PDA

View Full Version : Transformer location

12l12
05-19-2008, 03:10 AM
I was wondering where do you guys typically install your lighting transformers? Inside the garage, attached to the outside of the house, out in the yard, etc?

INTEGRA Bespoke Lighting
05-19-2008, 09:51 AM
Where ever they need to be installed...

If you are installing inside of a structure watch out for the rated use of the transformer. Some are not rated for interior installations. Also be cognizant of the Code requirements for running the wire through the wall to the exterior.

If you are installing the transformer on the exterior of the home, then try to pick a discreet location that has accessibility but is out of view.

If you are installing in the middle of a yard, you can use a 4x4 post, again located discreetly, or with the use of stainless steel hanger bolt assemblies (they allow you to back off hardware as the tree grows out) , you can hang the transformer on the side of a large mature tree. (let er rip guys... fact is, yes you can do this installation technique properly with the right hardware and the right trees)

If none of this appeals to you, you can use subterranean transformers but these can be problematic if the containers are not up to snuff. I would recommend the Qtran QVAULT enclosure (along with the rest of the Qscape line) for this application.

For those of you hanging transformers in relatively visible locations, you should know that Nightscaping produces all of its T and H3O series of Powercenters in Copper as well as Stainless Steel. I dont know of any other manufacturer making copper transformers. They tie in very nicely with all of the other copper treatments that are being installed on custom homes these days.

Regards.

David Gretzmier
05-20-2008, 01:47 AM
I install mine outside, on the home, preferably on fireproof material- brick, stone, nearest to the lights I can get, very near an outlet or near where an outlet can be easily installed.

JoeyD
05-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Transformers get installed in all different locations. TF location is usually determined by your power availability. Our Units allow for you to install inside of a garage or ventilated crawl space like an attic or basement. Make sure you look and verify if the unit you are using is first allowed to go inside before installing. Some homeowners like for their units to be in a garage near their irrigation controllers.

Establishing your power and determining your transformer locations is one of the first things you should do upon creating or finishing your initial design. Know there are lots of different products available to you to help make your job easier. You dont always have to go on a wall. We have a Direct Burial unit that works really well in situations where you just cant mount an above ground unit. James eluded too a Copper unit which can be very useful in areas of visability. We make a Weathered Brass unit for the same reason.

One other thing, if you choose a location where there is already an existing outlet you should always test and ensure there is room on that circuit. It is always best to have a dedicated outlet but one thing is for sure, you should know what the current load is ont hat outlet because murphy's law says you will trip the breaker if you dont test it.

extlights
05-20-2008, 11:08 PM
We install all of our transformers outside for future service reasons. It's nice that we don't have to worry about someone being home to service the system. All of our transformers are powdercoated to blend in with the color of the home as well, and we will have our electrician install a dedicated outlet for all transformers in a nice hidden area. It works out well for us.

12l12
05-23-2008, 07:48 AM
Thanks for the info everybody. The copper transformer sounds interesting.