PDA

View Full Version : The biggest problen with LCO's

turfman59
12-18-2001, 07:21 PM
I have really enjoyed listening to all you people over the last few days. I have learned so many technical things that it has actually encouraged me to buy into this business. The biggest problem facing us all in this business is just business ignorance. I just posted a thread about business management and nobody has replied? is it because the question I asked is only talked about in Dark Rooms, or is it because no one has the expertise to speak to it.... If it is the latter we need to educate the general LCO industry to the Management side of the business. I dont care what you mow an acre for, or what set up you have the bottom line is the Return on investment measured against total sales revenue. So many times in last 2 weeks Ive heard about loballers and the fact we would wish they would go away. MY feeling is there a product of business ignorance. So many question appear on our setups and equipment and the properties we serve. THere arent many actual threads on the Management side of the business or bottom line issues put into actual percent of investment. After 23 years in business management it is just alarming to me>>> its the Tim the Tool man scenario... MORE POWWER ERgh ergh ergh Sincerely Bruce

LAWNGODFATHER
12-18-2001, 07:39 PM
ONLY answer if you have a CPA that follows general accounting practices

That's probably why no one answered.

And I didn't see it till now.

casey
12-18-2001, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by turfman59
. I dont care what you mow an acre for, or what set up you have the bottom line is the Return on investment measured against total sales revenue.

Return on investment measured against total sales revenue is directly linked to a proper, productive set-up & effective pricing structure in your market. They are inseperable.

groundsguy1970
12-18-2001, 08:55 PM
CPA's don't all do good jobs.....some do taxes for a couple hundred bucks!:)
I think there is lots of stuff said the is revelant to the "business world" learning how to communicate is a biggie.......
Maybe not much accounting talk though, myself I just give 'em spreadsheets and he tells me what to do and how much to send where!:blush:

I think the bottom line will change depending on the weather and such and most of us here have diverse programs. We don't just do one thing.....bottom line on enhancements might be a 40% profit but maybe only 10% on turf rene overall...(some jobs may generate a 400% profit).
I don't think there is a "Rock Solid Formula" like we learn in college!

JMHO

PEACE!

Currier
12-19-2001, 12:13 AM
I think to a certain degree many lco's get by without much business savvy (sp?)...until they reach a certain level. I've been doing this for over 10 years and quite honestly I am still bad at business organization and procedures.

That said I am getting much better real fast but it wasn't until I decided to change my pricing structure and sail or quit the biz.

My problem has been that I am too nice to people that want to join in on projects with me. I never looked ahead to realize that the $$ brought in right now would have liabilities down the road. I also paid out too much and left myself short. One thing about it, a few years of screwing yourself is a great teacher. Things are much better now. I still feel the need to take some sort of business operations course.