYWORDS" content="Sean Rocks, Lawnsite, lawn mower wakos, people that breath 2 cycle gas fumes, something about what your company do's or sells and state"
meta name="DESCRIPTION" content="Sean is Awesome, lawnsite rocks, I cant beleive im paying someone $40 per hr to type this, something about what your company do's or sells and state

I'm sorry to let you know that there is nothing like making a web site then Set and Forget and the Money rolls in....Its alot work but selling something to someone that you never will see or make a sales pitch to is awesome:cool2:

Mike

Turf Troll
06-09-2008, 10:18 PM
You can visit the site below and read the sticky's for more than you probably want to know.

http://www.webproworld.com/search-engine-optimization-forum/

The part you will probably have the hardest time in accomplishing is getting enough links to your site. The on page optimization is easy.

kleankutslawn
06-11-2008, 03:13 AM
is there anyone on here i can get the do this for me(make it come up better in the search engines)i don't know a whole lot about pc's

JohnnyRoyale
06-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Try www.ebizwebpages.com, its real simple and easy to use. SEO 'Search Engine Optimization' has to do with text on your site, keywords, and frequent updating of such as search engines scroll to find new content regularily. Most web design co's can do this for you at a price. Good luck.

kleankutslawn
06-11-2008, 08:18 AM
thanks again.someone was trying to tell me how but i didn't understand

Turf Troll
06-11-2008, 09:24 PM
kleankutslawn I'll send you a pm with my email, let me look at your site and I'll do some research for what type of business you want and what you might have to do to rank for it it shouldn't be to hard

Turf Troll
06-11-2008, 09:39 PM
I tried to click on what I think is your site - www.kleankutslawncare.com/
and go the following,

The page you tried to access does not exist on this server. This page may not exist due to the following reasons:

1. You are the owner of this web site and you have not uploaded (or incorrectly uploaded) your web site. For information on uploading your web site using FTP client software or web design software, click here for FTP Upload Information.

2. The URL that you have entered in your browser is incorrect. Please re-enter the URL and try again.

3. The Link that you clicked on incorrectly points to this page. Please contact the owner of this web site to inform them of this situation.

Partsangel
06-11-2008, 10:38 PM
Thanks TT for pointing out to all web site owners that you need to check your web site daily and make sure its up and running and your Domain Name and Hostings Fees are payed up and current. I'm telling everybody that this is a long road and you are going to have to do some reseach and (the four letter word) Work! Plus if you think your gona get full list for your parts dont bother trying to build a web site. Now for you web site owners that are current with your Domain Name and Hosting Fees try submitting your web site to search engines, you will find links on Google, Yahoo, MSN, Momas, Altavista etc... but get ready for the spam mail to start coming in... and alot of it! I dont want to paint a picture of Gloom and Doom...web sites can open up a whole nother customer base for you..from Wa to Fl to Nh to Ca

Its alot work but selling something to someone that you never will see or make a sales pitch to is awesome

Mike

tras
06-12-2008, 10:09 AM
I've been with GoDaddy for years. They are top notch.

As have I, always host with 24hostingnow.com and my domains are through godaddy.

kleankutslawn
06-17-2008, 12:43 PM
back up and running.that is a long story

Bill S
06-17-2008, 08:37 PM
Kleankuts, take Troll up on his offer of assistance, he will get you ranked well if you do as he says. Of course, with any organic method there is a time factor in waiting for all the spiders to crawl you, the better the content the more apt the spiders will come back.

kleankutslawn
06-17-2008, 11:33 PM
thanks Bill S I SENT HIM A PM.i hope he can help me

Qland
06-18-2008, 03:27 AM
you can find affordible web design here www.qcomputerservices.com
check out web samples there is a web site for vistalandscapeconstraction.com this site was around $350 to design Except the movie which was done erlier and was extra but also affordible) and reliable hosting is around $7 a month.

Turf Troll
06-18-2008, 03:29 PM
Hey Reggie,

If Tampa is where you want work or the best area to get work, I would put "lawn care tampa"in your description tag and in the title tag and as a h1 tag, just take out "service" in the title tag and thats done.

The towns you have listed on the index/home page pick 5 what you think would be the best 5 and add them to the keywords tag. What you want for a keyword you want on the page to be seen by a reader and in the keyword meta tag (left click your mouse on your page till you see a menu that has "view source" your meta tags are there)

Of course you need back links. That would be another site having "lawn care tampa" as the text and the link being "www.kleankutslawncare.com"

With enough links you can even overcome poor on page seo,

You can submit your site to Search engines, article directory's, social bookmarking sites and a few more, don't forget to get on Google small business local.

Maybe some people will contribute how they got links for their sites.

jim

Turf Troll
06-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Hey Reggie,

I put a website up for you, http://lawncaretampafl.com (http://www.lawncaretampafl.com)

I'll fix it up over the next couple of weeks if you send me some pictures. I am going to get your phone number and or website or another site with a story about this site, on the first page of Google when someone does a search for the keyword "lawn care Tampa" 3 to 5 times on the first page of a Google search.
I sent a email to my writer to write some articles and we'll submit them to article directory's and some other work.

jim

kleankutslawn
06-19-2008, 09:26 PM
thanks jim give me a call and let me know what i need to do

Turf Troll
06-20-2008, 06:38 AM
Hey Reggie,

All you have to do now is find some pictures you like of your work or properties you service.

When the site shows up on the first page of Google I'll have someone redesign it so it looks better,

Results 1 - 10 of about 4,000 for "Lawn Care Tampa "

looks like 4,000 sites competing for the keyword phrase "lawn care tampa"

I sent the site to someone to do some link building for it,

this first is to get you listed on google local at the top of the page

http://www.google.com/local/add/businessCenter?gl=US&hl=en-US

This is for yahoo local business
http://listings.local.yahoo.com/csubmit/index.php

List one of your sites in them, either one, this new one or your old one, or you can just put a phone number in and add the site latter.

jim

kleankutslawn
06-20-2008, 09:44 AM
once again thanks.i set up both sites

Team-Green L&L
06-20-2008, 10:34 AM
If you are really serious about organic results and direct traffic I may be able to help. I have posted quite a bit of info on another thread you may have read. Let me know if I may assist you.

Turf Troll
06-20-2008, 07:46 PM
Hey Reggie,

I pulled this list of services from your website. What four services make you the most money and/or what services do you want more of ?

Weekly Lawn Mowing
Complete Landscape Maintenance.
Mowing & Edging
Hedge/Tree Trimming
Seasonal Color
Fall/Spring Leaf Cleanups
Home Owners Associations
Full Service Grounds Management.
Sod Installation
Basic Landscape Enhancements
Complete Landscape Installations.
Trash Hauling & Debris Removal.
Tree Trimming and Removal
Pressure Washing

And lets start getting you some links. Please go to your profile area, on the top left is the signature link , put in www.lawncaretampafl.com (http://www.lawncaretampafl.com)/ www.kleankutslawncare.com (http://www.kleankutslawncare.com)

Did you see the change to www.lawncaretampafl.com (http://www.lawncaretampafl.com)

jim

kleankutslawn
06-20-2008, 10:45 PM
just added them i think.keep in mind im not the greatest on computers so if i ask some question that seems crazy just bare with me

kleankutslawn
06-20-2008, 10:50 PM
once again thanks Jim

Turf Troll
06-21-2008, 06:26 AM
Reggie your welcome,

Please send me photos of your work you want to show and the zip code of towns you want to service, look for a pm with my email so you can send the pictures there,

I would wager that the majority of us at this forum have started with landscaping or lawn care not with the internet, PC's/computers, somethings we pick up easy, somethings we need to keep trying till we can, just like anything else.

When I first got a inkling of what having a website site could do from a landscaper on Long Island NY (my buddy Sal),

I was spending money on a yellow page add, newspapers, and I would send out 10,000 postcards in the spring. But the money was shooting back to these ad companies.

Now I stay busy all season with just clients from the internet,
today there will be three groups of workers (7 men) doing three different landscape maintenance jobs that should net about $2000 to $2500.

The great thing about the internet is when people/potential clients find your website the larger percentage of them are looking to buy from you and from my experience 80% want higher dollar services. There just great clients they have good incomes and they want to fix something they don't like and are looking for someone to help them fix the situation.

jim

Turf Troll
06-21-2008, 06:58 AM
Reggie,

I added the links to my signature until you can put them in yours over the weekend,

jim

kleankutslawn
06-21-2008, 08:21 PM
Jim let me know when is a good time to give you a call b/c there is alot of things i just don't know how to do on the computer

kleankutslawn
06-22-2008, 08:56 AM
about those services,lawn mowing,sod installation,trash hauling&debris removal,spring/fall clean ups, are the four main titles

kleankutslawn
06-22-2008, 08:57 AM
i will give you a call shortly Jim.

Team-Green L&L
06-22-2008, 10:00 AM
Turf Troll,

Please let me know what your domain names are. I would like to take a look-see if I can. Mine are listed below.

I am quite interested in the internet/contractor cross-over that's been going on in the past several years. As a matter of fact, I have been actively marketing our website for 2 years now and have seen tremendous results from it. We have sold twice as many solid profiting jobs from our site alone than all other forms of advertising we use combined; and we are Gold Sponsors of our local Yellow Pages, are involved in direct mail, radio, and 3 different presses at this time.

As far as my own testimony goes, I had a little knowledge in internet marketing prior to my landscaping introduction and have studied intensely since.

DoubleJ
06-22-2008, 12:02 PM
I've designed sites using Dreamweaver and Flash. If anyone needs help getting something setup just let me know. It's more of a hobby for me so I never charge very much for design. lol

Turf Troll
06-22-2008, 12:08 PM
Hey Andrew,

I'm not sure what your asking, I'm probably making it harder than it is, I have somewhere under 600 domains, from electricians, lawyers, real estate, chiropractors, landscaping of :usflag: course and

within two months two directory's for local areas which will have listings for any business you might find in the yellow pages, points of interest in the areas, special separate pages for businesses that might want videos of their work and coupons and videos and pages for individuals and more features but thats something different than what we are talking about here,

Lawn Maintenance Tampa (http://www.lawncaretampafl.com)

Landscaping Tampa (http://www.landscapingtampalawncare.com)

These are the two we are doing. Since I was doing one for lawn care tampa for Reggie, I thought I would do one for landscaping as there is more income per job than lawn care.

I hope to have at least three spots on any keyword phrase on the first page of Google with Reggie"s phone number or leading to his phone number, at least the first spot for one of each keyword phrases.

We'll see,

jim

Team-Green L&L
06-22-2008, 01:46 PM
I was actually asking to see the domains you have already successfully optimized with keyword result fields of significant proportion. The reason I asked was because you are using a domain keyword for Reggie's sites, which is not a bad tactic, but an obvious one.

I would consider 3 listings on 1 results page to be spammy IMO. We optimized "Cincinnati Landscaping" and all keywords like those and ran into a company called Big C Lawn Care, who spammed those keywords real well. I talked to the owner at a local gravel pit and he informed me that his site "did not receive the hits he'd expected it to". I would be willing to bet the "over-results" made buyer wary of the company due to their internet principles on SPAM.

My primary question is this, and I am by no means patronizing you by asking it, what domains have you recently optimized that have produced real organic traffic stats like I have attached. This was my report for "landing keywords" from May 22-June 21st of this year.

By comparison, the results are quite low, but if you will notice that people are using my actual company name as the 2cd most used keyword. What does that tell me? That says that 22 visitors to my "landscaping" page weren't simply looking for a landscaping company in general. They were looking for MY landscaping company. Those are what I consider good results and am interested in someone else's results like that.

Hey Andrew,

I'm not sure what your asking, I'm probably making it harder than it is, I have somewhere under 600 domains, from electricians, lawyers, real estate, chiropractors, landscaping of :usflag: course and

within two months two directory's for local areas which will have listings for any business you might find in the yellow pages, points of interest in the areas, special separate pages for businesses that might want videos of their work and coupons and videos and pages for individuals and more features but thats something different than what we are talking about here,

Lawn Maintenance Tampa (http://www.lawncaretampafl.com)

Landscaping Tampa (http://www.landscapingtampalawncare.com)

These are the two we are doing. Since I was doing one for lawn care tampa for Reggie, I thought I would do one for landscaping as there is more income per job than lawn care.

I hope to have at least three spots on any keyword phrase on the first page of Google with Reggie"s phone number or leading to his phone number, at least the first spot for one of each keyword phrases.

We'll see,

jim

Turf Troll
06-22-2008, 06:13 PM
Search Engine Results Checker (http://www.seoserp.com/web_tools/google_top_1000_serps_checker.asp)
http://www.seoserp.com/web_tools/google_top_1000_serps_checker.asp

Turf Troll
06-22-2008, 06:18 PM
That last Post wasn't finished,
I wanted to check out to see if the links worked.

Search Engine Results Checker (http://www.seoserp.com/web_tools/google_top_1000_serps_checker.asp)

I was sharing the tool with Reggie so he could follow the results of his sites and I thought other people might be interested.

jim

Turf Troll
06-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Andrew,

I'm sure you do a good job at most things you do - like most of us, if you can put the time and dedication into your efforts.

Reggie and I talked today, I did not have the time I would of liked because I had to go help on a job for a couple hours.

I shared with Reggie some of my landscaping sites and what I was going to do for the "lawn care Tampa" site.

Reggie's new site is either number 100 or number 34 depending if I checked or he checked (he got the 34)

When I noticed Reggie's comments and the trouble he was having I didn't talk to him or ask permission, I just got some domains and put a real simple site together for him. This is easy for me to do as I do a little bit of it and I just did it.

If I can make Reggie one to two thousand a week in season maybe he'll give me a hundred bucks a month, I think that would be fine to book 4 to 6 grand a month for 100 bucks.

If people ask a question that I can help with, thats what I try to do.

I owe a guy by the name of Sal Mortilla a lot for taking the time to answer my questions and help me on the road to more money and less advertising expense and to a lesser extent to Steve Chisel but he shared ideas on a forum and did answer questions.

Sal's site Suffolk County Landscaping (http://www.landscapingunlimited.com) was made in Yahoo site builder and hosting so thats how I did my first site.

Sal took my phone calls and was generous with his time. If I didn't understand something and just couldn't get it I would call Sal and he would walk me through the steps.

As far as I know I haven't posted in your thread about getting "number one search position" it doesn't matter to me, good for you, I glad for you.

If I can help Reggie and put some items here to share it might help other people do the same steps to improve their rankings. It's all work, some people will follow,
other people might not have the time or inclination to follow or they might have a great site like yours and be satisfied,
great for them,

But you know,

all I am doing is trying to help Reggie make some money where he's not,

I am not asking him for any money,

your not posting anything to help him,

I certainly do not feel I need to prove anything to anybody,

what's your problem with me ?

jim

Turf Troll
06-23-2008, 06:14 AM
Landscaper 22 if it's okay with you I'll just keep posting here as I add to this internet marketing promotion for the lawn care site,

How are you making out with your choices for a website design tool?

I put a ad on craig's list this morning for Lawn Care Tampa (http://www.lawncaretampafl.com)

Craig's list is good for a couple of calls a month, it's free, and you can just put your phone number in, even if you don't have a website yet.

jim

Team-Green L&L
06-23-2008, 08:18 AM
Man Turf, that was a pretty defensive post to a non-aggressive question...

I have seen Sal Mortilla on here several times in the past few years and he is a good guy. What I'm confused about is the defensiveness you have demonstrated? If Reggie is interested in results they should be genuine, am I wrong? I am simply trying to encourage people to build websites that are optimized to produce good results within a search engine.

I did not mean to offend you, nor did I anticipate that happening. Intelligence moves beyond the skills in which we are blessed. It digs deep into one's character as well. I do not wish to highjack your thread and my services are never free any longer, so your niche is much different than mine.

I guess it all boils down to the century-old cliche, "you get what you pay for" or in this case..."what you don't".

kleankutslawn
06-23-2008, 09:11 AM
guys,i did not intend for this to get out of control,this is a great website for starts.all i was trying to do is get some help on my website & turf extended his self to help me with my problems and i think that that was nice of him to do so.if it doesn't work,what is lost?jim thanks for your help!

Turf Troll
06-23-2008, 07:35 PM
Ran the Search Engine Results Checker (http://www.seoserp.com/web_tools/google_top_1000_serps_checker.asp) and we are at #77 Reggie that's five days from putting the site up.

very popular for the keyword search ... good SERP...try harder you can beat Google!!!
rank # 77 ( http://www.lawncaretampafl.com/ )

Now to help ourselves a little more, if you go to this site, give the fellow your name and email he will send you comment hut lite. He is a English guy living in Nevada or Utah and every once in awhile you get a email from him, you can unsubscribe or keep getting the emails and sometimes he'll have a piece of software like comment hut sometimes he will just give you a software tool.

Comment Hut (http://www.commenthut.com)

Download and open. To use it you put a keyword ("landscaping" for us) and it finds blogs with that topic. Find a topic you like on someones blog and tell them what your opinion is on what their writing, and include a anchor text link (lawn care tampa- like the signature) and you have another link. Just try to add a decent reply,

I believe people write blogs because they want a conversation going on and your helping with a decent comment plus your the landscape maintenance guy/professional gardener - thats the other good keyword to use in comment hut "gardener". If you find a blog that ends with .edu instead of .com thats a better grade link if you can get it.

here is one you can try
http://gardeninglandscaping.wordpress.com/2008/06/16/front-yard-landscaping/

Now here is one that is on a Squidoo lens,

http://www.squidoo.com/butterflygardening

same principle just a different form of website but there looking for comments, so help them and help yourself a couple times a week by adding your link.

jim

kleankutslawn
06-23-2008, 08:18 PM
thanks Jim i'll get to it as soon as possible

goodgreen
06-23-2008, 08:20 PM
Invest in Microsoft Office 2007 and you can do your own website as part of Office Live.

kleankutslawn
06-24-2008, 07:50 AM
i already have a website,just trying to get it up higher in the search engines

Turf Troll
06-25-2008, 06:07 AM
We now have three keywords on the first page of a Google search, as we start day eight since putting the site up. although not the same page thats coming campers.

Some Stats for Lawn Care Tampa (http://www.lawncaretampafl.com)

rank # 7 ( http://www.lawncaretampafl.com/ for "lawn mowing companies in Tampa.
Results 1 - 10 of about 287,000 for lawn mowing companies in tampa

#1 for tampa lawn cleanup
Results 1 - 10 of about 127,000 for tampa lawn cleanup.

#7 for lawn mowing companies Tampa
Results 1 - 10 of about 143,000 for lawn mowing companies tampa.

Different people will get some little number serp results when checking the same keyword/keyword phrase.

jim

Team-Green L&L
06-25-2008, 11:06 AM
We now have three keywords on the first page of a Google search, as we start day eight since putting the site up. although not the same page thats coming campers.

Some Stats for Lawn Care Tampa (http://www.lawncaretampafl.com)

Different people will get some little number serp results when checking the same keyword/keyword phrase.

jim

Quite impressive work Turf. The keywords are a tad specific, but the results are genuine. I must admit that I would not consider the tactics you have discussed in my own optimization efforts, but your willingness to help Reggie and you dedication to that is quite inspiring. Good luck in your endeavors to dominate your search fields.

Turf Troll
06-25-2008, 06:29 PM
Alright Andrew, Thank You for your best wishes on our project.

The keywords are a tad specific,

I'm not sure what your meaning is,

With keywords I try to use what people or potential clients are using in the search engines, actually what their typing in to a google search since google has over 70% of the U.S. searches.

I showed part of this to Reggie when we talked over the weekend, each keyword/keyword phrase showed how many daily searches average over the last month.

Here is some information about your area and what your looking for,

here are the daily averages of what people are typing in,

5 landscaping cincinnati ohio
4 cincinnati landscaping
2 frederick landscaping cincinnati
2 landscaping in cincinnati ohio
2 landscaping supplies cincinnati ohio
2 menz landscaping cincinnati

your keywords from meta tag-
"Cincinnati, Landscaping, Lawn Care, Team Green, Team Green L&amp L, Green Team,

I try to give google what it wants "relevant results" there are 5 people a day searching for "landscaping cicinnati ohio" 4 a day for "cincinnati landscaping"
that's 270 in 30 days just for those two words (the count will fluctuate by months)

From what I understand about keywords they work best if you have the keyword in the meta tag - on the page also.

People might type in "Team Green" but if they know to search for "team green" A google local listing should turn up, but that could be argued,

From a google search of,
Results 1 - 10 of about 1,060,000 for landscaping Cincinnati,

On my screen the #1 result was evans landscaping.com ( I broke it up so I wouldn't give them a link since their not in the conversation)

Keywords from their meta tag

LANDSCAPE, mulching, best guarantee, cincinnati ohio, Ohio, Cincinnati landscaping, cincinnati pavers,

these two "Cincinnati landscaping, cincinnati pavers" are helpfull,

now I didn't go thru everything, I barely skimmed it,

Results 1 - 10 of about 398 for "www.teamgreenll.com" 417 without the www.

But when you click on them- GOOGLE says -

In order to show you the most relevant results,
we have omitted some entries very similar to the 18 already displayed. If you like, you can repeat the search with
the omitted results included.

Results 1 - 10 of about 204 for "www.evans landscaping.com"
Results 1 - 10 of about 293 for "evans landscaping.com"

For evans -
In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries
very similar to the 117 already displayed.
If you like, you can repeat the search with the omitted results included.

evans is just besting you by having more relevant links,

you have statcounter and google analytics's on your site and I would venture savvy enough to read your weblogs if you have a cpanel, where is your traffic coming from,

When I got home today I tried to read the "How to be #1 on Google" thread but at page two when Mario and you started a discussion on code I lost interest.

I saw your home town was Goshen Oh.
for a search of "landscaping Goshen Oh. or Landscaping Goshen"
Results 1 - 10 of about 237,000 for landscaping goshen oh
Results 1 - 10 of about 191,000 for landscaping goshen

you were only on the Google local listing and not in the search results,

Now your in a very competitive market,
results 1 - 10 of about 30,300 for "landscaping Cincinnati"

there are 30,300 sites optimized for landscaping cincinnati

and your 4th on the first page there

But

Results 1 - 10 of about 2,830 for "landscaping Cincinnati oh"
Results 1 - 10 of about 2,180 for "landscaping Cincinnati ohio"(remember 5 searches daily) cincinnati landscaping or landscaping cincinnati only averages 4

less than 3000 competing websites for "landscaping cincinnati oh and landscaping cincinnati ohio"
I didn't see you on the first or second page for "landscaping cincinnati Ohio"
or "landscaping cincinnati oh"

but there are plenty of other keywords and keyword combinations that you probably get visits from I am just picking the obvious and quickest for me to share.

But you can pick up another 150 visitors on average for I would venture to guess 4 to 5 months with hardly any effort.

Well gotta run out, good luck

jim

kleankutslawn
06-26-2008, 01:58 AM
Jim let me know what needs to be done on my end.oh and did i say thanks

Turf Troll
06-26-2008, 05:52 AM
Hi Reggie
Yes you did sir and your welcome,

If you could send some pictures of some homes or jobs you take care of, work you like that you would want to share with potential clients would be nice, do you have some before and after pruning/trimming pictures or just nice pictures of your clients homes.

stay cool today

jim

kleankutslawn
06-26-2008, 08:34 AM
haven't really took any pics lately,but that is something ill start back doing

Team-Green L&L
06-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Jim,

Your analysis was enlightening and I think I have neglected to place Ohio and OH in my tags. I think I will make some content and tag changes now. Thank you very much.

I would assume Evans Landscaping would have more recognized one-way links due to them being a multi-million dollar operation with over 200 employees and 4 major locations. If I could surpass their listings as a rule I would be excited.

I am certainly getting different results in my searches than you are. According to my searches. I have found my listing to be above Evans in "Cincinnati Landscaping" and "Landscaping Cincinnati". See pic attached. I am very confident in my abilities, but I am definitely convinced that you know SEO techniques as well, which is quite rare in our field, and I would love to chat with you about sites and techniques if you get a chance.

Concerning the domain name uses I referred to about Reggie's site. If you'll notice, I use both CincinnatiLandscapes.com and CincinnatiHardscapes.com as portal sites for the exact same reason you have done with Reggie. I have simply optimized the TeamgreenLL.com site with them instead of optimizing the "spammy" domain names themselves and I was suggesting that (if Reggie already has a site) that you may want to explore that method. That was all I was saying...

I think I could learn a lot from you and I love to meet folks that have the same interests as I do. Would you like me to start a new thread so I don't accidentally highjack this one?

Turf Troll
06-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Hey
Andrew,

How are you? I'll take this one bite at a time

I think I have neglected to place Ohio and OH in my tags. I think I will make some content and tag changes now. Thank you very much.

Your welcome, I do it to myself all the time, work on a site and think it's set for awhile then I come back to find it didn't do anything like it should of and I just forgot things that seem obvious on a second glance.

I would assume Evans Landscaping would have more recognized one-way links due to them being a multi-million dollar operation with over 200 employees and 4 major locations. If I could surpass their listings as a rule I would be excited.

I would guess it would be as simple as getting 100 or so text links for whatever keyword phrase your looking to own.

to chat with you about sites and techniques if you get a chance.

I may not work this weekend I'm getting burned out, I need a weekend off. Plus I am getting behind on my internet business. Will you be available.

. I have simply optimized the TeamgreenLL.com site with them instead of optimizing the "spammy" domain names themselves and I was suggesting that (if Reggie already has a site) that you may want to explore that method. That was all I was saying..

Okay I understand. I just disagree with your point of view.

I want different sites,

I don't want to jam lawn and landscaping on the same site if possible and not with the same amount of attention.

A lawn site can have pages devoted to each service a company does, if the internal pages have some links going to them you come up sometimes with a indexed second listing under the first keyword search page listing. So you have twice as much page space as before, double the chance of someone clicking on your link.

And if I have a landscaping site the main services and internal pages with each service.

And if I have one site for lawn care and one for landscaping, I should have one for just my topsoil business, I think of them as separate entities. I might not want butterflies and hummingbirds as graphics on the mowing site or topsoil site but I certainly do for the landscaping gardening site,

and thinking of that I should start a site just for native flower gardens in my service area,

So if all three come up on the same page better for me.

If you pay for two pages in the yellow pages you don't jam the exact same services on both pages you spread them out.

I don't see any reason to hope people find my services, I want to make sure they find what their looking for if I have it for sale. They don't stay on a page long, I think 7 to 15 seconds before clicking away if they don't find what they are looking for

. Would you like me to start a new thread so I don't accidentally highjack this one?

this was landscaper22 thread and it just happened,

Reggie's site was down, I do this a lot,

There is someone always asking how to get their site to do better on the search engines, so if they follow along or ask how to do it, then they can do it themselves.

It seems after simple on page seo that it's just backlinks to a site.
So add whatever opinion you might have,
you might even say at some point that some tools or results are spammy, okay -
I'll probably won't agree.
I do this to make money,
I make websites that make money.

jim

Team-Green L&L
06-26-2008, 08:30 PM
After this explanation I can understand exactly your point of view. I cannot say that I disagree with that view. I never considered the budget for 3 sites before. I think we've dropped a couple grand in our 1 site.

bone1
06-27-2008, 02:23 AM
why does some hosting sites say a domain name is taking, but when you type in the site(for the domain name) nothing comes up for it? thanks guys!

Turf Troll
06-27-2008, 07:01 AM
A backward movement,

rank # 88 ( http://www.lawncaretampafl.com/ )
for the keyword

Lawn Care Tampa (http://www.lawncaretampafl.com)

we will have to change that,,

why does some hosting sites say a domain name is taking, but when you type in the site(for the domain name) nothing comes up for it

bone1
someone may have bought the domain, changed the name servers and not published,

kleankutslawn
06-27-2008, 09:21 AM
why would we go backwards turf?

Miller Domains
06-27-2008, 10:29 AM
Ya know, the only reason that new site will come up is it repeatably says "Lawn Care Tampa" all through it. you could have easily put that on your other site Reggie. In fact I am noticing your new site doesn't even mention your business name at all.
So lets say someone sees your truck passing and they remember the name but not the number and Google "Klean Kuts lawn care" I doubt they'd ever find your new site.
I also noticed whoever designed your new site took a lot of info from your other site. I suggest, Next time try talking with your designer and asking him to just make these simple changes.

But I do remember speaking to you Reggie and saying the name of your Dot-Com wasn't very good for search engines. So the guy making that new Dot-com called lawncaretampefl.com was smart. Ive done the same with my own site.
If you Google "Wholesale Printing Tampa" I'm sure you'll find a site of mine. Simply because that is what its called. Well it has that phrase in the website name. Miller Wholesale Printing.com and then I have the keyword Tampa in the very first sentence.

Anyways Reggie like I said before I'd be happy to make any changes you want to your old site. Just email me.

Miller Domains
06-27-2008, 10:50 AM
or google "wholesale business card printing tampa" I'm number 3. The secret is the Dot-Com name combined with the web page name, then the first few words on the site. Also what he said about backlinks. that means that google also uses what they call "The Trust Factor" basically when google sees your website on other sites. along with links to and from them. it raises your trust factor.

Search engine spiders are extremely complicated and smart too. They try and cancel little tricks like using the same phrase over and over. In fact they clearly state that a page can be taken off their list for using spam methods to try and gain ranking with them.

Turf Troll
06-27-2008, 04:09 PM
why would we go backwards turf?

In our case we haven't done any promotion of the site other than here with the "text back links", after a certain point they don't help,
but it did help get us indexed and a little boost.

I have been just tuckered out over the last two weeks working almost every day with the landscape business and then nodding out at the desk whenever I get time to do my online business.

Someone who I have had dealings with for a few years has started to work with me on the internet business, I just couldn't get enough done and I was losing track of work I had out sourced we were both doing different parts of the same business model so we are working together, he knows a lot more than I do too, so he is helping while i catch up on getting more ram, backing up all my files, change over to a upgrade of a new program, and with the tampa lawn care site he is submitting different things to Google to help with so we get crawled more,

I have submitted work to people to do for the site but so far it hasn't been done. If the one fellow doesn't finish by Sunday morning I'll do it,

Look for a PM from me shortly and you can help some if you would,

Thanks

jim

Turf Troll
06-28-2008, 07:31 AM
Ok, let's have some fun,

Ya know, the only reason that new site will come up is it repeatably says "Lawn Care Tampa" all through it. you could have easily put that on your other site Reggie. In fact I am noticing your new site doesn't even mention your business name at all.

and the new site probably has all the terms below all over it and thats why it ranks so well for those terms also, NOT

So lets say someone sees your truck passing and they remember the name but not the number and Google "Klean Kuts lawn care" I doubt they'd ever find your new site.

You must have an impressive truck Reggie for people to see you driving down the road and are interested in your service, I am going to have to change my truck lettering, it usually works for me that the people in the neighborhoods I am working get my number from my truck when they see the work.
Anyway this is about finding the number on the internet when people are searching for the keywords looking for the services Reggie is offering. So yes the other domain name isn't on the new site and a site should rank well if it is the only one with that name for that name.

lets look at the keywords from the other site,

<meta name="Keywords" content="lawncare, lawn care, lawn care tampa,lawncare hillsborough, Lawn service tampa, weed control tampa, Lawn Care Carrolwood, Lawn care brandon">

Most of the keywords/keyword phrases here are not used in the text of the first site, it always helps to have them on the page if you want them for a keyword for that matter there isn't much text, it seems mostly pictures and background it looks ok, where do the keywords rank?

I also noticed whoever designed your new site took a lot of info from your other site. I suggest, Next time try talking with your designer and asking him to just make these simple changes.

Well is there really that much info on it, and since it is Reggie's site and the other one was down this one was up in maybe an hour and in maybe eight days it ranked for the terms above, how long has your first site been up Reggie and how many of the keywords/keyword phrases come up on the first page of a Google search? I haven't checked I didn't have anything to do with it,

Well I just gotta take a look :laugh:

USA (www.google.com)
Search Keywords: (Lawn care brandon) check URL: (kleankutslawncare.com)
Find ( 0 ) times listed in top 10 SERPs.
Find ( 0 ) times listed in top 100 SERPs.
..... try harder ... one day your site will become famous too ..
Find ( 0 ) times listed in top 1000 SERPs.

Alright I checked what I thought would be an easy term to get listed for and it isn't in the top 1000 for that, what keyword in the meta tag is it in the serps for???

Search Keywords: (Lawn Care Carrolwood) check URL: (kleankutslawncare.com) ranking #
rank # 604 ( http://www.kleankutslawncare.com/ )

well your first site for that keyword is only 60 pages back,

Search Keywords: (weed control tampa) check URL: (kleankutslawncare.com)

Gees another bomb - What did you pay for when you paid whoever to make that site for you Reggie ?

USA (www.google.com)
Search Keywords: (Lawn service tampa) check URL: (kleankutslawncare.com)

Gee Reggie I hope that one of these keyword phrases are easy to find and you don't have to rely on someone seeing your truck and typing in your company name to be found on the internet,

USA (www.google.com)
Search Keywords: (lawncare hillsborough) check URL: (kleankutslawncare.com)

the competition for these keyword phrases must be high, lets check this one, "lawncare hillsborough"
Did you mean to search for: "lawn care hillsborough"
well Google thought this wasn't correct,

Lawn Care Carrolwood
Google
Did you mean: "Lawn Care Carrollwood"

When it is spelled correctly (it is on your home page, the competition is three other sites are optimized for "lawn care Carrollwood"
Results 1 - 3 of 3 for "Lawn Care Carrollwood"

And I thought I just threw your site up!!!!!! :dizzy:

So now we might have a idea that it might be a good idea that the keywords in the meta tags be on the page and spelled correctly,

Search Keywords: (lawn care tampa) check URL: (kleankutslawncare.com)
rank # 146 ( http://www.kleankutslawncare.com/ )

Well here we go a winner only 14 pages and half way down the page to find your best keyword phrase,

I know I look at back at the 14th page
when I look for a company :hammerhead:

But I do remember speaking to you Reggie and saying the name of your Dot-Com wasn't very good for search engines.

Reggie kleankutslawncare is okay for a domain it has your main keyword phrase (lawn care) so it is on the easy side to get ranked for, even if you didn't have a keyword in the domain you can get a site in this industry ranked easy enough the person making the site has to know what they are talking about AND be honest with you in what is involved.

So the guy making that new Dot-com called lawncaretampefl.com was smart.

Thank You, but no I just didn't see any reason to make things difficult and I just put the site up without ever talking to Reggie,
oh and you seem to have a thing about spelling it's www.lawncaretampafl.com no "e" in Tampa.

Reggie now will you share how long the kleankuts site has been up,
and what did you have to pay for a site that people can remember the name and search for it to find you, and none of your keyword phrases come up on the first 13 pages?

Well maybe I am being overly critical, maybe it has only been a month or two and whoever sold you the site is just starting out and they sold you it for $50.00 (I still think you were over charged since they couldn't even check their spelling)

was it a friend's high school child or just someone who did it for a favor.

jim

who has a landscaping business and does the internet business when he can find time :cool2:

kleankutslawn
06-28-2008, 10:14 PM
lol jim jim jim

Turf Troll
06-29-2008, 08:38 PM
I apologize,
I should be kinder.

but if you throw stones, it goes back to sandbox rules,

There are no secrets about moving a site up in the search engines. 90% of the sites it is very easy, it might take a few months though if there is some competition.

There is simple seo items on page,

and backlinks to your site which is the part that is work.

unless your one of those guys I know who companies charge $1000 for hiring them out for a days work,

if not it is mostly guessing what works and if it doesn't you try something else

Miller Domains
06-30-2008, 07:25 PM
OK, there is another possibility. Maybe I am a graphic designer for print who taught myself how to make websites. And yes I know absolutely nothing about the Lawn Care business and used what Reggie provided me.
I have several sites that come up on the searches vary well. In fact Google "copier rentals Tampa" and two sites I made come up on the very first page. Google "Tampa copiers" or "Tampa copy machines" and they both come up right on the top of the list. Tampacopierentals.com and copierprinter.com

If I came off as rude I am sorry, but Reggie wouldn't give me any information for the site. And never sent me any changes.
Also my site is fully custom made unlike your site which is only a "Template Site" just like a million other Templates. And Reggie swore he hated the Temp[late site look. You just have a lot more information then I did.

Oh and none of this "information" Reggie has asked for was ever passed to me to help the site come up better.

Also I searched Google for "Lawn Care Service Tampa" and your site comes up number 84 as mine comes up number 119 so yes your obviously better then me.

I asked Reggie to send me some info for the site and he never did. I'm not a lawncare expert, but I do know how to build sites that look great and usually come up ok, But I'm no miracle worker.

I could name several of my sites that come up on the first page. Hell just search "copiers tampa" and copierprinter.com comes up number 3

Anyways I have sent Reggie a few emails asking for info for his site and he doesn't even answer me.

I don't think there was any reason for the mud slinging, but it'd seem better coming from you if you actually built a decent looking website instead of that garbage template you used. So it comes up number 84 but it looks terrible~

Turf Troll
07-01-2008, 06:53 AM
decent looking website instead of that garbage template you used. So it comes up number 84 but it looks terrible

you should of seen the first one, it really made your eyes hurt,

now I put the site up when I couldn't find the other one when Reggie asked a search engine results question,

when I was searching for information about having a web presence, Jim Lewis was posting on the forum and I called him up one day and asked him questions about his website and the business he received from it, Jim was very gracious and talked with me awhile cluing me in (Thanks Jim) so all the people who had time to help me along the way I owe to pay it forward,

I am not a graphic artist, I provide landscaping services mainly and have a few lawn care clients which I would rather not but their total grounds clients.
so I do not have your skills as a graphic artist ( maybe this winter I'll learn) and I learned seo on my own,

but the question is,

is it better to have a great looking site that you spent $1000 on but you can't find on a search,

or

a simple site that's on the first page or better yet at the top of the first page for it's keywords?

I don't believe spending lots of money on a site if you can't find it when people do a search for the keywords,

by the way this is the first time on the forum, in this thread twice that I haven't been civil or have been belittling some one else's efforts, but you know what they say about rocks and glass houses.

there are no secrets about getting good search results - just a lack of good information

Turf Troll
07-01-2008, 08:53 PM
rank # 58 ( http://www.lawncaretampafl.com/

jdmower
07-02-2008, 08:59 PM
So, I have been thinking of getting a site for my business. Is there any real advantage to having someone create my website from scratch for several hundred dollars vs. just using someone like godady to host it for a few dollars per month? Well, I realize some will say that with godaddy or however you use one of their templates. But my thoughts are it is a lawn care business. Only current customers and potential customers in my area even care to look at the site. So, if some other LCO across the country has the same template, who cares? But, other than that is there any real problems or any other reason not to use one of those hosting services for $10 per month or less?

You have a far better advantage paying someone to create it. You're able to have your own custom look, but you're also able to build the website to run hand-in-hand for you.

The reason I can say this is that I develop websites. I program in PHP, MySQL, AJAX, XHTML..all that good stuff. Remember the website is your brand, not some cookie-cutter job.

kleankutslawn
07-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Jim give me a call when you get a chance

Turf Troll
07-04-2008, 02:00 PM
ranking # 35: Google search engines
Search Keywords: (lawn care tampa) check URL: (lawncaretampafl.com)

Turf Troll
07-08-2008, 06:11 AM
Well it took awhile but here is the first listing of the site on the first page for "lawn care Tampa" it was there a couple days ago but I've been busy.

Here is a story on the 1st page, the phone number is at the bottom of the page,

title
Lawn Care Tampa - Get A Professional To Do It »

link
http://family.propeller.com/story/2008/07/06/lawn-care-tampa-get-a-professional-to-do-it

Here is a second listing/story

title
Lawn Care Tampa - Use A Professional (://URLFAN)

link
http://www.urlfan.com/local/lawn_care_tampa_use_a_professional/89894329.html

the phone number is at the bottom of this one also

so thats two listing s on the first page,

kleankutslawn
07-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Jim give me a call when you get a chance

Turf Troll
08-11-2008, 05:44 PM
I have been a little busy lately I haven't been checking or submitting links.
Reggie the site is on the second page of Google now for "lawn care tampa" and the first page for "lawn care tampa fl"

tradeyouraccounts
08-30-2008, 06:18 PM
SEO on sites is an on going thing and can be costly if it’s out sourced. There is a good book called “Get to the top on Google” published by nicholasbrealey.com that’s if your interested in doing it your self and want to learn some new tips and tricks.

Surfs up