PDA

View Full Version : One stop spot spray

sedge
05-18-2008, 05:28 PM
Okay guys,

Bermuda grass

spot spraying

Is it possible to have a reasonably priced one stop spot spray treatment for the majority of weeds we see in Bermuda in this area?

One for cooler temps and one for warmer temps is ok.

Some of the more common weeds, but as you know, there are more :-( Johnson (hate that guy), dallis (hate that city), crab, quack, wood sorrel, hen-bit, healall, sand bur, nut sedges and so on and so fourth....... :cry:

Any ways, trying to come up with a mix that will do justice to most. Being time is so expensive, I am of the thought it is better to have 1 (if possible) or 2 back packs then 3 or 4 for specific weeds and do some over lapping.

I know greendoc mentioned 1.5 oz MSMA, .37 oz Simazine, .26 oz Image, .37 oz 2. 4-d ester and .18 Banvel. Some one else mentioned .73 oz MSMA, .73 oz Surge, 2.75 oz Ammonium Sulfate.

Any other thoughts?

Az Gardener
05-18-2008, 05:48 PM
I'm not that experienced with the different chems but I have noticed we have much more success when we spray between 5:00-6:30 am before it gets up over 95-100 and the sun gets too high.

We run maint crews and we used to spot spray when the crew is there for their regular service. I started doing spot spraying for nutsedge like this in the am and it was the only way I have been able to get it under control. So if we are going for the nutsedge we might s well hit everything else as well. Spurge and nutsedge are my predominant summer weed problems.

My logic was that the stomata were more likely to be open in the early morning and take up more chemical.

ted putnam
05-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Okay guys,

Bermuda grass

spot spraying

Is it possible to have a reasonably priced one stop spot spray treatment for the majority of weeds we see in Bermuda in this area?

One for cooler temps and one for warmer temps is ok.

Some of the more common weeds, but as you know, there are more :-( Johnson (hate that guy), dallis (hate that city), crab, quack, wood sorrel, hen-bit, healall, sand bur, nut sedges and so on and so fourth....... :cry:

Any ways, trying to come up with a mix that will do justice to most. Being time is so expensive, I am of the thought it is better to have 1 (if possible) or 2 back packs then 3 or 4 for specific weeds and do some over lapping.

I know greendoc mentioned 1.5 oz MSMA, .37 oz Simazine, .26 oz Image, .37 oz 2. 4-d ester and .18 Banvel. Some one else mentioned .73 oz MSMA, .73 oz Surge, 2.75 oz Ammonium Sulfate.

Any other thoughts?

Sounds like a "witches brew". Witches brews can be dangerous as well as expensive. Dangerous because let's face it, we spray lawns, we aren't chemists for DuPont and some things react together and can also have a synergistic effect when combined with other products. Expensive because there's no need in spraying some high dollar specialty herbicide on every weed in the lawn just because it's "in the mix". I deal with 90% bermuda lawns in my area and I can cover 99% of my weeds with 3 hand sprayers. Usually I only have to pull 2 of those.

greendoctor
05-19-2008, 05:38 AM
Sounds like a "witches brew". Witches brews can be dangerous as well as expensive. Dangerous because let's face it, we spray lawns, we aren't chemists for DuPont and some things react together and can also have a synergistic effect when combined with other products. Expensive because there's no need in spraying some high dollar specialty herbicide on every weed in the lawn just because it's "in the mix". I deal with 90% bermuda lawns in my area and I can cover 99% of my weeds with 3 hand sprayers. Usually I only have to pull 2 of those.

That tank mix is NOT to be spot sprayed under any circumstances. I will only apply this to lawns that are infested with broadleaves, grassy weeds, and sedges. It is applied through a callibrated boom sprayer or pressure regulated wand. Otherwise, I do not believe in tank mixes or spot spraying. Having said that, the above mix applied to a bermuda or zoysia lawn will clean it up such that I do not need to spot spray. Thereafter, the lawn stays on simazine, Image, or Gallery as preemergent herbicides. I do not use root pruning herbicides in my area, so no Pre-M and no Dimension on bermuda. Either a lawn has enough weeds to justify a broadcast application or it does not.

ted putnam
05-19-2008, 09:56 AM
I answered the way I did because he was asking about "one stop spot spraying". I took this as he was looking for a hand sprayer mix that allows a person to use one sprayer on every stop to kill all weeds. There just isn't any one herbicide and its not practical and potentialy dangerous to have a "witches brew" for every lawn. My intent was not to offend or question anyones knowledge and I hope it was not taken that way.

sedge
05-19-2008, 10:37 AM
I answered the way I did because he was asking about "one stop spot spraying". I took this as he was looking for a hand sprayer mix that allows a person to use one sprayer on every stop to kill all weeds. There just isn't any one herbicide and its not practical and potentialy dangerous to have a "witches brew" for every lawn. My intent was not to offend or question anyones knowledge and I hope it was not taken that way.

Ted,

I think it was more towards me, not you. I was the one that added spot spraying to his posting. My bad.

On the spot spraying note, I know "1" spot spray mix cannot and should not be a cure all or the "only" one. I was more towards directing it to keep the additional backs packs off from the truck and having too re-walk the yards. 2 back packs would be okay, but not 3 or 4 like I see some guys have. Time is of a bigger value then the cost savings for having that many back packs in my mind at least. That is why I posted the question. maybe my bad that i didn't explain it or ask it correctly.

Ric
05-19-2008, 11:03 AM
Sedge

I have done well with Drive 75 and 3 way, as a Bermuda cocktail.

ted putnam
05-19-2008, 09:39 PM
Sedge,here's my handsprayer/backpack lineup. (1) sedgehammer (2) Manor (3) MSMA/Sencor. #3 is for Bermuda lawns only!!!!!!. The manor kills an extremely broad spectrum of broadleafs,excellent control of buttonweed and kills foxtail and bahiagrass. I can spray 95% of my bermudas with #1 &#2. #3 will take care of almost any other grassy weed that I come across in the other 5%. Typically those are new lawns that will get the grassy weed series anyway. When I start my grassy weed series I will fill MSMA in the skid and will leave #3 open for other uses.