PDA

View Full Version : See what they can do

Chestnut Oaks Prez
05-18-2008, 10:22 PM
This is a spec house across the street from one of my yards. Saw this sign in the yard and thought to be pretty funny. Never used Trugreen but if they turn this around without resseeding they have my Kudos.

Chestnut Oaks Prez
05-18-2008, 10:31 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread. This yard was a bermuda last year. Total kill and reseed with fescue in October. I think it turned out great for no more rain than we had.:)

ProStreetCamaro
05-18-2008, 10:48 PM
Didn't want to start a new thread. This yard was a bermuda last year. Total kill and reseed with fescue in October. I think it turned out great for no more rain than we had.:)

That really did turn out great! I have never dealt with bermuda or any of those southern grass but I have heard that its hard to get rid of it 100%? Fescue is so much nicer looking than the warm climate turf. I went to florida last year and for the first time in my life got up close and personal with st augustine. Man was that some nasty thick bladed grass. It was so stiff I wouldnt have wanted to walk bare foot on it.

FIRESCOOBY
05-18-2008, 11:59 PM

Looks great. Mind to share you process in re-seeding or is it sod?

Thanks

LawnPro19
06-22-2008, 11:17 PM
bump... im also interested as i am currently building and would like to have a fescue yard... two questions chestnut... 1. can i have successful fescue in southern louisiana?? 2. how would i go about it???

TheChiefsLawnCare
06-22-2008, 11:30 PM
That really did turn out great! I have never dealt with bermuda or any of those southern grass but I have heard that its hard to get rid of it 100%? Fescue is so much nicer looking than the warm climate turf. I went to florida last year and for the first time in my life got up close and personal with st augustine. Man was that some nasty thick bladed grass. It was so stiff I wouldnt have wanted to walk bare foot on it.

HAHA thats to funny. St. Aug, its not gonna rip your poor little feet to shreds lol. Yeah its a thick bladed grass. But I no what you mean we have a mix of the bermuda and St Aug in our yard at home and the Bermuda is a lot softer to the eye and the feet. But still, dont be scared to walk bare foot on it, you wont get cuts. Ive lived here all my life and never once has St Aug cut my feet when I walk barefoot on my grass.

CALandscapes
06-22-2008, 11:35 PM
bump... im also interested as i am currently building and would like to have a fescue yard... two questions chestnut... 1. can i have successful fescue in southern louisiana?? 2. how would i go about it???

No, it gets too hot here.

You might want to think about going the Zoysia route, though.

Chestnut Oaks Prez
06-22-2008, 11:45 PM

Forget it man!!:laugh: We are pushin it up here where we are. Zoysia would be my choice if we couldn't have fescue.:)
Somebody asked about how we did the refurbished yard. Sprayed the bermuda like 5 times with round-up starting Aug 1. October we core aerated like 3 times and put 50lb per 5000 sf of Defiance Fescue seed. No rain and it took till like Dec before it looked good.:hammerhead:

LawnPro19
06-22-2008, 11:56 PM
so zoysia would be fine down here?? and what kind of zoysia would you recommend??? see i service all st. aug. and cent. yards so i dont know a whole lot about anything else!!! thanx again for your help!

DLCS
06-23-2008, 12:03 AM
Amazing the difference between the northern and southern lawns. I get sick of kyb, rye and fescue lawns. So much difference between regions. BTW i like the second pic.

Chestnut Oaks Prez
06-23-2008, 12:07 AM
so zoysia would be fine down here?? and what kind of zoysia would you recommend??? see i service all st. aug. and cent. yards so i dont know a whole lot about anything else!!! thanx again for your help!

I'm a fan of the wide blade stuff- Empire, Zenith, Meires. Not so much Emerald because of thatch and like walkin on straight up pine needles:laugh:

CALandscapes
06-23-2008, 08:57 AM
I'd go Empire. Like Prez said, it's one of the 'softer' varieties, as well as being readily available around here.