PDA

View Full Version : Coming soon to a yard near you.

casey
12-18-2001, 07:21 PM
Better hang on to those bi-weeklys.

http://www.ohio.com/bj/features/2000/October/28/docs/011949.htm

mdb landscaping
12-18-2001, 07:55 PM
its time we join as a lawn coalition and stop this at once :D . hopefully it wont catch on.

groundsguy1970
12-18-2001, 07:58 PM
;) SOUNDS FANTASTIC TO ME!!!!! ;)

I use regs on my turf so now I'll get to mow even LESS???????
I love it!!!

It will surely crush the competition...:cool:

BTW...
I wonder if you can still mow the SLOW-GROW grass and still use double blades and have a brown nose?:D

LoneStarLawn
12-18-2001, 08:41 PM
This is nothing new....

lawnranger44
12-18-2001, 09:01 PM
It's almost scary, the things they can do these days.

jdwilliams1
12-18-2001, 09:30 PM
I can only say that the ability to do any significant growth stopage of a living plant is scientifically impossible. Astro-turf sure that wont grow, grass, regs help alittle but it will always always always grow....period!

MATTHEW
12-18-2001, 09:34 PM
Food + water = growth. Period. Bet that stuff is lime green, too.

casey
12-18-2001, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by MATTHEW
Food + water = growth. Period. Bet that stuff is lime green, too.

"This grass is intended to be as healthy, green and pleasant as
regular grass -- it just grows half as fast as normal.
By adding an extra gene or two they have created
grasses that need less mowing and weeding,
To make it possible for homeowners to use just one weedkiller, which worked any time it was convenient, the group at Scotts took a type of bacteria that was immune to the effects of the herbicide Roundup.
The company wants to sell this grass with the brand name Roundup Ready.
Schwartz said this product may be sold as early as 2003. The first
residential product is likely to be a Roundup Ready version of
bluegrass for lawns."

chicks-dig-lawn-guys
12-18-2001, 10:13 PM
Hey we can play thier game and make a spray that will make the grass grow faster!:D

LAWNGODFATHER
12-18-2001, 10:22 PM
Nothing new, It's been out for many years.

Also they have been selling it for many years.

Chic dig guy; it's called Nitrogen/urea.

casey
12-18-2001, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by LAWNGODFATHER

"Harriman said Scotts won't be permitted to sell any transgenic
products until they've been examined by government regulators. "

They have?

1grnlwn
12-18-2001, 10:27 PM
If it grows slow, how long will it take to establish it? If yards can only be sodded its going to be expensive. What are Scotts motives? 15 applications/year?

chicks-dig-lawn-guys
12-18-2001, 10:27 PM
Nitrogen/urea huh...sounds like I need to pick me up some:)

LAWNGODFATHER
12-18-2001, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by chicks-dig-lawn-guys
Nitrogen/urea huh...sounds like I need to pick me up some:)

Fertilizer

casey they are not the only ones trying to do this. Look in the back of your trade mags.

Albemarle Lawn
12-18-2001, 10:33 PM
and covertly plant it on all customer property in case they decide to get the low mow stuff.

Ken

casey
12-18-2001, 10:38 PM
LGF,
From what I understand no trangenic grass has yet been approved for sale by govt. reg..

Kent Lawns
12-18-2001, 10:38 PM

What is is called?

What grass variety is it?

Where can you get it?

chicks-dig-lawn-guys
12-18-2001, 10:48 PM
Hey lawn pops, I know what fertilizer is....it was a joke

casey
12-18-2001, 10:55 PM

"Scotts won't be permitted to sell any transgenic
products until they've been examined by government regulators. "

Are you sure?

LAWNGODFATHER
12-18-2001, 11:23 PM
I don't know the names just read about it in the back of trade mags.

I've seen similer like slower growing types, my supplier sells them.

I don't use them. Wish I did, plant them on all trimmed areas. Until then growth reg.

casey
12-18-2001, 11:43 PM
I don't know the names just read about it in the back of trade mags.
I've seen similer like slower growing types, my supplier sells them.

But are they transgenic strains?

casey
12-19-2001, 12:17 AM
Originally posted by LoneStarLawn
This is nothing new....

http://www.gcsaa.org/gcm/2000/feb00/02talk.html

groundsguy1970
12-19-2001, 12:22 AM
:) I think it would work great until too many people started doing it and mutant seeds began their own weed sub-culture........:alien:

Then the gene pool would like a Utah Sunday School!!! :alien:

Peace:)

JimLewis
12-19-2001, 03:51 AM
I've seen stuff like this before. It's nothing very new, although this particular method may be new (genetic engineered).

Anyway, I am not too worried because
1) I don't think it will catch on very quickly if at all
2) Lawns that grow slow are also usually not very green and don't wear very well. Consider how well your lawn responds to a football game being played on it during the summer vs. during the winter or slow-growth period. Who's gonna want grass that doesn't repair itself very quickly?
3) Even if it does catch on, who do you think will be installing this stuff? ME and YOU! It would take years to get everyone switched over. Franlkly, if it did catch on like wild fire, this would be a good thing. We'd all be busy as hell installing this stuff for the next several years.
4) If we eventually did ever get to a point where EVERYONE had this stuff, fine. So we mow every two weeks instead. Now we can double our clientel very easily without hiring another crew. That isn't so bad of a prospect. The more total clients, the more security I have.

Matthew Morgan
12-19-2001, 07:27 AM
Here is the problem I see with Round up ready grasses. They will be great at first, then after a few years they will be here and there. Some of these homes will be sold, maybe a few times. Do they have a Round up ready lawn. Some may say "yes", some may say "no". If they say "yes" and it is not, guess what happens!

There will have to be some sort of mapping system or paperwork that "travels" with the house or the deed to keep track. If not, things could get confusing in the future.

Matthew:blob4:

Daleman
12-19-2001, 12:07 PM
Guess its time to get into the Reseeding business. Imagine all the opportunities!!!!

walker-talker
12-19-2001, 03:14 PM
It's called competition, people will find ways around this. Divert energies on something new. We will survive.

casey
12-19-2001, 03:53 PM
Since Scotts seems to on the leading edge of transgenic strains of turf, including Round-up ready & slow growth, a boycott of this company would be appropriate. This should also include John Deere which man. tractors for Scotts.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-19-2001, 04:18 PM
Ban the advancement of new technology!!!!!!!!!!

Casey come on.

Would you have banned the commercial WB or ZTR because it would have sped up production?

Would you ban the use of robotics in factories?

Go ahead try it. What do you think this world is all about, advancement of technology.

Autos
Trucks
Disk brakes
TV
Radio
CDs
Phones
Fuel injection
Space Shuttle
COMPUTERS
INTERNET
ETC.................

casey
12-19-2001, 09:51 PM

How about loading up on Scotts stock & making a killing when this turf strain hits the market in 2003.

walker-talker
12-19-2001, 09:57 PM
I really don't think it's going to take off like you think it is. It cost a lot of money to rip out an existing lawn and install a new one. I am not holding my breath. Business as usual.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-19-2001, 10:35 PM
See that's why I don't like this Quote thing.

Now it looks like yu have changed my words.

Casey come on.

Would you have banned the commercial WB or ZTR because it would have sped up production?

Would you ban the use of robotics in factories?

Go ahead try it. What do you think this world is all about, advancement of technology.

Autos
Trucks
Disk brakes
TV
Radio
CDs
Phones
Fuel injection
Space Shuttle
COMPUTERS
INTERNET
ETC.................

casey
12-19-2001, 10:43 PM

Now it looks like yu have changed my words.

ban the commercial WB or ZTR

ban the use of robotics in factories

;)

walker-talker
12-20-2001, 01:12 AM
I have to admit, that was a good one Casey......lol

Runner
12-20-2001, 04:33 AM
:D Mike, look what else we can do with the quote! :D

Now it looks like yu have changed. Ban the new Casey on the commercial ZTR because it would have ban the use of factories.
Go ahead try it. you think this world is all about Disk brake TV Phones

strickdad
12-20-2001, 11:43 AM
some of you (especially down south) may be familar with the "rebel" brand of fescue grasses. they have been marketing this product called "rebel jr" which is supposed to be a slow growing tall fescue and i have seen this product for about 6 years in the local feed and seed type stores. so in defense of lawngodfather HE IS RIGHT. they have been trying this for quite some time now.

casey
12-20-2001, 12:45 PM
"Rebel" Fescue blends are natural blends of Fescue. Transgenic strains of turf are new & have not yet been released or approved.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-20-2001, 01:12 PM
I never said transgenic, just that it's nothing new and has been out for many years.

Who knows maby I've even used it at times.

LAWNGODFATHER
12-20-2001, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by casey
Go ahead ban casey from driving mowers down steps.

casey
12-20-2001, 02:45 PM
I never said transgenic, just that it's nothing new and has been out for many years.

Who knows maby I've even used it at times.

If you have been using Roundup Ready turfgrasses for many years you truly are on the cutting edge of lawn care.

VLM
12-20-2001, 10:24 PM
Here we go again on the slow grow turf issue. Seems to me one inherent problem with this stuff is that even if it did perform as stated what do you do about traffic wear and die back or stress caused by disease, weather, insects etc? If it truly is slow growth then it stands to reason it will be slow to regenerate as well, leaving the homeowner with a patchwork lawn which then invites weeds and numerous other problems. I dont think we have anything to worry about.

Atlantic Lawn
12-21-2001, 07:34 AM
Just one more product/concept they will market and let fall by the wayside as time goes by.

David Gretzmier
12-22-2001, 11:43 PM
I can't believe no one has mentioned those ad's that have been in magazines for years about amazoy zoysia grass. it made all the promises and included quotes from homeowners

" I never watered it through 6 weeks of drought! my neighbors yard died , and mine was lush and green! "

"I only cut it 3 times last year, and I am cutting less often this year than last!"

"It chokes out all other grasses and weeds! I use no chemicals and my lawn is the pride of the block!!"

" all my neighbors mow on saturday while I watch! I only cut 4 times last year! I love my amazoy!! "

order 300 plugs the size of a dime for 29.95 and receive free plugger!
600 plugs and get 300 free!!!

yeah right.

Dave g

casey
12-23-2001, 04:54 PM
Zoysia grasses are extremely climate & light restrictive and are a result of interbreeding of different grasses. They will also be killed with Roundup. The scary thing about the Roundup Ready & slow growth trangenic turfgrasses is that they will perform as advertised in various climates.