PDA

View Full Version : Looking to learn...

Grass Happens
05-19-2008, 12:43 AM
I've done some lighting for my internship, but nothing even close to what I see on this forum. From lurking around here, I figured what i did was pretty low skill. I was wondering if any of you who live in warmer climates are interested in teaching someone in the winter months when I have down time, and I am assuming your still able to work.

extlights
05-19-2008, 01:19 AM
You can p.m. me if you want. I don't know how far you want to travel but we aren't that far of a drive from where you're at. We work until the ground freezes so it's possible that your season might be almost over and we could still have some work.

NightScenes
05-19-2008, 08:48 AM
We work year round down here in central Texas and I'm always willing to teach. You can pm me if you like.

JoeyD
05-20-2008, 10:53 AM
I've done some lighting for my internship, but nothing even close to what I see on this forum. From lurking around here, I figured what i did was pretty low skill. I was wondering if any of you who live in warmer climates are interested in teaching someone in the winter months when I have down time, and I am assuming your still able to work.

Contact Tom Callahan in IL. He is our rep, he could come out and do some hands on training with you. His number is 224-330-7904.

You can always contact me as well.

Tomwilllight
05-21-2008, 02:34 PM
You've had some generous offers from several very accomplished individuals here. You should take advantage of them as you are able.

Please allow me to offer some additional advice:

1 - Go to - www.janmoyerdesign.com/ - check her web site
2 - While there, check out the Landscape Lighting Institute. Jan is now able to offer scholarships for students. These grants are made possible by support from a number of the industry's major players.
3 - Buy and read her book - it's not cheap nor is it an easy read. It will be the best money and time you've ever spent.
4 - LSL is very technical, you must master that information & practice.
5 - LSL is can be an ART FORM and if treated as such, requires rigorus training. Get your training from the best. I think most folks in this business will agree that Jan Moyer sets the standard for all of us and it's a very high standard.

Tom
WLLD.us

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-22-2008, 09:33 AM
I have to agree with Tom. I recently had the opportunity to spend some time with Jan Moyer at her home & studio. I left completely re-energized, enthused, enlightened and quite impressed. Jan has an unparalleled level of experience and a completely unique methodology to designing outdoor lighting systems. She is also one of the most warm, friendly, and genuinely nice people you would ever want to meet.

I know that Jan's Lighting Institute is fully booked up for 2008, and there is a waiting list, but I would think that it should be put on a 'must do' list for anyone looking to get into the outdoor lighting profession in a serious way. It might not be for the all of the 'seasoned pros' out there... but for a start-up, I will bet you it would shave years off of your learning curve to attend.

Get "enlightened" & have a great day.

Grass Happens
05-22-2008, 10:29 PM
Wow. Thank you all for your offers and suggestions, I will be PM-ing you later as i slow down. I have heard of Jan, and my Landscape design teacher showed us her book, which is in my colleges library, so i definitely will study it later.
Again, thank you all for your time and suggestions!
josh