PDA

View Full Version : a little help!

dogger
12-18-2001, 08:09 PM
I work part time for a "friend" that owns a 200 account LCO. I use his equipment (the equipment is pretty good) and average about 45 lawns a week at 40.00 a lawn. I also perform maintinance and repairs. This includes keeping all of the equipment in my garage throughout the season. I also handle all the customer interface. The cutting usually takes about 5 hrs a day and five days a week (the account are spread all over the place). A helper is sometimes used, but never more than 200.00 a week worth. I am paid a flat rate of 300.00 a week. I am getting taken to the cleaners or is the rate about right? Please help.

1MajorTom
12-18-2001, 08:31 PM
Who's truck do you use? Are you reimbursed for the fuel you use for the equipment and truck?

The cutting takes you 25 hours a week. Right there you are $12.00 an hour. How long does the equipment maintenance take you? You must factor that in also.

When you say you interface with the customers, does that also mean that you handle all the montlhy billing and dealing with any problems that may arise? Then you have to add that into your total hours.

And finally, do you report these earnings at the end of the year, or is this straight under the table?

joshua
12-18-2001, 08:31 PM
dogger, lets clear somethingsup before other people answer this, you work for him and you cut 45 lawns a week. you work 5 days a week at 5 hours a day. does that include garage time as well or not>? plus you store the equipment at your place and get paid $300. a week at a flat rate salery. and you handle the customers. so if i'm right you get paid $12 a hour. and to finish a reply you need to clear a few things up

Andy Miller
12-18-2001, 09:47 PM
I wish you were working for me. I could use the free storage too!
I am not sure if you are getting taken advantage of, alot depends on your locality and the unemployment. Storage here is running no less than $100 a month and the owners do not want wrenching to go on. Only Long Term Storage.

dogger
12-18-2001, 10:00 PM
here's where the story gets ugly. My "friend" picked up 100 of the accounts in the middle of the season with some financial backing for start up capital. First of all the prior company had not cut the accounts for at least three weeks (up to 8" of grass to cut and unhappy customers to boot) and then the start up money never materialized. I was thus forced to front all expenses including the helper for at least the first month i cut. Furthermore, my "friend only returned messages when i demanded money or i would stop cutting". I think this was above the call for duty and was promised additional money for my trouble. The money i recieved each time was only enough to cover the money i had fronted. He still owes me 1,000.00 now. I do use a provided truck, but it is a serious hassle and does not run well. The end result is that he wants me to work this uncoming season and promises that everything will smooth. Am i getting screwed or is 300.00 a fair price. P.S. as for the billing- that was a nightmare on his side of the business, but he want's me to handle the billing for my accounts next year.

grassyfras
12-18-2001, 10:28 PM
Sounds like you pretty much run his company except get clients. Why dont you just start your own?
What else would you do if you didnt work for this guy is a good question to ask yourself.

fivestarlawnken
12-18-2001, 10:42 PM
I hate to say but I think your friend is screwing you.I'm sort of confused do you have any acoounts where the money is all yours, or is the 45 accounts@40.00 per cut his.Sounds like a headache though with billing and the manit. etc,etc. My only thoughts, if it works for you and your happy doing it, then follow your leads.

Kent Lawns
12-18-2001, 10:50 PM
You're not getting shafted because you're agreeing to it.

Look, the way he's running his business, it's not going to last long and if it does, it won't be sucessful enough to take you anywhere.

Request more money. Or you should get a %. Request half the revenues and do all the work yourself.

This sounds like a deal not going far, better get what you can now.

Premo Services
12-18-2001, 10:51 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:
I am sure glad I don`t have friends like that!!!!!!!
300.00 a week and you do all the lawns,do the maint on equiptment, provide storage, and to boot you even get to handle the invoicing next season. Your hourly rate will be sooooo very low. You can flip belly bomber white castle hamburgers for almost 8.00 hr,+uniforms+free meal, and you get to work in airconditioning.

[grassyfras] Sounds like you pretty much run his company except get clients. Why dont you just start your own? What else would you do if you didnt work for this guy is a good question to ask yourself.

This is something to think about bud!!!!!!

chicks-dig-lawn-guys
12-18-2001, 11:25 PM
I get paid $10 an hour to ride around in a truck and get out to weed-eat and blow. Not far from your $12 and hour and you do a whole lot more than I do. Sounds a little cheap to me. I would most deffinently demand a raise or start my own business.

MWS LAWN
12-18-2001, 11:43 PM
You are standing in the cleaners. The work you do is worth more than you are getting paid. His making est. 1800.00 a week and only paying you 300.00. If he will not go up on your saliary, tell him you'll rather work by the hour. To cut, service, and store his equipment is at lest worth 15.00 per hour while you are working. And remember good help is hard to find, i know first hand.If he can depend on you he will pay you that, if not start your on business.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-18-2001, 11:50 PM
I pay somtimes $12 an hour for guys to sit in a truck.

But you did agree to this and by law and you have proof on here, it is a binding contract.

You are getting screwed, but that is beyond the point. The point is you are running this LCO. next season, go at it alone, or ask for much more money.

I have to agree with every one on the more money, unless you missed telling us any thing.

Currier
12-19-2001, 12:02 AM
It's a tough call because it is a personal call. Only you know your situation. At first I thought "start your own biz and work less but make more money" and then I got to thinking about how much it really costst to get into this biz and do it right: you need a truck, a decent mower, trimmer, blower, tools and knowledge for repair, time to get all the "part time" work and your other stuff done. If you are not carefull it becomes all consuming.

dogger
12-19-2001, 01:08 AM
what would be an acceptable percentage for me? 40% and the rest to him? I will be personally accountable to the customers, they will be contacting myself only. My "buddy" will be totally out of the picture for the whole season except for taking his share. Your personal opinions will definitely have an impact on my upcoming negotations.

Kent Lawns
12-19-2001, 01:27 AM
I'd start out proposing half the revenues or 50%.

Randy Scott
12-19-2001, 02:07 AM
dogger, your second post in this thread has answered your question for you. Read it back to yourself and think about what should be done. This position you are in is on the road to nowhere, at your expense. It's pretty clear to me. The guy is a clown and you're going to get in deeper, and screwed for more money than he already owes you.

Premo Services
12-19-2001, 08:49 AM
He has the equiptment, truck, and customers. You will be runing his business for him. I would go for 50% of the revenue, that sounds acceptable to me. Also there would be no more "front money to cover the expenses", thats the real azz kicker. that sounds acceptable to me. You need to take a lot into consideration when you make your decision.

awm
12-19-2001, 08:58 AM
i would agree u ought to think about doing this kind of work for your self.later now and good luck
i changed this as i think i gave some poor advice,so just deleted.
to anyone who saw it.

scott's turf
12-19-2001, 09:08 AM
What the heck is your "friend" doing? Does he have a second job that he takes advantage of his other friends? You could easily bring in $300 profit if you started up your own company next season. Without out you his business will fail and his customers will come to you. It seems like you know most of what you need to know to run it yourself. You will need some upfront money for some used equipment, but start small and work you way up. You can do it!!

AltaLawnCare
12-19-2001, 11:49 AM
You're going a little above and beyond the call of being an employee!

I know I wouldn't do it, no one is 'doing you a favor by letting you work for them'. You might as well start your own business......
of course your buddy will swear you stole all his customers, and ruined his business.

MWS Lawn..

Good to see ya posting here, Mike. :cool:

Daleman
12-19-2001, 12:50 PM
Dogger I suggest you pack up your things and move to Indiana. I will pay you 450$ a week to do the same thing you are doing for him.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-19-2001, 02:19 PM
Sounds like you need to move to St. Louis.

$450 salery 52 weeks

None of those head aches

walker-talker
12-19-2001, 03:25 PM
It sounds like you definetly have this guy over a barrel, use this to you advantage.

Grassman
12-19-2001, 04:28 PM
You're not getting screwed, you're just doing your job. You can come to work for me for $305pr.wk and if you store my equipment, I'll throw in a big, shiny nickel for ya. Russ

KerryB
12-21-2001, 11:18 AM
You know, I dont think anyone here would do what your doing for that amount of money.
In my opinion you are being screwed, glued and tattooed.
You run his co. if you go what does he have? You proved what it takes to get him motivated, stop cutting. You should get at least 50%.
If he doesnt agree just quit. You can always go back later and talk to these customers and explain the situation. Tell them that you have started your own co and would like to have them as your cust. They already know you and the kind of work you do.
And before anyone says it I know this sounds underhanded but dont you think that a so called friend is being underhanded as well? It seems to me he is taking advantage of the situation. He is no friend.

marcie
12-21-2001, 11:51 PM
dogger, run this is not a good situation for you. you are losing a "friend" either way you look at it. this could get very sticky if you stay with it. unless you just really need this guy and it sounds like you really don't you could inform the clients that you are no longer with this guy...........they will get discouraged with him and look elsewhere for their lawn care needs and you can be standing right there

Evan
12-22-2001, 10:38 AM
Man I don't even need to read 20 something replies to this, but my thoughts lose the friend.

I don't know how these guys got $12 an hour but I got $300/week divided by 40 hours is $7.50

Not sure where you're at but here McDonald's pays more than that.

In all honesty I would walk up to that guy tell him you quit and that he's got 24 hours to come get his stuff.

I think just by asking all of us for our opinion points to what you already knew, but just didn't want to admit.

Sincerely,

Evan:angry:

greenml
12-22-2001, 12:48 PM
Personally I would say try to get what you can and get away. Seems to me like you know enough about the business to run your own. Why not startup your own company and have 100% of the profits.