PDA

View Full Version : Cub Cadet Walkbehind

scagman
12-18-2001, 07:11 PM
Local dealer has a 36 cub cadet with 2 wheel sulky for $2100 new does anyone know if these are good mowers and if this is agood deal arent they made by murray

vipermanz
12-18-2001, 07:22 PM
they make some Solid lookin' stuff, I thinks it's made be Mtd, Mtd Pro Is Really Solid :)

1grnlwn
12-18-2001, 07:32 PM
Same as Lesco!

bridges
12-18-2001, 07:32 PM
Well i bought a 54" cub a few years ago and it is junk. Cuts like crap the stiring takes awhile to work. they have to warm up. Not sure if it is the same mower you are looking at. I think i paid around 3,000.00.

Tony

summitgroundskeeping
12-19-2001, 04:38 PM
no, go with a gravely. Better decks, wider exit chute, better controls. probably a better warrenty, I believe they have the same motors (kaw.), and i my opinion BETTER, for about the same low price. Won't it be hard to use a sullky w/a 36"

Eng Mwr Guy
12-19-2001, 09:37 PM
$2100 is a good price for all you say is included.

The equivalent from Gravely is about $2599 list price.

The 2-wheel sulky would be from Wright mfg not an el-cheapo.

The top speed is 7mph for Gravely vs under 6 from MTD.

The blade tip speed of the Gravely is 18990fpm vs less than 18,000 from MTD.

The warranty is 2 years parts and labor from Gravely. I am not sure what MTD's is.

The new Gravely walks have a 13HP twin Kawasaki engine and I am certain the unit you are looking at is a single cylinder....what does this mean??? Less vibration smoother power.

The Gravely has an optional double blade kit and striper kit available....the MTD has whatever you put on it but you may void some warranty if the MFG finds out about the double blades.

Of course the best way is to demo one or ask for referrals from the dealerships you are considering. The proof will be in the testing of the lawns you wish to look their best.

Good luck in your decision making process!

Barry
Gravely Guy

Eng Mwr Guy
12-19-2001, 09:39 PM
There may be some specials in the early Spring. Ask your dealer for what is possible.

Barry
Gravely Guy

Grass_Slayer
12-19-2001, 10:39 PM
I dont know where you bought a 54" cub for 3000 but id like to find it. I have one and have had no problems with it. I bought it new and on sale for 7100. It is the same as mtd pro and they do mow very well. Built strong and u can get the wb with a v twin. I have been very happy with mine but I wish I had paid the extra 1000 to get a gravely. It all comes down to how much u want to spend.

cantoo
12-19-2001, 10:44 PM
Grass_ Slayer, I think he has the tractor style cub not the ZTR.
I have the MTD Pro Z and have had good luck with it so far this year.

Grass_Slayer
12-20-2001, 08:59 PM
my dealer here said that mtd is doing away with mtd pro and turning everything into cub cadet. i think they might lose some business if they do that

and have you had any trouble leveling the deck on yours? a guy in my area nearly went crazy trying to get his leveled. mine settled a little on the left side but i brought it back up into level.

jrod

cantoo
12-20-2001, 09:52 PM
No trouble with the deck at all. Only trouble we have had is with the belts, leaving it in the travel position and turning on the blades,,, boom there goes the belt.

wriken
12-20-2001, 10:13 PM
I bought a MTD Pro, Dual Hydro 48", brand new out the door for $3100.00 recently, did'nt get much use this year, but runs and cuts good. Its a fixed deck, 16 Briggs. Was a carry over from last yr's stock. I also have The Tank, M-60, great machine. The dealer I buy from is really stocking up on the Z-turn's, sold alot of Cubs last season, He also has a carry over MTD Pro 1652, belt, good price on that one to. I know cubs get slammed alot on this site, but I'm happy with my purchases, I think most of the differant brands of W/B's and ZTR's have alot of the same drivetrain components, biggest differance I can see brand loyalty is the deck, The Cut Command deck on the tank takes no backseat to anybody, my honest opionin, the MTD deck is made out of just about what everone's else's deck is made of, 7 and 10 guage steel.;)

fivestarlawnken
12-21-2001, 10:56 PM
2100 dosen't sound too bad,careful using the sulky with it.MTD/LESCO/CUB are the same product diff colors and litle things.They are built tough and heavy.They will last if you do the correct maint. and don't abuse them.My MTD cuts better than my dads SCAG, I don't know why,but people dont believe me.

johndeere455
12-25-2001, 09:53 AM
I worked at MTD for 7 years and everything they build is junk.
They didn't like downtime so if a bolt started to crossthread there was no time to stop and fix it right just to turn up the air on the air impact and finish cross threading in. Not very good that is why I no longer work there. Lesco is a company they bought into, I don't think they have any of there cheap parts on them yet. Cub Cadet does have some of there cheap parts on them so stay away from them. If you want a good walk behind try John Deere or Toro, I use equipment from both of them and have not had a problem one from them.

I hope this helps