PDA

View Full Version : Helping Hand

V.H. lass
12-19-2001, 09:50 AM
I have a customer that I removed leaves for, he is a older man in his fifties and in good shape. Whenever I come out to do the yard he always come out with his 5hp lesco to help. He pays me the price I asked everytime. Does not try to lower the price. He is a hell of a good work with alot of energy. ( pulling tarp and all) I should ask him to wor for me:D

He said he has been taking care of his yard for almost 30 years by himself and I am the first person he has asked to help. I guest it is hard to let go?

lawnranger44
12-19-2001, 10:35 AM
Thats pretty funny but thats cool. I guess it would feel weird though.

Green_Thumb_Wolf
12-19-2001, 12:07 PM
I know how you feel Lass. I have an older female client that is used to being very independant! She doesn't actually help, but comes outside and watches and talks to me about everything I do. Everytime I turn around she is there. She is sweet though. Just wants to still be a part of it I guess. :)

The fact that you are dealing with it is great I think. Too many times we forget our older generations. My only concern on my end is the liability if something happens so I am extra careful and take it a little slower at her house, If you know what I mean.

Good luck to you. :blob4:

chicks-dig-lawn-guys
12-19-2001, 12:29 PM
I cut a yard of an 89 year old woman. Last year I would see her out in the yard trimming and edging with what looked like a a fruit peeling knife. She would go along the whole house and around her flower beds and such. She is a real sweet lady who is getting el-timers. Feel bad for her when I go to get the check cause it takes her a good 5 minutes to write it...still thinks the year is 99.

Randy Scott
12-19-2001, 05:59 PM
It is hard to deal with this type of situation for me. I like to be nice to people and sometimes you feel for the elderly that are most likely bored, but at the same time, I am here to make a living and would prefer if they would stay out of the way. The liability point brought up is a good one. Sometimes hard to juggle these situations.

awm
12-19-2001, 06:41 PM
hmm in his 50s huh. oh well

walker-talker
12-19-2001, 07:54 PM
I had a guy like this help me last spring. I was hauling so old grass clippings off for him. I told him that he didnt have to help, but he insisted. He then later gave me a beer and chewed the fat with me. I also had a case where an older, mildly ******ed man would follow me everywhere I would go. In this case I expressed that I was concerned about his safety and he would be better off watching me from the front porch. He understood.
MATT