PDA

View Full Version : My First Water Feature- River into Pond

sheltervalley
05-18-2008, 07:15 PM
Here are the pictures after today. I'll get some up of the completed feature in a few days when its all done. As I said, it is my first one so I'd like it if you could let me know what you think of it so far, and maybe even give some suggestions for me to consider when selecting and placing the stone and selecting the lighting.

DeVries
05-19-2008, 12:19 PM
Got any finished pics?

Toker
05-19-2008, 04:31 PM
Bet he will when he gets it done - he stated so last night when he postd these.

I know we all think we want to work thru the night but .... lol
Hold on - they a comin'

sheltervalley
05-20-2008, 06:41 PM
I am not finished yet as you can see in the pictures. I got some stone placed today, so here are a few pictures of what I have so far. I have six larger boulders, but the majority is smaller stones, Pennsylvania river stones and then 1-3 inch river rock. In the second picture you can see one effect I was trying by using only river rock. The third is a bit of a trickling waterfall into the rock which is giving me some good sound. The fourth and fifth pictures show how I have been using my larger stones. This is just my first placement and I'm sure I'll get a better feel for it and the stone will get moved quite a bit tomorrow. Anyways, let me know what you think, and I'd like to hear suggestions.

dcgreenspro
05-20-2008, 06:47 PM
boy, I would love to learn how to do that...looks great

Venturewest
05-21-2008, 07:31 AM
Looks like you are doing a good job. You wanted some suggestions for your rock placement. Your stream looks pretty straight and uniform. I would take some of your big rocks and put them right in the steam a little offset from the middle in a manner that forces the water around one side of the rock. You will have to use waterfall foam. You can alternate sides of the stream with your big rocks and you will force the water to travel in curves like a natural stream, instead of straight down.

Your end result will be so much better when you do this. Are you a landscaper or homeowner?

allinearth
05-22-2008, 07:09 AM
Pond may be a little small for the stream. I would have put in a skimmer. Otherwise looking good.

STL Ponds and Waterfalls
05-24-2008, 04:39 PM
I second what Venture West and Earthworker said. You have enough liner to pull it back dig in a pocket and set some bigger boulders in the side of the stream. You still have time to put a skimmer in and it will help greatly!

Here is my first pond and I would do a tone of things different.

sheltervalley
05-24-2008, 05:38 PM
I have put a few of my larger boulders jutting into the stream to divert the waterflow somewhat. Looking at these photos, it seems that I may need some even larger boulders jutting into the stream. My customer likes that cedar lying across the stream, I am still undecided. I am looking into a skimmer. Here are a few new photos.

Lite4
05-24-2008, 09:48 PM
Very good effort for your first pond. If I were to give some suggestions I would have tried to make the stream less straight, but I understand that is challenging when you are not working with a super large stream and you don't have a ton of elevation to work with. Ron with Venture West made some good suggestions. I would probably upsize your pond and pump a bit for the size of stream you have. How high does the water level come up to when you unplug the pump? Does it overflow the pond? Did you put in an overflow? If I was going to light this one it would be down lighting from the conifers surrounding the stream. About 20-25 feet above the ground. Good start though. you should have seen my first waterfall and pond. It was a disaster.

sheltervalley
05-25-2008, 09:46 AM
Thanks for your advice. Yes it would overflow, although in this particular case it is not a huge problem since the side it would overflow to is bordered by a ditch. However I would like to know how to create an overflow because I've got ponds coming up where overflows will be necessary. I like the idea of down lighting and today I will be taking care of the lighting, hopefully I'll have some photos up tonight. What type of lights should I be looking for to downlight from 20 or so feet?

Lite4
05-25-2008, 12:50 PM
You want to make sure you use fixtures with very long shrouds. Cast, and Unique make some good ones. Probably just a 20 watt BAB will be sufficient.

Summit L & D
05-26-2008, 07:17 PM
Our clients like the ability to shut their waterfalls off from time to time...so we build in that ability. I don't know if that is something that you planned on or not, but you really need to consider it. You said that overflow would be no big deal as there is a ditch near by, in my opinion it IS a big deal. You really need to plan ahead for how much water will drain back into the pond portion, and account for it in the size of the pond. If you are planning on mulching around the pond, the mulch is going to wash every time you turn the pump off. If you excavate some soil on one end of the pond (closest to the ditch) and fill the area in with river rock, creating a "dry" stream to the ditch, it will help the overflow to be less troublesome.

Something else to consider when you are designing a pond and stream/waterfall is the environment you are putting it in. I think for the area that this pond is placed you should incorporate more drift wood to soften the overall look. I think there are a few boulders that should be set deeper into the ground. You might see if you can go back in and add a good amount of soil around the edges of the stream and pond...so it doesn't look like it was just stuck back there in the trees, but actually a part of the native landscape.

Just some ideas.

LawnVet
05-27-2008, 08:51 AM
Good project to get the feet wet. One suggestion I'd add to what the others have said is that I would extend the rock in a few places to break up the straight line and soften the edges. Maybe surround one of the trees at its base and push the river rock outward. When you light it send more pics...I'd like to see that downlighting through the cedars.

sheltervalley
06-04-2008, 11:03 PM
Here are a few pictures of it at night with the lights on.

TPendagast
06-08-2008, 05:38 PM
As a suggestion you should have put a trench all the way around your liner about 8" to a foot from the edge of the pond and tucked your liner in. Then covered and compacted the trench. This makes for a neater and more uniform edge, easier to hide the liner and when you get into making bigger deeper ones, it will give you more anchor. That way when you start placing your rocks the liner doesn't start sliding on you.

Been building water features since 94, learned the hard way.

I built several 1/4 mile long ones is St. George Utah, that was a hoot learning how to do that.

genesgreen
06-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Looks natural. I liked it without the small stones there too. :clapping: