PDA

View Full Version : looking into doing lighting

jds720
05-18-2008, 08:59 PM
Ok so im currently doing lawn service, and im really interested in lighting.
What are some thing i should know about getting in to it?

Chris J
05-18-2008, 09:08 PM
Before getting into the lighting industry, you should go to college. Get yourself a degree in law or medicine or something. It pays better, and you will work less.

David Gretzmier
05-18-2008, 09:10 PM
Do the lighting industry a favor- before you install anything, read several books on low voltage lighting. search the threads here and you'll find several that are reccomended. sign up for every lighting installation class you can find at your local irrigation suppy shop.

research the threads here and pay attention to what lights, transformers, tools, etc, that the pro's use. Helpful hint- If it is for sale at Lowes, Home Depot, or any chain store, pro's don't use it. We only buy and install top notch stuff you can get at landscape distributor houses and some select internet companies.

some things, such as wire, waterproof connectors, cutting/stripping tools, are available in chain stores.

If you truly want to serve the public, then learn/understand voltage drop, amp load, and the difference between daisy chain and hub method for installation.

If you read threads here, You'll discover a common theme- we go behind guys that REALLY don't know what they are doing, and have to clean it up and do it right. Be the guy that does it right, not the guy we have to go behind.

jds720
05-18-2008, 09:12 PM
Thanks! I DONT wanna be that guy!!!

jds720
05-18-2008, 09:13 PM
Well im a firefighter, me and college...not yet, love my job to much! And it pays well, plus mowing, plus RN wife. This would be fun

Chris J
05-18-2008, 10:11 PM
There is a firefighter here that has done exactly what you are talking about doing: lighting for side money. I don't think I've ever met a fire man who didn't have a second job. There is a fireman here who does lighting part-time, and I've repaired about a dozen of his systems. Do as David suggested. Learn before you start, and practise on your own home. Fire fighters have a good reputation among Americans right now, so don't ruin that by creating a reputation for firemen that they are just out for some more money with no clue as to what they are doing. The guy here is doing just that.

jshimmin
05-19-2008, 06:50 AM
Another important item, Florida requires a low voltage license be held.

Pro-Scapes
05-19-2008, 07:19 AM
Another important item, Florida requires a low voltage license be held.

Excellent point. No license no work.

NightScenes
05-19-2008, 07:45 AM
Read, read, read!! Before I got started I spent a couple of months reading books from Janet Moyer, Randall Whitehead, Michael Rains, etc. I also spent a lot of time online reading forums like this one. I've always thought that it's better to learn from others than to learn the hard way.

There is a ton of stuff on this site that covers every aspect of this business so sit back and start reading (disregarding all of the bs that is included at no additional charge).

Finally, join the AOLP, www.aolponline.org !! You other guys didn't think that I would let this go, did you?

jds720
05-19-2008, 07:49 AM
Thanks guys!

JoeyD
05-20-2008, 09:51 AM
I actually know a fire fighter who is very succesfull as a lighting guy as well. He is out of AZ.

My adivce would be to listen to the advice given here by the pros on lawnsite, next would be to get into a training seminar or 2. Buy and read a few books on lighting http://www.uniquelighting.com/education/Bookpage.html

and get yourself a demo kit. You need ot start geting familiar on what lights do what. A Demo Kit will enable and allow you to practice on your home, friends, neighbors, and relative. You need to understand what ligths do what with certain surfaces and plants. For th emost part it is like anything else, you will learn with time and experience. The more demo's you do to get started the faster you will become a better designer.

You can always contact me for more info.

Tomwilllight
05-21-2008, 01:40 PM
Hi, I just posted a couple of suggestions under the "Looking to Learn..." thread. They may be interesting for you too.

Tom
WLLD.us